SVP/Yankee Lightbar from CL discussion

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Looking at the pictures and it doesn't appear to be a sealed beam version. It has at least 4 rotators and what appear to be either code3 LP style or aerodynic style rotators...

Did they make a version of this bar that did not have the sealed beams?

Somewhat local for me.. but not interested.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Not home brew, I had a catalog showing those non sealed beam rotators available for more FPM.

acklover

Apr 28, 2014
Southern Indiana
Its a legit bar. That version is fairly rare, most still out there now are the self contained motor/rotors. If it worked 100%, $150 isn't a bad deal.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
If your close by distance wise.. toss out an offer say $50 and see if he bites.. It has been on CL awhile and you probably could recoup that by parting it here on elb.. worst case scenario...

just saying.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I got it.......its dirty and the domes need polished, but no cracks and after I wired it properly all 4 rotators work. This one does not have the sealed beams, but separate rotators and separate motors. The thing spins like crazy. I'll throw out some more pics soon. I started to clean it up and should have it back in shape in the next day or two.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
This bar is tagged as a Yankee 911-56. From what I can find that model bar usually had the sealed beam rotators. Id be interested to find out more on this type of Yankee bar. It also has both complete feet and tie down brackets. The speaker is missing.100_5301.JPG 100_5302.JPG

Reactions: jph2

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Im not sure what to think. Some say the bar could be ordered this way. Maybe homemade? Would love to know more. It spins like a mad man, very fast and really shows its stuff.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
The whole thing is hacked. The mirrors were NEVER mounted that way, The rotators appear to be Code3 LP rotators and the wiring is non-factory. The housing and base is just as it states but someone got at it and gutted it out, sorry. It obviously looks better w/ the domes on but for $50, the domes are worth THAT!

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
894 is right...hacked Yankee 911 (also the same as Dietz/NAPA) and the domes are worth the price (they are "sloped" on both ends, right?). I have Dietz rotators (high and low fpm), flasher pods and V-mirrors if you want to restore. A 911-56 would be outboard rotators and inboard flashers...Dietz had inboard rotators as an option. If you want a red dome, I'll swap with you. :)
IMG_0015.JPG
Dang...it always loads inverted...:mad:

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Thanks for the information guys. I do appreciate it. I figured Id try to save it anyway, and some on here indicated that it was an original piece. I cant see putting anymore money into it at this point. For now I think its going out into the garage away from the rest of the collection. I can turn it on during our garage sales and run a blue light special like K-Mart used to do.

Reactions: Skulldigger

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
894 is right...hacked Yankee 911 (also the same as Dietz/NAPA) and the domes are worth the price (they are "sloped" on both ends, right?). I have Dietz rotators (high and low fpm), flasher pods and V-mirrors if you want to restore. A 911-56 would be outboard rotators and inboard flashers...Dietz had inboard rotators as an option. If you want a red dome, I'll swap with you. :)
View attachment 161564
Dang...it always loads inverted...:mad:
Nope, only sloped on one side. Other side is straight

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
That thing cleaned-up nice! If Maxim has the parts for a resto-go for it! Those are cool old bars...
I remember independent rotators offered in those but I think they had 3 per side and were probably the guts from the smaller beacons (maybe the 7-46?) installed in those. I remember a little "shelf" built lengthwise on each side to raise the rotators higher inside the bar. Take a peek in the Dietz catalog section that John put together, there might be a pic of one of the independent- rotator bars in there...

Nope, only sloped on one side. Other side is straight
Interesting...as you can see from my pic, the Deitz domes were sloped on each end. Jeff. Co. PD ran these bars with a Q in the center--because these Fords were 1975-78, I'm inclined to think Deitz sold Yankee the production and Yankee change the design. The Dietz catalogs are from '86 and shows a completely different design. The Yankee catalog shows the 911-56 had outboard rotators with V-mirror (facing outboard) with inboard flasher pods. The JCPD Dietz had fast rotators inboard, V-mirror facing forward and slow rotators outboard. The mirror and rotator design remained the same. Also curious, the Yankee catalog shows the mini bar with the domes sloped on each end. Bet Yankee changed the design to get more speaker drivers under the covers....
Sorry, more than $0.02.
image-png.156254

Reactions: jph2 and Tony P

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Interesting...as you can see from my pic, the Deitz domes were sloped on each end. ...
With speaker center yankee used other domes than on the open center bars!
On the open center bar they used the same dome (with both sides sloped) as on the 22" mini bar.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Interesting...as you can see from my pic, the Deitz domes were sloped on each end. ...
With speaker center yankee used other domes than on the open center bars!
On the open center bar they used the same dome (with both sides sloped) as on the 22" mini bar.

That would mean a different speaker tray as well as domes...guess they switched designs and used up old inventory until it was gone. It wasn't uncommon for auto manufacturers in the 50s to use prior year parts (grills, trim, etc.) on new model production if it was similar. That also means they could not use inboard rotators...not enough room.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Sorry it didn't turn out as hoped with the rotators, but I agree you did a great job cleaning it up. I like that you switched a blue dome for a red and, if it were mine, I'd want to restore it to 911-56 specs. Back in the day, I really only liked TwinSonics and everything else was just a knockoff. Nowadays, I appreciate the Dietz/NAPA/Yankee bar's style and unique characteristics. Thanks for the pics of your bar; the before/after is night and day. :)

Reactions: acklover

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.