Swapping heads in a Whelen Super LED Slimlighter

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
Hoser said:
Has anyone ever switched the light heads out in a Slimlighter? Looking to change some over from AA to RA. Just wondering what other Whelen heads would work. Retired1 has these heads Enthusify Marketplace[mshow]=listing&p[id]=whelen-red-tir6s-set-of-4-6186 I was wondering if they would work? Thanks Randy

far as i kno brother it has to be from the slimlight module head 8 had a buddy who was doing a custom on a slimligjter ill contact him and get some intell for you:thumbsup:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Randy, I personally have never seen a successful swap of slimlighter colors using alternative lightheads...just not that much space to play with unless you have a single complete piece for the slimlighter guts (both sides). Honestly, I'd just try to sell your current one and try to get a new or used slimlighter in the color you want. Just too much hassle IMO.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Thanks for the input guy's. I searched the Whelen site with little success, looks to be a 500 series tir6 head. Got several that need changed over so just tryn to figure out the best route to go. Anyone out there that has Red and looking for Amber shoot me a PM. Thanks

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
The TIR6 heads in the SL and a standard TIR6 are NOT the same heads. This swap will not work. You'll have to find specific heads for the SL.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Switching LED boards between two MM-series (TIR6) Slimlighters is a cakewalk. You'll just need a screwdriver. You won't even need to cut any wires!

May 22, 2010
New York City
it can be done, but remember as others said, it does NOT use 500 series lights, so you need original slimlighter heads !

Last edited by a moderator:

flyinbrian1981

Aug 26, 2013
California
shues said:
Switching LED boards between two MM-series (TIR6) Slimlighters is a cakewalk. You'll just need a screwdriver. You won't even need to cut any wires!

I just did a swap on a couple of SL's. I ran into the worst case scenario which is you will have to do some cutting and splicing. Apparently Whelen changed up things with the Sl's as far as being able to do a simple board swap. There's the older model which the wires are are soldered to the module itself and the newer one which has pins on the back of the module which slides into a socket on a separate board and is fastened in by screws. In my case I had a one old model and a newer one, basically the same as having two old ones. I just had to cut 2 wires on each SL, swap modules and splice together and put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Now keep in mind that the flasher unit is located on one of module units in each SL so if you wanted to swap the modules in which they both have the flasher unit now it's going to get a bit difficult if you're doing and old/old or old/new swap which I could foresee some soldering. Best case scenario, you have a new/new swap and just as shues said, easy peasy cake walk. Just undo 4 screws, carefully slide out the module being sure not to bend/break the pins on the module, repeat on the other module and put them back together. I really should of took some pictures but it didn't cross my mind. Hope this helps. Oh btw I am no electrical engineer by any means and somebody with basic electrical knowledge (match the wire colors etc.) should be able to do this. I got it done in about an hour.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.