Swapping Whelen Vertex in Ford Utility tailights

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Im doing an install on a Ford Utility and it was shipped with white Vertexs in the tail lights-and of course I dont discover that until after I get the vehicle all put back together. Needless to say the customer isnt happy. Anyone know how difficult it would be to swap them out with red ones? I dont want to dive into it if its going to be complicated (I wouldnt think it would be) because I dont want to start tearing the back end apart again-since I already have the ProGard Pro Cell kit and rear cargo barrier installed.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Those are ford custom twist locks made by whelen. The regular whelen will fit but need to be held in with some material to hold them in. We used silicone but you may be able to use soem bytyl tape.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
In the tail lights? Hmmm, I'm not sure, the ones I installed did not have anything in them yet. I put 4 strobes (two tail lights, two above the reverse lights) in them. The taillights come off with 3 bolts, very easy. Take a look and see how they are held in. I dont see it being a big deal.

EDIT: Just saw this question is for the Utility. I did the sedans.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
theroofable said:
In the tail lights? Hmmm, I'm not sure, the ones I installed did not have anything in them yet. I put 4 strobes (two tail lights, two above the reverse lights) in them. The taillights come off with 3 bolts, very easy. Take a look and see how they are held in. I dont see it being a big deal.

EDIT: Just saw this question is for the Utility. I did the sedans.

The sedans come from the factory with red rears (if you order the "corner LED" option). For some reason they made the SUV's come with white to the rear.

The "proper" way to fix it would be to get the part # for the red Vertex (Ford version), go to your Ford dealer and order them, but you'll probably end up paying $200+/light (I'd be curious what Ford is charging for them). I suspect you could make regular Vertex's fit with a bit of work.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
leftcoastmark said:
The sedans come from the factory with red rears (if you order the "corner LED" option). For some reason they made the SUV's come with white to the rear.

The "proper" way to fix it would be to get the part # for the red Vertex (Ford version), go to your Ford dealer and order them, but you'll probably end up paying $200+/light (I'd be curious what Ford is charging for them). I suspect you could make regular Vertex's fit with a bit of work.

Well thats interesting to know that the white Vertex's are standard. I was thinking they were ordered that way or were put in in error. I would think red would be pretty much standard. Who thinks up this crap? Anyway, Im going to start working on a second one tomorrow so I will tear it apart and look at it.

As far as $200 a light, thats probably accurate. I notice on the window sticker the rear LED option is over $400.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
It looks like the Ford part for this is DG1Z-15A101-B . I would assume that's the white one, thought, because these are part #'s for the front lights. Sorry I don't have the parts listing for the rear lights.

Just for giggles, I called our local [Canadian] Ford dealer and they gave me a price of $387. Each. Cough, choke. Note that he said the part # is now -H, not -B.

Front Headlamp Prep Housing LH DG1Z-13008

Front Headlamp Prep Housing RH DG1Z-13008

Park/Turn/Wig-Wag Lamp - LH DG1Z-13410-D Lamp and driver for wig-wag function, LH

Park/Turn/Wig-Wag Lamp - RH DG1Z-13411-A Lamp and driver for wig-wag function, RH

Front High Intensity LED Corner Light - (2 req'd) DG1Z-15A101-B Order if LED corner light is required

Wig-Wag Module DG1Z-13C105-A Module controls light flash pattern

Wig-Wag Bracket DG1Z-13655-A Bracket for module

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.