Sync Question.

Gonzowerke

Sep 5, 2010
Don't hate the noob, I did a forum search and nothing came up on this for me.

My question is this;

Is the sync function standard across manufacturer's? Meaning, can I just hook up the sync wires on 2 whacker lights and 2 sound off lights and have them sync? Or is something else required? I have 2 whacker fury dash lights, and am thinking of adding 2 sound-off intersectors to my mirrors. my whackers are front and rear, so sync is not an issue, but the intersectors will be visible to front and rear, so I want to sync all 4 lights together.

Thanks for any help!

Gonzo out.

Radio Tech

May 27, 2010
Vermont
Short answer - no.

With a flasher and light heads set to steady burn, sure.

I'm working on circuit that will allow you to sync Fed Sig, Code 3, and Whelen without a flasher. This is somewhat limited to the way the patterns work, and it may never sync perfectly due to the differences in how the manufacturers designed their flash pattern.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I am in the process of syncing my various lights on my vehicle. I purchased two Whelen ULF44 flashers and setting all my LEDs to steady burn.

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
If I'm not mistaken, if you get the intersectors, you can pick up a sound-off flasher, too. Set the whacker lights to steady burn, and hook 'em up. Sound-off designs their lights to have their own flashers override the built-in ones...no setup required. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
AZEMT said:
If I'm not mistaken, if you get the intersectors, you can pick up a sound-off flasher, too. Set the whacker lights to steady burn, and hook 'em up. Sound-off designs their lights to have their own flashers override the built-in ones...no setup required. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can "over ride" any lighthead with a flasher...set the head to steady burn and hook it up through the flasher.

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Yes it is not really overriding the flasher when you set the internal one to steady burn. I had to do this with 4 single Whelen Talons when I discovered that there are two distinct versions, syncable and non. After a lot of foul language since I dropped almost $500 into my complete set (2 doubles and 4 singles), I decided to bit the bullet and buy two ULF44 flashers and set the lights to steady burn. It still bothers me to this day that I am not utilizing the internal flasher circuits in these wonderful lights.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
yes and no,,you can set the wacker lights to steady burn and i belive the sos intersectors also have the slave function and the internal flash can be bypassed then all 4 can be hooked up to a external flasher

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
sephora99 said:
Yes it is not really overriding the flasher when you set the internal one to steady burn. I had to do this with 4 single Whelen Talons when I discovered that there are two distinct versions, syncable and non. After a lot of foul language since I dropped almost $500 into my complete set (2 doubles and 4 singles), I decided to bit the bullet and buy two ULF44 flashers and set the lights to steady burn. It still bothers me to this day that I am not utilizing the internal flasher circuits in these wonderful lights.

Why? The ULF has all of the patterns a Talon has, and much much more. Not to mention much easier to control and wire. If you have that many lights the only way to go is an external flasher. If it bugs you the other flasher is still there pull it out, you never know what projects you can dream up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.