syncing 2 different whelen leds

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys, I have a question about syncing 2 different whelen leds together. On one of our engines the other day I noticed the strobes weren't working. There are 2 700 series strobes and 2 900 series strobes. They are layed out with a 900s on the cab and the 700s on the body. Same layout on each side. What I would like to see done is have them get replaced with whelen leds in the same series and layout. My question is can you sync the 900 series leds to the 700s? If I can talk our chief into it I want to make sure it looks good and they are able to sync together without the use of a external flasher. I did sime reading on them and the 700s have a grey sync wire and the 900s do not, so I am just curious.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I am not 100% sure, but I think the 900s behave like two 700s stacked on top of each other and the only way they can be synced is with an external flasher. If you don't want an external flasher, the M-series will sync with other lights.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Problem with using lights with a smaller foot print is the cab and body are cut out to allow for the strobes. I wonder if I did it and used the pattern like on rescue 1 fdny?

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Not sure about 900s syncing with 700s either. However if the truck has strobes, I would replace those heads with leds with an external flasher. Use the existing strobe cable to power and ground each lighthead to the external flasher to ease installation. Its just a thought but would work.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
car54 said:
Not sure about 900s syncing with 700s either. However if the truck has strobes, I would replace those heads with leds with an external flasher. Use the existing strobe cable to power and ground each lighthead to the external flasher to ease installation. Its just a thought but would work.

Planned on using the strobe cables for power and ground and syncing. So now because it would look best synced. What flasher would you guys recommend? Ulf22 or 44?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Planned on using the strobe cables for power and ground and syncing. So now because it would look best synced. What flasher would you guys recommend? Ulf22 or 44?

The ULF44 seems to be a very popular flasher. Although I have no personal experience with them, I've heard they're very user friendly and have good flash patterns.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:

Yes, you can definitely reuse the existing strobe cable. It's more than capable of handling the demands of the LED lightheads you're proposing. You will need one wire for ground, one wire for power, and since it's there, you can use the third wire for low power.

With 900-series, 700-series, and 600-series LEDs, you will need to use an external flasher to synchronize the LED lightheads. This is by no means a bad thing; quite the opposite in fact. The existing strobes operate from one or more centrally located strobe power supplies. The same will be true of your LED upgrade.

All of the strobe cables already run to one central location. Your work is cut out for you. Just set LED lightheads to steady burn, and let the LED flasher do the work, just as the strobe power supply does now.

The ULF44 is a superb flasher, and I would definitely recommend it for this application. Although it can handle more, I prefer to maintain a one ULF44 to four LED lighthead ratio. The increase in cost for an additional ULF44 or two is far overshadowed by the increase in configuration options afforded.

The ULF44 has two flash pattern memories: one main flash pattern and one override flash pattern. With this, for example, the LED lightheads in the intersection warning position could override to a rapid single flash during calling-for-the-right-of-way mode. Further, all of the LED lightheads could be made to revert to a slower flash pattern during blocking-the-right-of-way mode.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
IIRC, the 900s and 700s do NOT have sync, so you'd have to set them to steady and use an external flasher. However, this would be a simple swap as the strobe PS would just be replaced with the led flasher. You'd just have to use the strobe cable, already run, as pos & neg for the lightheads, set to steady, and you're set. Any 2 place led flasher would work, you wouldn't necessarily need the 4 place ulf44.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
I real easy solution would be to go with the M7 and M9 using the conversion flange so its a direct fit to the existing holes. Those lights offer sync and much better output.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.