Syncing Quad Surface Mounts

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
I can’t find the information for the life of me, feniex university brushes on it but doesn’t definitively say how you connect your quad surface mounts into the quad system so all products are synced. Any one know ? I see other upfitters are doing it some how.

Synapt

Mar 30, 2023
Pennsylvania, United States
Always remember when all else fails look at the instruction manual for your product :p

But to answer, the blue wire is the sync wire, you wire all the quad products together with the blue wire (it does not need an originating positive/ground connection) and you'll end up with a fantastic synchronization.

Just take note the blue wire is sort of a multi-purpose wire, it's also how you change the follower/leader mode of the light as well as the flash pattern, so it's usually easier to pre-configure all the lights before installation at least as far as leader/follower goes.

Once the lights are in I'll tie them all together then do a 3 second 12v ground to 'reset' everything to the base flash pattern (the 3 second ground is how you change follower/leader but it also defaults to the 1st flash pattern while preserving the color set via the green wire, so all you end up doing is reversing the leader/follower settings of all the lights) and then ground-tap to set the pattern on everything collectively.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Always remember when all else fails look at the instruction manual for your product :p

But to answer, the blue wire is the sync wire, you wire all the quad products together with the blue wire (it does not need an originating positive/ground connection) and you'll end up with a fantastic synchronization.

Just take note the blue wire is sort of a multi-purpose wire, it's also how you change the follower/leader mode of the light as well as the flash pattern, so it's usually easier to pre-configure all the lights before installation at least as far as leader/follower goes.

Once the lights are in I'll tie them all together then do a 3 second 12v ground to 'reset' everything to the base flash pattern (the 3 second ground is how you change follower/leader but it also defaults to the 1st flash pattern while preserving the color set via the green wire, so all you end up doing is reversing the leader/follower settings of all the lights) and then ground-tap to set the pattern on everything collectively.
Good explanation. The follower/leader concept is actually pretty nice, it just takes some getting used to when you are used to setting lights to "phases" of a pattern.

Synapt

Mar 30, 2023
Pennsylvania, United States
Good explanation. The follower/leader concept is actually pretty nice, it just takes some getting used to when you are used to setting lights to "phases" of a pattern.

Yeah, without the follower/leader separation all your lights would basically flash at the same time with the sync wire which would be a bit ugly lol. I just spent a bunch of hours last night having to re-do a few things due to a failed ground wire, but also cause I had one module that when I pre-configured them I set to the wrong pattern so it looked absolutely horribly out of place when it tried to flash in sync with the others.

Drove me bonkers lol.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.