Tahoe upper rear warning.. I need some input

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
So I'm getting a 2014 Tahoe in October for my K-9 vehicle. It will be a marked unit & slicktop. I mainly work traffic on a U.S. 4-lane highway however I sometimes still respond to serious domestic calls, K9 need calls and work some patrol (hence the reason you will see I want the glow / steady burn option).

what I want: I run all blue. I want something with a traffic director because I use it on every stop. Also I want Atleast two modules to do a "steady burn" glow option seperate from everything else.

Decisions: I'm thinking a Sound Off Nforce rear traffic bar in Blue/Amber duo color. My concerns is it won't throw enough light due to tint however it fits everything I want in a bar. It has steady burn option on a seperate switch, traffic director that will change to amber.

I really like the outter edge but is it overkill to have a outter edge and mount a Sound Off 8 head ultra-lite in Amber in the lower rear glass as I will have a pair of Nforce tag mount and HAWs in my reverse lights? Or use a outter edge and just use the traffic director function and have it TD in all blue (just don't see that being effective".

Also at lonestar PSE they have a outter edge type bar with M4's which I would guess to be VERY effective.

http://www.lonestarpse.com/razorbak-rear-led-lightbar-whelen-m4.html

Any thoughts to this??

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
Here's some links to threads with pics and videos of units with the RazorBak systems. One RazorBak system being sold even has dual color, and I am sure you could get a controller that does warning and/or TA, and can activate either color based on function/input.

Not familiar much with Tomar products, and I personally don't know of any/many lightheads out there that do the low-power "cruise light", but I am by no means an expert in all topics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
As ugly as it might be, mounting that Nforce or SOS bar on top of the "spoiler" would allow for that dual color TA/warning you want without the tint obstructing any. My :twocents:

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
As ugly as it might be, mounting that Nforce or SOS bar on top of the "spoiler" would allow for that dual color TA/warning you want without the tint obstructing any. My :twocents:
I thought about that HOFF but that ugly factor would sure play a roll there! Haha

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They are easy enough to fabricate your own. We have one with triple stacked Feniex T3's on our demo.  Debating doing two layers of red/blue and one layer of Amber now wired to the 4200 controller

Reactions: tsquale

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
They are easy enough to fabricate your own. We have one with triple stacked Feniex T3's on our demo.  Debating doing two layers of red/blue and one layer of Amber now wired to the 4200 controller
Pictures/video???

Does anyone have a video of the patterns on a Tomar Scorpion bar.?
I think you can do whatever you want as far as patterns, based off your controller. Set all patterns to steady-burn, and then use an external controller to make it TA or Warning.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I recommend one of the Razorbaks from lonestarpse. The M4 is my preference (although it doesn't have dual color) due to the large footprint. The dual color with Tomar modules is also great; in fact, I believe that Tomar's rear spyder is based off of John's (lonestarpse owner) Razorbak design and input. I would give lonestarpse a call and talk to John about options if you're still having trouble deciding on one of them, and you can probably hook up any of the systems to an external flasher (ie whelen dominator) by special request if you want certain patterns.

I'm not a fan of steadyburn to the rear and think that slow, solid flash patterns are the way to go for the rear

If you want a lightstick mounted interior headliner, look at the SNM E66 duo; it's one of the best bangs for your buck, and the TIR modules punch through tint no problem. The axixtech commander is another option built in a similar housing

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I recommend one of the Razorbaks from lonestarpse. The M4 is my preference (although it doesn't have dual color) due to the large footprint. The dual color with Tomar modules is also great; in fact, I believe that Tomar's rear spyder is based off of John's (lonestarpse owner) Razorbak design and input. I would give lonestarpse a call and talk to John about options if you're still having trouble deciding on one of them, and you can probably hook up any of the systems to an external flasher (ie whelen dominator) by special request if you want certain patterns.

I'm not a fan of steadyburn to the rear and think that slow, solid flash patterns are the way to go for the rear

If you want a lightstick mounted interior headliner, look at the SNM E66 duo; it's one of the best bangs for your buck, and the TIR modules punch through tint no problem. The axixtech commander is another option built in a similar housing
I called him yesterday.. He stated the only bar he had left for that model Tahoe was indeed for the M4's (which is the one I was interested in). From what I understood the M9 version doesn't have traffic director patterns and you use the built in flashers on the M4's and sync them and that's not really I had in mind of going through especially for that price. Leaning very heavy towards the Tomar Spider if it's like I have been told and being so user friendly. I'm going to call Tomar tomorrow and speak with them about it since I'm having troubles finding someone with a lot of knowledge about this bar.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
The Spider has an inline/internal flasher module. It has 11 different patterns that can be set to 4 different flash rates, ie. single flash, double flash, neobe flash, or scrolling thru all the flash rates. The flasher also has a 2 wire T/A function that flashes chaser or fill. The wiring harness has 2 wires that trigger the warning patterns giving this bar 3 levels of warning/intensity. Example, on a traffic stop the lowest level can be set at single alternating end module flashing, the next level can be double flash all modules on one side alternate with all modules on the other side, finally the top level or pursuit mode could be set at "seizure inducing hyperspace flash mode" where the flash patterns and rate is scolling constantly. So for level one, the x color wire is powered, for level 2, the y color wire is powered. for pursuit or level 3, both x and y wires are powered. The T/A function overrides all warning patterns though. This is for a full module bar, not the split color modules. I'm sure there may be a tiny difference in the wiring harness for the split color modules.

Reactions: Hoff and acala91

OVERKILL

Jan 27, 2012
hamilton ontario canada
If it were me I'd get the new whelen RTX rear inner edge. It's made with ions. Available in single,duo or trio. Also low current or wecan as well. The only thing I'm unsure of is if it will work with the 2014. It was designed for the 15

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I'll chime in.

The TA feature is just too overrated. People nowadays just don't know what the light is doing when it moves to one side (telling them to move the f*** over). Todays motoring public doesn't get what people did 20-30 years ago. There is only one exception to this, in my opinion, and that's when the light pattern "enters" the bar from one side, traverses the bar, and "exits" the bar on the other side, all quickly (which is a very rare pattern to find). This whole "slow flashing across the bar" doesn't work when you're approaching at 70+ and thinking a 48" linear space is enough to convey a message.

I'm a firm believer that LED lighting should be flashing chaotic during the day and slow flash patters at night.

Cruise light function is invaluable (also in my opinion).

Also, I'd put as many lights as possible outside the vehicle. .... Dogs have vision far superior to ours.... if flashback from interior lights bother us, think about that Dog.

Best of luck to you and stay safe Dog Man!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.