Takedown positioning?

Where do you like your takedowns?

• Total voters

cory y

May 21, 2010
Ive been seeing quite a few different takedown positioning and i was wondering what you prefer?

im going to use the Liberty/Freedom style of bar for sheer simplicity

Bar Legend (front only)

CORNER | POSITION 1 | POSITION 2 | POSITION 3 | POSITION 4 | POSITION 5 | POSITION 6 | CORNER

cory y

May 21, 2010
I dont like the Takedowns in positons 2 and 5 at all.

I really prefer takedowns in the TXDPS style in Positons 1, 3, 4, and 6

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
cory y said:
I dont like the Takedowns in positons 2 and 5 at all.

I really prefer takedowns in the TXDPS style in Positons 1, 3, 4, and 6

They are very effective that way.

I have seen some DPS cars outfitted with new Liberties now, instead of the Freedoms. I think the Libs only have 2 takedowns, but i am not sure yet, i havnt gotten a good look

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Dead middle. I want to avoid walking in front of one: the farther they are apart the more likely I am to be backlit. It's going to happen anyway, but takedowns aren't scene lights, and should be fairly narrowly focused so as to get the most light in the suspect vehicle's interior.

I'm sure that I'm not the only guy here who gets out, walks around behind the cruiser and approaches on the passenger side. Done well, the driver is looking in his side mirror and you scare the crap out of him knocking on the passenger window, or farther back if there are others in the car.

Given that TDs are generally fixed, I'd really rather have a roof mounted spotlight that I could aim exactly where I want it. As low as some LED bars are, eventually someone will think to mount a Unity or such behind the bar itself.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
On my 9622 edge, they used to be in the middle... But I didn't really like them there...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_100_1463.jpg

So I split them up and I think it looks and works alot better...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_The_20Avalanche_85c713a9.jpg

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
I think anything but 3 and 4 looks terrible

Also if the tds are in 2 and 5 it blocks out the red and blue alot more. With 3 and 4 the corners usually still shine out pretty well.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
CenTexPSE said:
They are very effective that way.

I have seen some DPS cars outfitted with new Liberties now, instead of the Freedoms. I think the Libs only have 2 takedowns, but i am not sure yet, i havnt gotten a good look

They still have LED 4 take downs. They are using the 3 cluster takedowns in their Liberties.

cory y

May 21, 2010
actually somebody posted pictures on the old board i think of the new TXDPS liberties.. and there was 4 pairs of the 3diode LED TDs

edit found em

ai947.photobucket.com_albums_ad320_jlthomp1_TX_20DPS_202010_20CVPI_IMG_0856.jpg

ai947.photobucket.com_albums_ad320_jlthomp1_TX_20DPS_202010_20CVPI_IMG_0859.jpg

ai947.photobucket.com_albums_ad320_jlthomp1_TX_20DPS_202010_20CVPI_IMG_0858.jpg

ai947.photobucket.com_albums_ad320_jlthomp1_TX_20DPS_202010_20CVPI_IMG_0857.jpg

ai947.photobucket.com_albums_ad320_jlthomp1_TX_20DPS_202010_20CVPI_IMG_0855.jpg

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
a little off topic but the other day i was at work at the pd and i was patrolling and saw a trooper on a traffic stop so i decided to do a roll by and make sure everything is ok. well when i get closer i see him pulling out everyone from the vehicle and i decide to stop and assist. as i was walking up i see another trooper pulling up behind my patrol unit and i notice it doesnt have the freedom lightbar on the unit. well we get done with the search of the vehicle and i take a closer look at the second troopers unit and i notice it has a legend on it and a viper s2 above the third brake light. i found it more effective than the freedom so did both troopers. he said that there is several units that are being outfitted with the legends.

joe

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Another reason to not have takedowns in 1 and 6 is because if you make a traffic stop and you park farther out than the vehicle your stopping on takedown will probably be useless, since its basically where the b pillar is on their vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.