Taser question for LEOs and EMTs

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Just a quick question for LEOs and EMTs out there. I live in NJ so police do not carry tasers, but in my town we have the Edison Historic Site which is run by the National Park Service. It is federal land patroled by NPS park rangers so they can carry tasers. Now here is the question. If they were to taser someone and the prongs of the taser were still in the person can I as an EMT remove them or do they have to go to the hospital to be removed? Also do all people that have been tased go to the hospital for an eval? My squad is trying to come up with protocols for this, it has not happened yet but we want to be prepared.

fireman5199

Mar 14, 2012
Virginia
Taser teaches officers in their class how to remove the probes and about medical problems/excited delerium. But they leave it up the agencies to make the protocols. As far as a going to the hospital just for eval if they are not showing unusual behavior or having medical complaints then we just have EMS check them in the field. The probes are fairly simple to remove unless they are in a sensistive area i.e. head, breast or groin. Get training through Taser (I'm sure the NPS has some instructors) and I know Virginia Office of EMS also produced a training video on Taser and other L.E. Less Lethal. Hope this helps.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
NJEMT said:
Just a quick question for LEOs and EMTs out there. I live in NJ so police do not carry tasers, but in my town we have the Edison Historic Site which is run by the National Park Service. It is federal land patroled by NPS park rangers so they can carry tasers. Now here is the question. If they were to taser someone and the prongs of the taser were still in the person can I as an EMT remove them or do they have to go to the hospital to be removed? Also do all people that have been tased go to the hospital for an eval? My squad is trying to come up with protocols for this, it has not happened yet but we want to be prepared.

I am a Paramedic, and a (taser certified) Police officer... So I think I'm in a good position to answer your question.

But of course my experience is only with my state's protocols.

From the police side:

In training we all get tased, and we just remove the barbs outselves and laugh it off. The closest we come to a medical eval is the trip to the bar after certification.

That said, many pd's in an effort to reduce liability, have written into their policies that any tased suspect will be evaluated by EMS either emmediately or back at the station. They figure they will just pass the responsibility off to the ambulance crew to make sure the person won't die in custody.

Of course the buck-passing doesn't stop there. Because our State Office of EMS wants services to pass the liability off to a physician, our protocols state that taser barbs are "impaled objects" and therefore can not be removed by EMS in the field, and therefore the individual must be transported to an ED.

This produces a lot of consternation for the poor officer who learns he will be babysitting his prisoner at the hospital for the rest of the night.

(not to mention the state feels the tasering is essentially an "electrocution" emergency, and thus the pt should be placed on a cardiac monitor)

Basically, my advice for you is this:

First and foremost, find out what your state/protocols say. It may be that your trouble ends there.

If there is no specific information regarding it, get your information and data ready and make a visit to whomever your medical director is and ask him/her how they would like you to handle the situation.

If you don't have a medical director, research what the specific company of taser (probably Taser International) says about post-taser usage and monitoring.

Take all the above information, and formulate a policy for your department with your service's chief / admin / supervisors.

Then talk to the NPS rangers about what you have drafted (or required to do). Make sure you and them are both clear on your expectations and requirements. And you both understand where each one stands.

In the end it may come down to a scenario like this:

Cops taser bad guy. If barbs happen to "fall out" during the arrest, (or are removed by PD), and the suspect is not complaining of anything, and the officer doesn't observe anything weird (as they were taught during certification) than EMS is not called and booking continues as normal.

If barbs remain in the suspect, and therefore EMS is called, the pt will be transported to the hospital, since EMS is not allowed to remove them.

::Or::

You are allowed as an EMS agency to remove the barbs, which you would do.

If the barbs are removed, all normal eval/transport/refusal rules stand (for a person in PD custody) for EMS on scene.

In the very least, figure out what your rules/regulations are, and then set up a meeting with the NPS guys and discuss it with them (and find out what their rules are). You may very well find out that they will just remove barbs themselves and only call you if there are "real" symptoms.

This has been my experience. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Depends on the SOP. We can remove them ourselves unless they are in a sensitive area. Then, either EMS or transport to the ER would be appropriate.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
rwo978 said:
Depends on the SOP. We can remove them ourselves unless they are in a sensitive area. Then, either EMS or transport to the ER would be appropriate.

I believe in NY they would not be able to be removed by EMS. Our responsibility would be to "stabilize" the impalement and transport to the closest appropriate facility (unless the officer wants to MHA the pt. in which case we would have to transport to the specific local facility that deals with MHAs).

If the pt. doesn't want to go to the hospital, and wants to refuse treatment/transport, I believe we'd have to let them do that (assuming CAOx3, vitals stable and within acceptable parameters, etc) unless, again, the MHA option.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Yes, the location would matter as well. Meaning, state, county, city.... Here, it doesn't matter.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
It all depends on your Agency policy and what, if anything, your state requires. My full time job says pull 'em out unless they're someplace "special". My part time job says call the medics, let them remove the barbs, and evaluate the guy.

Personally, if I used a Taser on someone I thought was on PCP or something similar, I'd err on the side of caution & have the person checked by a squad. If it was a routine drunk or belligerent domestic, straight to the hoosegow!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
PJD642 said:
Personally, if I used a Taser on someone I thought was on PCP or something similar, I'd err on the side of caution & have the person checked by a squad.

True... always gotta worry about E.D.

And, I don't mean this E.D.

TVad-Enzyte-SmilingBob.jpg

I mean Excited Delerium!!!

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
We have to take prisoner to hospital to remove. Chief was non-committal when asked if medics could remove. So hospital it is.

But that's just our policy.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
Unless they get hit in the eye, groin, breast, than NPS policy is for the LE Rangers to remove them. Besides there is a decent chance that some of those rangers are EMTs also.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As stated, it's all up to local protocol. If you don't have a specific protocol and training, leave them alone.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
bwoodruff said:
I believe in NY they would not be able to be removed by EMS. Our responsibility would be to "stabilize" the impalement and transport to the closest appropriate facility (unless the officer wants to MHA the pt. in which case we would have to transport to the specific local facility that deals with MHAs).

If the pt. doesn't want to go to the hospital, and wants to refuse treatment/transport, I believe we'd have to let them do that (assuming CAOx3, vitals stable and within acceptable parameters, etc) unless, again, the MHA option.

By all letters of the NYS DoH Protocols, Taser Prongs are penetrating objects, and as an EMT-B, we are not allowed to remove penetrating objects unless it is compromising the airway.

I do not know about NJ Protocols.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Zapp Brannigan said:
By all letters of the NYS DoH Protocols, Taser Prongs are penetrating objects, and as an EMT-B, we are not allowed to remove penetrating objects unless it is compromising the airway.

I do not know about NJ Protocols.

Points of protocol and scope of practice in some case are disclaimed by "unless directed otherwise by med-control physician"...... so a standing protocol for taser probe removal can be made and signed off on in some cases. This will vary state by state as well as specific location by location.

The bottom line is as an EMT of any level you can only do what your medical director says you can. Unless you have been in-serviced by your department and have read and understood your local protocol for this... don't do it.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
We are going to go and talk with the Park Rangers and make a protocol. NJ DoH does not have anything on tazers because NJ cops cannot carry them.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
NJEMT said:
We are going to go and talk with the Park Rangers and make a protocol. NJ DoH does not have anything on tazers because NJ cops cannot carry them.

Lame BS. TASERs are a useful tool. The AG dictates to all LEA's what they can and can't carry?

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
11b101abn said:
Lame BS. TASERs are a useful tool. The AG dictates to all LEA's what they can and can't carry?
What he is saying is that because they cannot carry tasers, the DoH does not have policies for ambulance services to follow. He is not saying the DoH says they cannot carrry tasers. Also, rangers are federal law enforcement officers on federral property, which supercedes NJs tasers laws.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Doug said:
Why aren't NJ POs allowed to carry this, a less-lethal device? Just wondering.

Because NJ is so far behind in everything it does.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
NJEMT said:
Because NJ is so far behind in everything it does.

Actually LE in NJ can as of recently. Some Troopers, and some PD/Sherrif Depts. have been carrying them on a a trial basis for a while. They have now been officially approved, but the use of force policy for them is ridiculous (basically its defined the same as lethal force). Also there is a % of the Dept only allowed to carry them and all of them have to have cameras on them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.