Temporary mount 48" bar??

Sailor

May 25, 2010
Canada
Howdy,

I currently have a mini bar on my truck which is only used as a response vehicle a few time per year. It was fine on my SUV but too small on the F150, so I need to move to something fullsize. Is it possible to find a 48" bar which can be "temporary" mounted where no holes need to be drilled for straps, etc? Kind of curious what options can be found. Have to spend less than $500 for sure...

Sailor said:
Howdy,

I currently have a mini bar on my truck which is only used as a response vehicle a few time per year. It was fine on my SUV but too small on the F150, so I need to move to something fullsize. Is it possible to find a 48" bar which can be "temporary" mounted where no holes need to be drilled for straps, etc? Kind of curious what options can be found. Have to spend less than $500 for sure...

i personally would not mount any full-size lightbar in a temporary manner. the closest thing to "temporary" w/o drilling on ur vehicle itself (for $500) would be considering a halogen bar (i.e. mx7000) mounted onto a backrack, and when u don't want to have it on, the only thing u'll have are 2 or so holes on the backrack (which won't be easily visible IMO). i have heard of ppl considering mounting full-size bars on magnets, but i think that's a recipe for disaster

I have a guy on our department with a lp6000 with 4 #200 magnets holding it on. Just because it wouldn't fit in his garage with normal mounting feet. been that way for 2 years...

I mag mounted a 52inch edge on the top of my old sierra... it never moved up to 98mph. HOWEVER it did slide off the roof one day after i waxed the roof... but it fell into the bed onto some bags so no harm/no foul.

could you not use a 48 in. bar with a kit for a gutter mount or a kit for gutterless application ? Years ago My Twinsonic was mounted with two J hooks with adjusting bolts and could be removed in about 5 mins.

cory y said:
I mag mounted a 52inch edge on the top of my old sierra... it never moved up to 98mph. HOWEVER it did slide off the roof one day after i waxed the roof... but it fell into the bed onto some bags so no harm/no foul.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Scary! I've had magnet mount antennas blow off my roof (Granted, it was an RS mag mount)...I shudder to think about a windcatcher like a fullsize bar coming off the top!

rick h. said:
could you not use a 48 in. bar with a kit for a gutter mount or a kit for gutterless application ? Years ago My Twinsonic was mounted with two J hooks with adjusting bolts and could be removed in about 5 mins.

I suppose that's a possibility, though I don't know what bars will allow this option. I'm looking for suggestions of something that will do the trick. It also will have to work with just a switch box, no proprietary controller.

what type of lightbar would you perfer ? halogen ,stobe, or a led ? you can get a Whelen Edge with straps for around 120-150.00.Put a quick disconnect on your wiring and should take no more than 5 mins. to remove

I temp mount a 46" SWS Interceptor, I got 2 hooks in the feet and ratchet strap it down through the doors. ratchet straps arent visible until you look inside. Cord has a quick connect 1 foot from the bar for the 4 wire cable, goes to a radio shack project box enclosure with 3 HD switches, rotators, takedowns and work lights. then they have large welding ground clamps ( with copper braded straps in the clamp portion) to the battery. all instals in 5 minutes and no overheating problems. Also have a 2 rotator 47"turbo beam on a lighter plug

i'd love to see that turbobeam - with 2 rotators it's actually legal for a POV in virginia. (if it's red or red/white, but new domes are no problem)

What year F150?

I had a Vector with 4 straps (ratchet type) temp mounted to the roof of an f250.

I can look for picks if you want.

I hooked one side to the gutter and took the open ended strap and put it between the base plate and the bar then tightened down.

I think I still have the 4 straps and clamps I used if you are looking for some.

The end of the strap looks like this...

http://www.shipperssupplies.com/assets/items/2RSFH.jpg

Yeah I like the idea of the gutter mount and rod. Not sure if the 2010 F150 has that same kind of gutter though...never really paid any attention (I would think not). I'm not fussy on the straps though as the door rubbers tend to get screwed and it's a brand new truck. Not to mention I'll need people in the back seat so I don't want to have the strap in the way.

Guess it doesn't leave much options. I just know the mini bar really isn't going to cut it.

Thanks for the photos. Very helpful.

I use a thin plastic to put between the rubbers and strap to prevent damage, and still keeps the seal. I got a 36" mx7000 On LARGE magnets (not too high pull strength, large diameter) and it never went anywhere, but I didnt like the look of a 36" bar on a truck roof, went 47" I was going to experiment with magnets on that also, but magnets that have a bit of play to comform to roof, like suction.

When our truck is down I have had to use one of our transportation vans(for Utica School Security). And I had a 47 inch LP6000 with 4 200# pull magnets on it, and have had to drive up M-53 freeway at 70 MPH and it never moved.

Of course the LP is not as heavy as a Vista. I wouldn't try magnets on a Vista, Vector, ect

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381