Texas DPS Freedom Lightbar question?

SFD516

May 27, 2010
Scott, Louisiana
keep seeing theses popping up everywhere, I see HPD4 has quite a few. What are the details and specifications on the Texas DPS freedoms. I know they have 4 take downs are all 4 wired at once or are there two separate controls. I’ve been told it has limited flash patterns. and does the it have the regular options of the freedoms , cruise lights etc. just curious. just looking for a list of the what the bar have. Thanks

I tried a Elightbars search nothing popped up.

cory y

May 21, 2010
SFD516 said:
keep seeing theses popping up everywhere, I see HPD4 has quite a few. What are the details and specifications on the Texas DPS freedoms. I know they have 4 take downs are all 4 wired at once or are there two separate controls. I’ve been told it has limited flash patterns. and does the it have the regular options of the freedoms , cruise lights etc. just curious. just looking for a list of the what the bar have. Thanks

I tried a Elightbars search nothing popped up.

Its not a low current control bar like the majority of whelen light bars..

The inboard have one flash pattern. That's it

The corners have a couple of patterns but nothing really funky.. all the patterns available are geared toward being seen and no to looking neato

The take downs are controlled by 2 wires one outboard one center... the outboard tds are on the cruise/aux wire so there are no cruise lights

The center takedowns flash.

The arrow on the lower level of the back are super depopulated with only 3 diodes per section.

The new bars have 3 red and 3 blue inboard heads on the upper level. Older ones only had 2 od each with 2 blank sections

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Texas DPS retired a large fleet of CVPI units with the Whelen Freedom FX DPS spec bars and sold the lightbars to agencies and emergency equipment dealers. They are I think going to the Liberty and did not recycle the lightbars and this is why there are so many of them here and eBay. I had one and just sold it, very basic and good for a city vehicle. If you have use for one, they are a good deal for a basic Whelen.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
lots of citys are buying up the old TX DPS freedoms since they are plentiful down here and TX DPS is going with the libertys with 8 LED takedowns yes thats alot.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I love mine. HC kinda sucks as you need a HC switch box but it has plenty of patterns for me as I am a fan of the comet.....there is a spare outlet on the HC board for a rear flasher but in reality you can put the flasher in and put the lights where you want i:e the front, removing the set of steady burn halogens. So, in theory, you can get a fully loaded Freedom bar with all the controls for about 800 bucks as long as you go all blue.....the heads are 2 for 110 everywhere, a 9M flasher works well and I've seen the tac controller for the arrow for 30 or 40 bucks. $140 for a lense kit and a TM4 here on the board and you will have one bad ass bar.....Mine is almost done.....

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Ok here is the exact rundown and my findings on this particular lightbar. The corners have approx. 20 Flash Patterns,Including Cruise Light/Steady Burn Option.There is room for 1 more 4 Outlet Flasher board,so you can add 4 more heads if you add another flasher. The inboards are on a 1 Flasher board that has the "scan lock" or "flash" welded on the circuit board and can be changed with modification,but set to a Wig Wag/Comet Pattern. The Takedowns and Alleys run on HC "High Current". Overall it's does not have all the standard options but for the money it's a whole lot of lightbar!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
HPD84 said:
The inboards are on a 1 Flasher board that has the "scan lock" or "flash" welded on the circuit board and can be changed with modification,but set to a Wig Wag/Comet Pattern.

How? Pics and part nuber for the board?

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Not to Hijack the thread, but just curious as to where everyone is getting them? I have seen a few on eBay.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Also see refer to this listing by emtanderson51 on patterns for the Texas DPS Freedoms...

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f13/my-texas-dps-freedom-bar-video-course-18149/

Line #8 "Pattern on the front inner led heads cannot be changed....the rear inner/upper heads can be changed.....open up the bar and remove the front light heads from passenger side to center. the flasher board has the td and rear led heads on it. there are 2 4 connector plugs on top. left is td and r is led. apply 12v to lights you want to change. then with a separate wire apply 12v to the lowest pin on the lower left hand 4 pin plug. there are 3 wires going into the plug and a blank. apply 12v to the blank. then run the lighthead for 5 min to hold the pattern. how did you like figuring out the 5 ground wires lol? ''

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
HPD84 said:
Also see refer to this listing by emtanderson51 on patterns for the Texas DPS Freedoms...

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f13/my-texas-dps-freedom-bar-video-course-18149/

Line #8 "Pattern on the front inner led heads cannot be changed....the rear inner/upper heads can be changed.....open up the bar and remove the front light heads from passenger side to center. the flasher board has the td and rear led heads on it. there are 2 4 connector plugs on top. left is td and r is led. apply 12v to lights you want to change. then with a separate wire apply 12v to the lowest pin on the lower left hand 4 pin plug. there are 3 wires going into the plug and a blank. apply 12v to the blank. then run the lighthead for 5 min to hold the pattern. how did you like figuring out the 5 ground wires lol? ''
Haha, actually I believe you helped me out with that one. I either asked you or Kieth K (who sent me the bar) and went from there. I wasn't going to chance a blow out with one of my most prized possessions! The bar is awesome. I still want a LC model but this bar rocks.....

May 27, 2010
Beeville, TX
Sorry for the hi-jack here, but does anybody have a wiring diagram for these DPS bars? We have a couple of them we're putting on our trucks but I need to know what wire does what first before I pull the 9M's down and install these.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
wht/yel = flashing TD

red = rear corner LEDs

grey = front corner LEDs (must have red active)

wht/blu = corner pattern

purp = hi/lo, corner

wht/blk = TD #1

wht = alley, driver

yel = alley, pass

wht/brn = \

wht/red = > can't remember which does what, I don't have it in my notes, but there's front leds, rear leds, and TD #2 (which I'm fairly sure is wht/org).

wht/org = /

wht/purp = none

wht/grn = none

As to the whole 'changing patterns' thing stated above, I removed the wht/purp from the harness plug and inserted it into the open slot on the 4 pin connector on one DPS Freedom I worked on. It eliminated having to trace wires on the power board to jumper it to the flasher module.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
rwo978 said:
wht/yel = flashing TD
red = rear corner LEDs

grey = front corner LEDs (must have red active)

wht/blu = corner pattern

purp = hi/lo, corner

wht/blk = TD #1

wht = alley, driver

yel = alley, pass

wht/brn = \

wht/red = > can't remember which does what, I don't have it in my notes, but there's front leds, rear leds, and TD #2 (which I'm fairly sure is wht/org).

wht/org = /

wht/purp = none

wht/grn = none

As to the whole 'changing patterns' thing stated above, I removed the wht/purp from the harness plug and inserted it into the open slot on the 4 pin connector on one DPS Freedom I worked on. It eliminated having to trace wires on the power board to jumper it to the flasher module.

wht/brn= rear inner LED

wht/red= front inner LED

wht/org= TD2

wht/grn= #2 flasher labeled rear flasher on the board

wht/prpl= IDFKY (but when I figure that out I will post it here ;)

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
First Post here :)

We just picked up three of these, 2 are 2007, 1 is a 2008, same model number though.

what are the three mostly black striped wires for?

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
SEAFIRE said:
First Post here :)

We just picked up three of these, 2 are 2007, 1 is a 2008, same model number though.

what are the three mostly black striped wires for?
there are 4 ground wires. All mostly black wires are grounds.....

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
Great bars, good prices can be had on ebay ($300-$350shipped) You just have to look for them. HPD always has them on this board if you can't wait or your bidding luck is not good enough for Vegas odds.

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
emtanderson51 said:
there are 4 ground wires. All mostly black wires are grounds.....

Thanks,

I had an email today from a Whelen engineer who helped us with a warranty issue in 2008, attached was a .pdf file with all the information, specs, instructions for these specific lightbars.

I wasn't expecting it. it will be a great help.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
SEAFIRE said:
Thanks,
I had an email today from a Whelen engineer who helped us with a warranty issue in 2008, attached was a .pdf file with all the information, specs, instructions for these specific lightbars.

PLease post the file! Thanks!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
SEAFIRE said:
Thanks,

I too, have a TX DPS Freedom bar and would like the info you received. Posting it, PMing it, or e-mailing it to me at chevy94wagon@hotmail.com will be greatly appreciated!

Terry

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
For you Texas Fire Departments, Police, Sheriff, etc, Texas State Surplus in Austin has 167 of these lightbars for $200 each, you have to get approved by the State Surplus Agency in Austin, we had to send our tax exempt number in along with a letter from our County Judge to get approved.

We got ours at the San Antonio Location, but the website is now showing only 2 left in San Antonio.

Great program, lots of other stuff available too.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
SEAFIRE said:
Retired1, sent the file via email.

I'm new here, how do I "post" a .pdf file?

The file covers the Texas DPS FX and FL freedom models

When you hit the "Reply to Thread" button and the reply screen comes up, click the little paper clip icon. This will bring up the "add atachments window. Then click the "Add Files" button and select the file from your computer.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
My TX DPS Freedom bar still has the entire cables and controller plugs intact. The large cable (main lights) has a round connector plug. The TA cable has a 12 pin rectangular plug.

My questions: what model(s) controller does the round plug fit and what model(s) controller does the 12 pin connect to?

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Retired1 said:
My TX DPS Freedom bar still has the entire cables and controller plugs intact. The large cable (main lights) has a round connector plug. The TA cable has a 12 pin rectangular plug.

My questions: what model(s) controller does the round plug fit and what model(s) controller does the 12 pin connect to?

The round plug is not for a controller, it connects into the MNSTAR wiring harness that goes to a set of relays controlled by their on custom toggle switches. You have to cut the plug and just wire it to what ever controller you want to use. The MNSTAR is one huge wiring harness that has everything on it for the lights, siren and radios so the install is quick and easy, basically just plug and play. It is very expensive and and one of the few items that they have always swapped between cars. The the MX7000, Freedom and Liberty are setup the same with the lighting so they can just swap the wire harness as they cost like $2000 new.

The square 12-PIN is just a Whelen LED arrow controller, the TLD1 you have will work fine.

MNSTAR Technologies

Picture of the switches in their console.

aimages114.fotki.com_v74_photos_9_14219_7700478_DPSSwitches_vi.jpg

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
the corners have signal alert comet single(slow) single(fast) double and a few steady patterns. The rear heads have comet single(slo) single(fast) double and signal alert.

SEAFIRE

Aug 3, 2011
Seadrift Texas
emtanderson51 said:
the corners have signal alert comet single(slow) single(fast) double and a few steady patterns. The rear heads have comet single(slo) single(fast) double and signal alert.

Can you change the pattern on the rear inboard LED heads?

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
SEAFIRE said:
Can you change the pattern on the rear inboard LED heads?

\The rear inboards you CAN change. Open up the bar from the passenger side and then remove the corner and first 3 lightheads in the front passenger side. You will see the main board followed by 2 smaller boards. The first board is for the 2 front led heads and the pattern cannot be changed without modifying the flasher. The next small board is the flasher board. On the top there are 2 4-wire plugs. These run to the lightheads. on the bottom left hand corner there is another 4-wire plug with 3 wires coming out. The 4th hole is empty. Apply +12v to this spot while the rear inboard lightheads are flashing and keep touching the port w/12v until you get to the desired pattern. Then allow the pattern to flash for a minute or 2 to lock it in and you should be all set. Steve

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.