Texas DPS Highway Patrol Motorcycles

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Look, he stopped a a Grand Marquis...must have had a BOLO. :rolleyes:

I think they should expand their motorcycle program. OSHP got their motorcycles back a few years ago and did it in a larger area then a few blocks.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
FireEMSPolice said:
Look, he stopped a a Grand Marquis...must have had a BOLO. :rolleyes:

I think they should expand their motorcycle program. OSHP got their motorcycles back a few years ago and did it in a larger area then a few blocks.

What's up with the Grand Marquis comment?? Bad sticker.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
VolEms said:
I think they need more lights. I would add the linz6 strip in the windshield.

Motorcycles tend to be easy to miss in traffic, I agree, more warning lights would increase the visibility. Confining their activities to city streets might also be out of concern for officer safety. Again, bikes are not all that visible, especially on highways with traffic moving at high speed.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
TritonBoulder47 said:
I have read through it, numerous times... And I've posted in it... Still, no need to bring that up in this thread...

That wasnt for you. That was for "LED" since he didnt get the joke. Hence why I quoted "LED"

Last edited by a moderator:

r1ms12

May 21, 2010
NCR
Motors are a great tool for LE. Especially for traffic enforcement and crowd control, they are second to none when it comes to cutting through heavy traffic. They are good community policing resources as well, because cops are more approachable than those in cruisers and tend to take in their surroundings better.

The drawbacks are that they require specialized training and are far more risky to operate. I also noticed that they will only be utilized in a small area of the city. Harleys are air cooled and tend to run hot, especially in city traffic environments. Plus, Harleys are maintenance intense and can be costly. Our fleet of 60+ relatively new motors is often bogged down with mechanical/electrical or engine issues.

They look and sound great, fulfill a specific purposes, but motors depending on the application will always have their fair share of issues.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I am partial to the BMW R1200 RT-P police motorcycles. OSHP uses the Harley's though, but I think nearby Dublin PD has the BMW's.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Thats pretty cool but i dont like the type of motorcycle they choose. Kinda slow looking and Loud.

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
The cops here in WA state all ride BMW's 1200 however have been starting to see more local police dept using ST 1300 Honda. I prefer the Honda

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.