Texas DPS love their takedowns

Nov 22, 2011
Delaware Valley
With all that grille space, it makes me wonder why they didn't go for the Alaska State Troopers "moose lights" setup instead. Leaves more room for colored lights and projects more light IMO.

3296.jpg

bcr3106

May 2, 2012
Texas
zombieresponseteam said:
With all that grille space, it makes me wonder why they didn't go for the Alaska State Troopers "moose lights" setup instead. Leaves more room for colored lights and projects more light IMO.

Because DPS doesnt use push bumpers!

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
zombieresponseteam said:
View attachment 51295

Shining at the rear bumper during a traffic stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Don't mess with Texas.

We love ours as well, the Valor flood light feature at night plus spotlight, its like a second sun at o'dark thirty.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
It makes no sense to go with eight LR-11s when two SXTDLED modules would accomplish the same thing and free up two more modules for warning and it would be cheaper.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
arsenal10 said:
Shining at the rear bumper during a traffic stop.

They work better than you'd expect. with my KC "Moose" lights, high beams, Whelen spot, and LED takedowns, you can't see a thing when you look back. The KC's do a great job of lighting up the rural areas as well as neighborhoods.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
The reason for them having all those takedowns is simple, they refer to it as "the wall of light" and state doesn't pay retail for the bars.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
The extra with DPS is that they work in very dark rural areas of Texas so they need more take downs. Front warning is not a major concern as they need more flood lighting over front warning. Some but few DPS cars will have a push bar, but I would not bet they would go to a system like Alaska. They should, maybe add some Rigid LED lights, but I think the lightbars are sufficient in their minds.

Side note: Texas DPS has only recently started using pillar mounted spotlights again after they stopped using them in the mid to early 90s. I do not know if they got rid of the spotlights for more take downs in the MX7000s, or they thought the cars would be more aerodynamic. Either way as long as I have been in Texas and going to the DPS auctions since 1999, only mid-early 90s cars had the spots that I saw being auctioned off. Strange now seeing DPS cars with spots, especially the Tahoe and Charger vehicles. I would hope they are the LED and not a halogen bulb and if LED it should be a 2 degree spot as the wall of light will do fine over a 8 degree spot.

Oh and DPS I have noticed has also gone to only a white hood on the Tahoe over the hood and roof being white. I see that the Ford SUV has the classic white hood & roof, so I wounder why the Tahoe just has the hood white.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
acala91 said:
It makes no sense to go with eight LR-11s when two SXTDLED modules would accomplish the same thing and free up two more modules for warning and it would be cheaper.

Yea. I'm a fan of how CHP is doing their take down set ups now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367973143.270994.jpg

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
K9Vic said:
Side note: Texas DPS has only recently started using pillar mounted spotlights again after they stopped using them in the mid to early 90s. I do not know if they got rid of the spotlights for more take downs in the MX7000s, or they thought the cars would be more aerodynamic. Either way as long as I have been in Texas and going to the DPS auctions since 1999, only mid-early 90s cars had the spots that I saw being auctioned off. Strange now seeing DPS cars with spots, especially the Tahoe and Charger vehicles. I would hope they are the LED and not a halogen bulb and if LED it should be a 2 degree spot as the wall of light will do fine over a 8 degree spot.

There was an issue here in Texas brought up at about that time that some legal eagle somewhere felt that drilling holes in the A post for a spotlight degraded the structural integrity of the vehicle thus affecting the warranty and possibly creating a liability issue specifically in the event of a rollover. I don't think that "non-issue" ever amounted to much and may only serve to be one possible explanation. Don't bash me...I didn't say I agreed with it. I'm only relaying what my memory serves to remind me of.

Interestingly enough; Texas DPS cars' only warning light used to be a red spotlight mounted to the driver's side A post. Of course that was back in the 60's and early 70's.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
acala91 said:

I was thinking the same thing... lol

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
pop2one said:
There was an issue here in Texas brought up at about that time that some legal eagle somewhere felt that drilling holes in the A post for a spotlight degraded the structural integrity of the vehicle thus affecting the warranty and possibly creating a liability issue specifically in the event of a rollover. I don't think that "non-issue" ever amounted to much and may only serve to be one possible explanation. Don't bash me...I didn't say I agreed with it. I'm only relaying what my memory serves to remind me of.

That makes no sense if that is true when FORD installed the spotlights from the factory on the 92+ Crown Victoria, so there would not have been an issue with voiding of the warranty. Unless DPS wanted to install them to save a buck, but that would be stupid when it is done correctly at the factory, or by an approved factory up fitter such as Kerr Industries for the Chevy vehicles. I do not know if Ford at the factory did the spotlights, but the Tahoe is done by Kerr that is a tier 1 supplier about 1 mile from the factory in Arlington, TX and the Impala is in Oshawa, Ontario.

The caprice may have been an after factory add-on until it was dropped in 1996 (HILO should know that answer). That was the only other cop car that I ever saw DPS using in the late 90s other than the CVPI that was a factory option. So seems odd that is the reason why when it was mostly Fords CVPI for so long.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Don't forget, clear/white light is an emergency vehicle color, like red and blue, in the Texas transportation code. So in theory, any flashing TD's are indeed warning lights that when displayed, give ROW. Clear/white flashing lights are a prohibited color just like red and blue in Texas, though clear and blue are not enforced very much.

Texas.

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
K9Vic said:
That makes no sense if that is true when FORD installed the spotlights from the factory on the 92+ Crown Victoria, so there would not have been an issue with voiding of the warranty. Unless DPS wanted to install them to save a buck, but that would be stupid when it is done correctly at the factory, or by an approved factory up fitter such as Kerr Industries for the Chevy vehicles. I do not know if Ford at the factory did the spotlights, but the Tahoe is done by Kerr that is a tier 1 supplier about 1 mile from the factory in Arlington, TX and the Impala is in Oshawa, Ontario.

The caprice may have been an after factory add-on until it was dropped in 1996 (HILO should know that answer). That was the only other cop car that I ever saw DPS using in the late 90s other than the CVPI that was a factory option. So seems odd that is the reason why when it was mostly Fords CVPI for so long.

I agree with everything that you've said especially "That makes no sense if that is true". It didn't make any sense to me then and still doesn't. Keep in mind, that may all be a bunch of bull relayed to me a long time ago. I'm not an upfitter, car dealer or a lawyer...just an end user of the products out there.

Strobe Craft

Jul 23, 2011
IL
zombieresponseteam said:
View attachment 51295

I run lights simliar to those, and damn...Do I love them. Lights up anything and everything. :hail:

car push lights.jpg

car whole.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
A number of good theories postulated, however... the DPS puts all those takedowns up there so the trooper can make shadow puppets on the back window of the vehicle that he/she just stopped. It gives the whole incident a more festive atmosphere.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Definitely NOT enough clear or TD power up front...I'd say it needs another 4 TD's, clear ghosts on the hood in steady burn, and a few pioneers mounted on a pushbar.

One thing I can't understand is I haven't yet seen anybody come up with a bracket that allows grill lights to be forward-facing when mounted on the interceptor SUV...there are so many out there that were made for F-series fenders, international grills, etc. so i'm hoping someone will take care of that problem for the interceptor SUVs, because I hate how the grill lights can't be mounted higher up at this point

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
zombieresponseteam said:
View attachment 51295

I have those same lights on the front of my truck. They are a focus beam of light. They have other covers that are supposed to make the beam of light wider. Not sure how well it actually works?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
JazzDad said:
A number of good theories postulated, however... the DPS puts all those takedowns up there so the trooper can make shadow puppets on the back window of the vehicle that he/she just stopped. It gives the whole incident a more festive atmosphere.

Must... Resist... Trying... This...

SHOF

Mar 10, 2013
IN
They should just strike a deal with Whelen for the new Legacy bars. All the light you could ever want out of a lightbar.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
SHOF said:
They should just strike a deal with Whelen for the new Legacy bars. All the light you could ever want out of a lightbar.

They had the same option with the Liberty bars when they purchased these....If you look at the Freedom bars they like the 4 TD in front. I think it really is as simple as that...

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
One thing that bothers me and i have ASKED many times is "Why dont they have cages in the unit????? i asked several troopers during traffic stops in the past why they dont have them and they dont really know why they dont have them.... So im confused why not have them? I think its stupid to have a prisoner up front with you with a seatbelt on ESPECIALLY if DPS usually deals with DWIs and they usually are not happy they are getting a DWI. I would not want a drunk in the front seat of my unit while im driving to the jail.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
JazzDad said:

Make the bunny do the perp walk granpa, PPPBBBBbbbbbbbblleeeeeeease

LMAO (but it already had a crack in it)

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
K9Vic said:
The extra with DPS is that they work in very dark rural areas of Texas so they need more take downs. Front warning is not a major concern as they need more flood lighting over front warning. Some but few DPS cars will have a push bar, but I would not bet they would go to a system like Alaska. They should, maybe add some Rigid LED lights, but I think the lightbars are sufficient in their minds.

Oh and DPS I have noticed has also gone to only a white hood on the Tahoe over the hood and roof being white. I see that the Ford SUV has the classic white hood & roof, so I wounder why the Tahoe just has the hood white.

I like the direction that they are going. Now, just get some dang push bumpers and call it good.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Station 3 said:
One thing that bothers me and i have ASKED many times is "Why dont they have cages in the unit????? i asked several troopers during traffic stops in the past why they dont have them and they dont really know why they dont have them.... So im confused why not have them? I think its stupid to have a prisoner up front with you with a seatbelt on ESPECIALLY if DPS usually deals with DWIs and they usually are not happy they are getting a DWI. I would not want a drunk in the front seat of my unit while im driving to the jail.

Enough troopers have died that they should know by now that they are not bullet proof. I think it's just institutional stupidity. Lazy and or mediocre chain of command.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.