The Best Police Vehicles thread

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
CrownVic97 said:
"Today, we show you how to de-masculinize a police car and make it to not be taken seriously."

It takes a helluva cool dude to drive one of those cars and conduct traffic stops.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
There was a time when high performance cars were very very cheap in Russia, sports cars are so common there.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lafd55 said:
There was a time when high performance cars were very very cheap in Russia, sports cars are so common there.

More accurately, cars are so expensive in Russia (think about 2-3 times more expensive than here) that if someone can afford any car, they're gonna buy a lot of car. I don't know where the markup comes from, but cars are stupidly expensive. Something like the equivalent of $50,000 for a Ford Focus, I think.

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
lafd55 said:

Yeah, good ol 90's )))

nerdly_dood said:
More accurately, cars are so expensive in Russia (think about 2-3 times more expensive than here) that if someone can afford any car, they're gonna buy a lot of car. I don't know where the markup comes from, but cars are stupidly expensive. Something like the equivalent of $50,000 for a Ford Focus, I think.

Hm, that's partially true. We have plenty car plants of major car companies. So the mentioned Ford Focus (By the way - common police car), which manufactured on Ford plant in Vsevoljsk, is starting from around 12K in dollars. But premium imported cars price rised about 50%.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
GPC said:

No kidding! Honestly, I really like the Taurus Interceptor, but the Explorer is just ugly. Either way, I can not stand the flower petal wheels, even more so with wheel covers.

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
I hate to admit it, but I am not a huge fan of the Black & White paint scheme. When I heard one of the departments in my area was switching to a B&W scheme, I wasn't a fan. I liked their old design and didn't want to see them go to a generic B&W. When I saw it though, I changed my mind. I think they put a nice spin on the B&W design and feel they have one of the best looking squads in the area. This is one of the last Crown Victorias received by the Joliet, IL Police Department.

joliet145.jpg

joliet143.jpg

joliet142.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
mls60442 said:
I hate to admit it, but I am not a huge fan of the Black & White paint scheme. When I heard one of the departments in my area was switching to a B&W scheme, I wasn't a fan. I liked their old design and didn't want to see them go to a generic B&W. When I saw it though, I changed my mind. I think they put a nice spin on the B&W design and feel they have one of the best looking squads in the area. This is one of the last Crown Victorias received by the Joliet, IL Police Department.
Hi. My name is jph2 and I'm not a fan of black and whites, either. I agree with you 100% regarding the Joliet spin on it, though. I also think it looks way better than the previous graphic package, especially when you see them side by side:

54217d1371353986t-best-police-vehicles-thread-joliet142.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Never thought I'd see an Impala in this thread. :haha:

(I'm not a cop, I don't have an opinion on them myself, but I know a lot of cops hate them)

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Police Package Impala's are more popular then you may think. The 2012/2013 models got a very peppy 300HP 3.6L 6-Speed upgrade, they will keep up pretty nicely with many of the V-8s But with the 2014 remodel who knows what will happen, not sure if they are going to offer a police package.

They are popular in the cities and with undercover and investigations/admin use.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
RyanZ71 said:
Police Package Impala's are more popular then you may think. The 2012/2013 models got a very peppy 300HP 3.6L 6-Speed upgrade, they will keep up pretty nicely with many of the V-8s But with the 2014 remodel who knows what will happen, not sure if they are going to offer a police package.

They are popular in the cities and with undercover and investigations/admin use.

Our County Sheriff uses them for detectives only.

I heard the redesigned Impala ('14) will be offered for retail, but the current designed (or former body style, whatever you wanna call it) Impala ('06-'13) will be continue under that body style and rebadged as the Impala Limited and offered only to fleets. So, you get 2 Impalas, 2 different designs. The Impala Limited will continue until spring 2014. Then I believe that will be the end of the Impala 9C1 and 9C3 and everyone will have to buy the Caprice if they want a Chevrolet police sedan.

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
It's why the Caprice was designed, for a LE only vehicle, kinda like the Ford PI.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Correct, the Impala 9C1 will carry on until spring 2014, with no changes. As of now, Chevrolet has no plans to make a NBS 9C1 or 9C3 Impala. There is talk of a SSV Malibu for admin/detective use, nothing special or enhanced, just a few things deleted. The Caprice is getting a column shifter.

The Impala 9C1 has been a popular cop car, until the Taurus Interceptor and Caprice came on line, the Impala was the second fastest PPV, the HEMI Charger was fastest.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
JennyCop said:
If I had a choice, My patrol car would be a Dodge Challenger with a Mars Bar! yeah! Hey a girl can dream!

Funny you mention the use of a Mars bar on a BSO Challenger, Jenny. In the mid/late 70's, Broward Sheriff's Office used Chevrolet Nova's with Mars bars on them. One that I remember had the three-bulb option in both Skybolts and the flashing can lights, which was rare on the BSO units. Most only had to dual-light Skybolts with no flashing can lights on the bar.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
One of the nicest police vehicle graphics packages I ever saw was on the mid-80's Ft Lauderdale, FL police cars. They were gold with dark brown stripes along the bottom, gradiating to lighter shades of brown as they got higher. The words "ft lauderdale police" (all in lower case brown letters) were on the doors, above the brown stripes. If someone can find a picture of that car, it should be posted here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.