The Cost of Volunteering

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
The topic about how much people spend on lights got me thinking:  With a good chunk of us on the forum being volunteers, what does it cost to volunteer in your area/agency?  We're not just talking membership dues, but looking at the big picture...  Think about required equipment that's not provided.  Provided equipment that's not adequate.  Equipment that is provided but that it's prudent to use your own rather than company provided.  What do you have to shell out hard-earned money for to help serve your neighbors?

Here's my three personal examples from recent unnamed agencies that I've volunteered with.

Volunteer Search and Rescue Team - 

Paid $25 annual dues to support cost of insurance for the team and other administrative fees.  I was responsible for ALL personal gear (most of which is typical hiking/camping gear that the average outdoors person has, but some had to be specifically purchased.)  Purchased own uniform.  Local agencies and organizations often provided consumables (ie. food and batteries) during search incidents, but you still needed to have your own stock just in case.  The team owned most of what was needed for incident command and rescue.  Once you progressed past a training level, you were encouraged to have your own portable radio; the team was able to issue these out of the reserve stock, but it was encouraged to purchase your own if you were able.  Most training was provided in-house according to regional/state standards.  Partial reimbursement for seeking outside training.

Combination Paid/Volunteer Ambulance Service - 

I paid a $45 "application" fee out of pocket that covered background check and drug testing.  From there on out, everything, including duty uniforms was covered.  No membership dues.  Agency paid for new members to be trained to EMT-B if they weren't already, and would provide scholarships for students seeking EMT-P.

I was only a driver and only with them for about a year, so it's possible that I would have found things that I wanted/need to purchase out of pocket had I been there longer or gotten my EMT.

Volunteer Fire Department/Fire Police - 

$10 application/background check fee, $10 annual dues.  All essential personal equipment is provided for firefighters.  Fire police are a bit different, they're provided traffic cones, flares, flashlight, flag, hi-viz vest and jacket, badge, helmet, pager, and portable radio; they need to pay for their own vehicle lighting (which is essential for fire police duties) and it's helpful to have a mobile radio, which you would need to purchase out-of-pocket.  Most fire police also have some additional personal investment in other equipment to make their jobs of traffic and crowd control easier.  Cost of most any training is covered with approval of the officers, although there is a policy that requires you to reimburse the department at a pro-rated amount if you leave the department within 2-3 years of them paying for your training.

TL;DR:  I'm sure there's HUGE variation within different parts of the country and different sorts of agencies, but I'm interested to hear what your involvement is, and what you have to pay for to be able to do your "job" as a volunteer.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
At some point you may start to think, 'Gee, this is costing me a lot and is it worth it?'  Especially when you don't seem to be appreciated by your department/ agency/ county/ province/ whatever.  At that point you can throw yourself a pity party, or re-evaluate why you are volunteering. 

• How does your participation (at whatever level you are at) add value to the community?
  • Are you personally fulfilled by what you do?
  • Are you sacrificing your spirituality, family, or job due to the demands (perceived or real) of your service?
  • Could my time be better spent?

Rescue, you may have meant just the monetary costs, but there are other prices to pay.  The bottom line, in all aspects -- is it worth it to you?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
It does not cost any money to volunteer here in South Texas. "Well application wise and stuff" It does cost you money if you want to go the extra mile and get lights and sirens on your pov or stuff like that.

To tell you the truth the only reason I volunteer as a firefighter is because being a cop sucks and is boring and I need something fun to do when im off work. I have always told my boss here at work that I only do this for a paycheck and that my heart is in the fire service and he being my boss gets pretty upset ever time I tell him im only here so I can pay off my awesome 4x4 Fire POV truck payment. I don't do the Volly Firefighter thing so that I can one day be a fire chief or a Capt or LT I don't really do any of the politics of the department. I just wait at home for that radio to go off play with my blinkies and woo woos on the way to the station and put the wet stuff on the red stuff and love it. The only thing it costs me is gas money which for my situation is 18 mile response one way to the station and another 18 miles going back home. Our department is very rural mostly ranchland and highway. The department does pay you for gas money but I donate it back into the department for the retirement fund so I am truly a %100 volunteer I do not get any money for it I just do it for the love of it.  

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The whole paying to volunteer thing seems strange to me.  In Illinois (at least in my county) there are no application or yearly "fees" to get on/stay on any dept. to my knowledge.  Some depts. south of me even pay volunteers a stipend (like 5-10 bucks) for each call they run. 

My dept. requires us to take NIMS 100,200,700 and certify in CPR but those are free.  PPE wise we must buy our own extrication gloves and if we want to do any firefighting provide out own Nomex hood and turnout gloves.   

As for other training costs First Responder/EMT classes here can run from 400-1200 depending if its put on at a firehouse or college campus and most depts. don't reimburse.  Not sure what FFII runs these days.

Now I'm 37 (38 later this year)...and have been doing this one form or another since I was 16, 2 police aux's., 2 fd/ems/rescue-sar depts., and a paid full time dispatcher (although that doesn't count as vollie).  So to think of the actual money spent out of pocket over the years on training, gear, PPE, t shirts, K9 related items (oh god the K9 stuff), and vehicle stuff (or what my now ex-wife called "stupid stuff")  is staggering.  To break it down I'd average the last 21 years at about 1,000 a year.  Some years its more, some less, and its worth every penny......wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it.

But hey...like my brother always says...."spend the money, they'll make more"..... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
See now this is interesting..

I haven't been an "active" member in more then 8 years..    But I have never had to pay any dues or member fees at any of the departments I joined.

I did have to pay for classes and certifications when I first started out... and if I wanted to further my training some classes or seminars were free, while others paid out of my pocket..

Equipment on the other hand was either buy your own or handme down if anything was available.. some things you bought on your own...

In my case when I used a lightbar I was able to get a "loaner" from the station..     I have paid this forward even just recently helping some junior members out with Lighting for their vehicles..  

I do notice the trend where it has to be the latest and the greatest and LED.. lol  yea when you make the big $$ by all means..  but when your starting out @ 16  not happening!

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
When I lived in rural IL, I joined the local ambulance service, back when EMS was spelled with little letters in crayon. They paid for my EMT training and gave me green courtesy lights. If you wanted EMT jackets, etc., that was out of pocket, and so was the gas money, but the station was close to home.

During my volly FD days, the Department did FFI, FFII, and HazMat Ops in-house and paid for me to get Fire Officer I. They issued all turnout gear and gave you a roof light and siren once you had your FFI. If you wanted more, that was on you and most folks had their own lights on their POVs. It was totally unpaid, but the city gave the station x dollars per quarter and the members decided how to spend it, such as on snacks for the station, dinners, hockey games, etc. The Department also had  a retirement package of sorts, but I don't recall the details of that any more and was only there a few years due to it conflicting with employment.

In my current gig as auxiliary police officer, the city provides patches, badges, duty ammunition, and a few other items. The rest of the uniform, duty belt, firearm, and cost to attend the reserve academy was all out of pocket. On the other hand, no need for blinkies on the car as the city lets you use a fully equipped patrol car any time you want to come in and donate some time.

To JazzDad's point, there are other costs to volunteering beside the tangible ones. That's true in any job but may be more relevant in a volunteer setting. I'm fortunate that each of my activities and agencies fit my lifestyle and personality at the times I've participated. I've met a lot of good people at each.

Reactions: toolman247

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
My department doesn't require you to pay anything (well, we do have a fireman's lot at the lake - dues are $30/yr.) We get a $100/mo. stipend to cover fuel and clothes, if we make our run numbers. All of the basics are provided. If you want blinkies, woo-woos, nicer flashlights, better tools, better helmet, extrication gear, etc., that's all on you. We are all fortunate that the State of Texas makes a substantial amount of money available via the Texas Forestry Service and HB2604. Most any training that is even tangentially related to the fire service can be covered, so the only expense to the department is travel and expenses (hotel, food). We also have a retirement plan - it's not enough to live on, but if you hang around long enough to get your 20, it'll be a nice supplemental income.

From a cash perspective, I have many thousands invested in better radios, lighting, tools, etc. that I feel keep me safe and allow me to do a better job. I'm very fortunate to be in a financial situation where the money isn't a huge deal either way, and I have an employer that understands my volunteering (they basically treat it like military service... I can go on state deployments, etc., and they will protect my job AND continue paying my salary... they also work with me on training).

However, JazzDad is spot-on (wow, did I say that?). The cost of volunteering is measured far more in lost time, sleep, family events, etc. than it ever will be in cash. You have to decide if it's worth it.

At the end of the day, you have to make sure it's worth it to you.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Our department has a $15.00 yearly dues, that goes into the kitty for the annual Awards Dinner.  It is also a good management tool to get rid of those that join and never show up for training, meetings, etc.   Ignore the annual meeting, don't pay the dues and get dropped.  The if they want to come back, they go through the application again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.