The new and improved Rescue Squad 40

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
As many of you know I recently started working for Commercial Safety Services in Landover Md

Well for the last month we have been redoing my own squad from Brandywine. It all began with the replacement of the old and well worn Whelen edge and mini edges on the roof, they we're replaced with a NFPA freedom and 2 NFPA mini freedoms. You would thing well that's any easy job not so much the older edge bars had different mounting feet and the distance between mounting hole is far different than the freedoms. Lucky I was able to reuse the original mounting feet with some minor notching to fit the difference in length. When we finally got them on and wired up they were extremely dim and some of the lights would just flicker so we tested the voltage and found we were only getting 7.4 volts from the old wiring so the exploration began we removed all of the old cable and ran all new wire to them and wham problem solved. So the next thing replaces were the large 120v scene lights mounted into the side of the body those were replaced by 8 12v Whelen pioneers yes I said 8! 2 in each spot we wired them into the 900 series scene lights that run the length of the body using relays and cable from the battery. Finally we replaced the rear scene lights with 120v mini pioneers on the extend:a:lights easy fix if the driver side old light wouldn't have striped off inside the pole GRRRRR well some replacement parts from Akron Brass and were back in business. While we had the inside torn apart we replaces the old and falling apart headliner with all new diamond plate and replaced the old red halogen door open light with a red led marker light from maxima so here it is sorry not many wiring pictures I only snapped pics as we did things.

image-1607103969.jpg

image-763768542.jpg

image-1654316912.jpg

image-3768644629.jpg

image-1457265625.jpg

image-3421584501.jpg

image-4174493595.jpg

image-1824165192.jpg

image-710866962.jpg

image-2647566219.jpg

image-4251645060.jpg

image-4101549308.jpg

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Holy crap that's a lot of Pioneers! The Freedoms look good but they would look better with colored lenses :cool:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks great!

Now, all u gotta do is replace the halogen scene lights with another pair of red 900's (I think that 8 pioneers will be adequate / hold their own without the halogens lol) and some chevronssss!

I'm looking forward to more pics and VIDEOS from the shop!!!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Irsh42 said:
I feel like the rear of that squad is screaming for a couple more lights...

Def! It ain't a true PGFD unit if it doesn't have a Q, powercall, roto-ray, AND duo mars lights!!!

Btw, it's really hard to tell in the pic, but how are the lightheads mounted to the front bumper? Doesn't look like anything is back there except for L-brackets, but I'm sure there's something more sturdy holdin them up

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
TritonBoulder47 said:
Where would one acquire one (or a pair) of these mythical creatures...? lol
you're finally gonna add a pair to your hood? lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Storm4200 said:
you're finally gonna add a pair to your hood? lol

Shush your face!!! lol

If I get the Bull Bar I want, my 600s will be blocked so I'll need to re-mount them on the bull bar... lol

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
All of our rigs have them all red/red/clear we don't have Mars 888 lights it's never been our thing I personally love moving light. IF we ever buy I new rig it will have at least 2 Mars and plenty of powerarc lights(slowly becoming a PG standard) .

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
mdlighting said:
All of our rigs have them all red/red/clear we don't have Mars 888 lights it's never been our thing I personally love moving light. IF we ever buy I new rig it will have at least 2 Mars and plenty of powerarc lights(slowly becoming a PG standard) .

+1. Can u post some videos/pics of power arc that you come across in use in PG?

I definitely like the power arcs, but not as a standalone form of warning (I think they're a nice, economical alternative to rotorays or Mars as a centerpiece in the grill area, in conjunction with some solid LED grill lights and the HLF). They also give that cool sweep effect without requiring nearly a quarter of the WD40 that oscilasers require on a regular basis! Now all power arc needs to do is add the up/down effect in addition to the left/right sweep, and put it in a nice chrome mount

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
TritonBoulder47 said:
Where would one acquire one (or a pair) of these mythical creatures...? lol

how about M6 pedestal mounts ??

jatchinson

Feb 25, 2012
West Michigan
jatchinson said:

TritonBoulder47 said:
I didn't see anything for 600s... lol Not a pedestal mount anyway...

Pole/Pedestal Mount Adapter for Pioneer & Pioneer Plus are sold as a complete assembly, lighthead included. Please refer to the Pioneer & Pioneer Plus Catalog for details.

I could be wrong, maybe for a different Pioneer? I wondered after I posted the first time

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
jatchinson said:
Pole/Pedestal Mount Adapter for Pioneer & Pioneer Plus are sold as a complete assembly, lighthead included. Please refer to the Pioneer & Pioneer Plus Catalog for details.

I could be wrong, maybe for a different Pioneer? I wondered after I posted the first time

Who said anything about a Pioneer...? :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.