the start of my collocation federal signal Vision

daveduran

Jan 9, 2013
NJ
hello every one this is my first light bar got it from a buddy for 50 bucks no controller

can you guys throw me a few pointers, i already spent my day cleaning the pods

what kind of controller would i need to get to make the bar working?

Don't mind the mess of my apartment just moved in!

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_davdurbon_IMAG1062.jpg

ai711.photobucket.com_albums_ww112_davdurbon_IMAG1063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
If it is a Vector, and not a Vision, you don't really need a special controller. Black to ground, and all of the other wires should be 12v to activate the features. The exception is the arrowstick, you'll need a standard ground switched controller from any of the big names.

That's a good bar to start your collection, it looks good.

daveduran

Jan 9, 2013
NJ
Jman423 said:
If it is a Vector, and not a Vision, you don't really need a special controller. Black to ground, and all of the other wires should be 12v to activate the features. The exception is the arrowstick, you'll need a standard ground switched controller from any of the big names.

That's a good bar to start your collection, it looks good.

should have probably stated that it is a vision

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
daveduran said:
should have probably stated that it is a vision

OK, well your thread title says Vector.

You'll need a brain and keypad to make that bar work. The good news is that you won't need the arrowstick controller now... but pairing the bar with a brain will be tricky. Not all brains will work with all bars, likewise with the keypad/brain pairing.

daveduran

Jan 9, 2013
NJ
Jman423 said:
OK, well your thread title says Vector.

You'll need a brain and keypad to make that bar work. The good news is that you won't need the arrowstick controller now... but pairing the bar with a brain will be tricky. Not all brains will work with all bars, likewise with the keypad/brain pairing.

didnt know that they had different names the friend who i got if off said its a vector vision edition but i guess he was wrong. haha

he sold it to me cheap because he could never get it to work, i have a Neg a Positive and a what looks to be a J45 the end of it was cut

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
daveduran said:
didnt know that they had different names the friend who i got if off said its a vector vision edition but i guess he was wrong. haha

he sold it to me cheap because he could never get it to work, i have a Neg a Positive and a what looks to be a J45 the end of it was cut

Correct, there is a Vector, which is independent rotators, a Smart Vector with two "Smart Pods", and the Vision with all Smart Pods.

The Vision you have needs a special brain or it won't work.

The RJ45 cord you see cut isn't a big deal, it can be replaced easily... there are connectors at both sides of that cable, you'll just have to open up the bar to replace it.

I can't tell you which brain version you'll need, but you can find them for sale in our classifieds. The set (brain/keypad) can range from $150 to $250. Without that, the bar will not work at all.

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
I won't say they are über rare but I have not seen either of the parts for sale in a while. Post a wanted add as I'm sure someone here has what your looking for. I agree with Jman regarding the price for both parts.

It's a cool bar and very unique in design and features. It was over the top for a halogen lightbar though.

daveduran

Jan 9, 2013
NJ
Jman423 said:
Correct, there is a Vector, which is independent rotators, a Smart Vector with two "Smart Pods", and the Vision with all Smart Pods.

The Vision you have needs a special brain or it won't work.

The RJ45 cord you see cut isn't a big deal, it can be replaced easily... there are connectors at both sides of that cable, you'll just have to open up the bar to replace it.

I can't tell you which brain version you'll need, but you can find them for sale in our classifieds. The set (brain/keypad) can range from $150 to $250. Without that, the bar will not work at all.

thanks.. any clues on how i would find out what brain and keypad i would need

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Lucky bastard! The whole time I was living in NJ the cheapest I could find a Vision for was like $250... Good luck finding a brain for it.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
daveduran said:
Anyone know how u could get the light bar to fire up just want to make sure everything's working

Long story short... without rewireing the entire bar, you can't.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
foxtrot5 said:
Long story short... without rewireing the entire bar, you can't.

You can IF you have some smart boards available. Otherwise as foxtrot5 mentioned, no. You need the brain and keypad. Now I am sure someone could design a stepper motor driver, but probably not worth the effort.

daveduran

Jan 9, 2013
NJ
You can IF you have some smart boards available. Otherwise as foxtrot5 mentioned, no. You need the brain and keypad. Now I am sure someone could design a stepper motor driver, but probably not worth the effort.

Ok thanks ill hold off till I get a brain

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Warning!

Ya can't get just any vision brain to work with every vision lightbar. Long story short, the revision of the 3 control chips must be the same in the bar and brain. The internal chips can be swapped out, its just finding a matching set. I have a premium vision controller but it can't communicate with my vision because the chips are different revisions.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Jennifer Rose Towing said:
Warning!

Ya can't get just any vision brain to work with every vision lightbar. Long story short, the revision of the 3 control chips must be the same in the bar and brain. The internal chips can be swapped out, its just finding a matching set. I have a premium vision controller but it can't communicate with my vision because the chips are different revisions.

Not exactly. The vision bar, brain and keypad I have, all have different chip revisions and the bar works as it should. What you have to do is match the model number. IE if the bar does not have an arrowstick, the brain and keypad can not have that feature.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.