Thoughts on this “hack”?

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Have a dump truck that has the terrible, dim, generic quad flash oval grommet warning lights in the rear. I know sound off/Whelen make the rubber grommets for some of their lights but what are your thoughts on just buying some of these and surface mounting some microns or such to them? I can’t see any issues arising?

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 38

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The only issue I see is they are polycarbonate, not metal. Would it work? Absolutely. The plastic might be prone to breaking easier with all the vibration and banging around though.

I've seen people use thin metal (think like ductwork) traced and cut and used those with success. Whelen 500s fit good in those grommets too....Lotta waste hauler companies use em
Screenshot_20231031_092721_Google.jpg

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
To play devil's advocate, you already have operational amber lights as well as 4-way flashers if stopped. It's a dump truck, anyone who hits you is going to be SOL. Part of me says don't overthink this... nothing is more annoying than driving down the interstate and seeing a dump truck using all their amber blinkies front/rear while going 70 MPH.
The other part of me is a fan of the double-level Whelen 400 lightheads that are crazy bright from a long distance. You decide whether it's worth the effort.

Reactions: AnnaChimore and LED
Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Have a dump truck that has the terrible, dim, generic quad flash oval grommet warning lights in the rear. I know sound off/Whelen make the rubber grommets for some of their lights but what are your thoughts on just buying some of these and surface mounting some microns or such to them? I can’t see any issues arising?
Buyers makes some pretty decent multi function 6” ovals

Reactions: JohnMarcson and LED

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Buyers makes some pretty decent multi function 6” ovals
To play devil's advocate, you already have operational amber lights as well as 4-way flashers if stopped. It's a dump truck, anyone who hits you is going to be SOL. Part of me says don't overthink this... nothing is more annoying than driving down the interstate and seeing a dump truck using all their amber blinkies front/rear while going 70 MPH.
The other part of me is a fan of the double-level Whelen 400 lightheads that are crazy bright from a long distance. You decide whether it's worth the effort.
Apparently they don’t meet the certification standard required by the municipality I plow for. Was told they must be Class 1 warning lights now required during the pre-winter inspection.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Vertical ovals are going to present problems with most lights, as the long axis is the orientation of spread on most lights. Lots of light thrown into the sky and ground the further away you get, never mind any sloping of the backside of the dump body.

The Whelen 5G lightheads are SAE J845 Class 1 rated and specifically designed for those grommet holes. They also don't care about orientation because they don't really have much in the way of light lensing.

Fed Sig Signaltech also looks like it'd fit. They also are orientation neutral with their lensing.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a whole pile of disco lights on a dump truck either unless it does double duty as a plow truck.

Reactions: LED and JohnMarcson

AnnaChimore

Jul 8, 2023
Mishiwaka, IN
I think you could do that, but here's another vote for the Whelen 400 double lights. Amazing visibility and I think you can't go wrong. The Whelen 500s are pretty awesome too. Can't go wrong with either of them. If you use either of those you won't be redoing them in a year or two. Solid products!

Reactions: LED

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.