Throw light issue

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
I recently acquired a FedSig VAMA LM300 Sputnik magnetic LED beacon:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/images/lm300_20grande.jpg

It has built-in batteries that you recharge from the cigarette lighter, to make a cordless throw light. There are three magnets and three suction cups on the bottom (as with most VAMA throw lights). EVS - Emergency Vehicle Solutions : Federal Signal Mega Bright Rechargable LED Beacon [20023xx] - £209.99

It had been tossed by another agency, probably beacuse of the following three reasons:

-apparently, the batteries had run flat (would only run for a few seconds)

-one of the magnets had come off, and the bottom is cracked, so no easy way to reattach it

-a crack on the base of the dome

Reason three is nothing a little silicone sealant couldn't fix. I opened it up, and found a little jumper switch inside, that changed it to direct power mode bypassing the batteries - so now it runs straight off the cord, like a traditional throw light. Doing that, I also bypassed the switch on the side. The LEDs work just fine.

The one question is the missing magnet. Do I dare use it as a throw light? I am missing a third of the magnets - but pulled out 8 of the now unnecessary batteries (there were ten standard AA size rechargeable NiMH batteries inside). Two I left, beacuse it looked like they are also part of the structural integrity inside.

The light (without cord) now weighs 675 grams. The 8 batteries that I removed weighed 240 grams - so I've made the beacon 26% lighter than it was.

Is that enough to offset the missing magnet? Do I dare use it as a throw light? VAMA's LE330 strobe beacon has the same three magnets and suction cups, weighs approx. 1000 grams and is rated for speeds up to 250 kmh (155 mph).

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
RJ* said:
I recently acquired a FedSig VAMA LM300 Sputnik magnetic LED beacon:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/images/lm300_20grande.jpg

It has built-in batteries that you recharge from the cigarette lighter, to make a cordless throw light. There are three magnets and three suction cups on the bottom (as with most VAMA throw lights). EVS - Emergency Vehicle Solutions : Federal Signal Mega Bright Rechargable LED Beacon [20023xx] - £209.99

It had been tossed by another agency, probably beacuse of the following three reasons:

-apparently, the batteries had run flat (would only run for a few seconds)

-one of the magnets had come off, and the bottom is cracked, so no easy way to reattach it

-a crack on the base of the dome

Reason three is nothing a little silicone sealant couldn't fix. I opened it up, and found a little jumper switch inside, that changed it to direct power mode bypassing the batteries - so now it runs straight off the cord, like a traditional throw light. Doing that, I also bypassed the switch on the side. The LEDs work just fine.

The one question is the missing magnet. Do I dare use it as a throw light? I am missing a third of the magnets - but pulled out 8 of the now unnecessary batteries (there were ten standard AA size rechargeable NiMH batteries inside). Two I left, beacuse it looked like they are also part of the structural integrity inside.

The light (without cord) now weighs 675 grams. The 8 batteries that I removed weighed 240 grams - so I've made the beacon 26% lighter than it was.

Is that enough to offset the missing magnet? Do I dare use it as a throw light? VAMA's LE330 strobe beacon has the same three magnets and suction cups, weighs approx. 1000 grams and is rated for speeds up to 250 kmh (155 mph).

I'm no engineer, but I don't think the weight is much of a factor, it's the aerodynamic drag. Losing a magnet is going to limit your top speed.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
badbrad said:
It doesnt look like it would stand up to any outside use in rain/ snow, with those vent holes on the top.

Interestingly, my light doesn't have the vent holes - the stock picture must be some prototype version.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.