Throw light

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
Ok I am a cop and lately I have pulled up on scenes in my pov on way my to work or comming home from work like 5 times in the last 6 months. I am thinking about a throw light..but what should I get? Red/Blue in my state....thanks.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
squad511 said:
Ok I am a cop and lately I have pulled up on scenes in my pov on way my to work or comming home from work like 5 times in the last 6 months. I am thinking about a throw light..but what should I get? Red/Blue in my state....thanks.

I have a nice blue Whelen strobe in my for sale thread.

Dan

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
my favorite dashlight is a R/B Whelen Slimlighter. but if you dont want it visible all the time, whelen makes a nice LED visor light, that flips down when you want it.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
squad511 said:

Hi,

I just want to clarify that by throw light you mean a mag mount beacon to place on the roof of your vehicle for 360 visibility correct?

Are you wanting LED, strobe, or halogen?

What price range are you looking to spend on this light?

This info helps with suggestions that will work for you.

Chris

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
squad511 said:

You may want to clarify, as already stated. Some folks think of a throw light as a beacon with magnetic mount - others think of a throw light as a smaller dash light. If you're thinking a roof top beacon, R/B may be a little tricky to come by in such a small package. If you're thinking a dash light, there are several quality products available to you, whether new or used!

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
Lt.214 said:
Hi,

I just want to clarify that by throw light you mean a mag mount beacon to place on the roof of your vehicle for 360 visibility correct?

Are you wanting LED, strobe, or halogen?

What price range are you looking to spend on this light?

This info helps with suggestions that will work for you.

Chris

This is what I am talking about...and I don't care as long as it works, and I am looking under 250.00

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
For a while I used a cheap Whelen RB6 mag mount 2 sealed beam rotator in red/white which was pretty effective. You could do the same in red/blue if you really need both colors. I now use a Federal model 100 in all red with a 100 watt bulb instead of 55 watts, it's brighter than the sealed beams were but only 1 color at a time. And I like having a rotator when there's dense fog.

Dunno what state you're in, but in most states volly fire is either red or blue. I'd choose the opposite color from what the vollys use, and:

If you want blue, get a Whelen 800 low dome mag mount strobe.

If you want red, get a Federal Sentry halogen rotator mag mount.

Either one will only be 1 color, but it will be brighter and cheaper than an LED beacon. There are not many LED beacons rated Class 1 in red or blue, and some that are, shouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
squad511 said:
This is what I am talking about...and I don't care as long as it works, and I am looking under 250.00

I use a mag-mount mini bar (a Code 3 420) as a "throw light" on my explorer. Get one with a clear dome and r/b filters, and you'll have a pile of warning in a compact package that will stay put on the roof at highway speeds if nessessary. Should be able to get one for well under $150.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I'm old school when it comes to portable lights- rotating halogen.

For combi dash and roof- mag mount Whelen Cadet.

For single color- colored dome or clear dome w/ colored rotator filter, for dual color- split color dome.

When on the dash, add a Star Headlight (formerly SVP) 274-878 mirror attachment.

If for dash only- Code 3 DashLaser with mirror attachment, you can configure as single or dual color.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
If you want R/B you should check out the mini pinnacle.

Sirennet sells them for $235. Might be able to find one cheaper used. I think it would be perfect for your situations.

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
This will be when I stopped on the side of the road, I will never have this on while in motion...I am not one of those guys who stop cars in my POV....no vollies in our state can have lights in their vehicles....

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
squad511 said:

Here are my suggestions.

First, whatever light you choose make sure it carries a CLASS 1(Emergency use) rating. This helps protect you if you are using it and a secondary crash(s) result.

I would stay away from split colors on a single beacon. The colors can "blend" if you will at certain angles producing a different color light.

IF you choose a RED color light, I would go with LED or halogen rotator.

IF you choose a BLUE light, strobe or LED.

Halogen rotating lights will be the the most inexpensive. I suggest the following: Federal Signal Sentry or Firebeam in RED. Code 3 dash laser in RED. All three are under $100 new from retailers.

RED dash laser.png Code 3 Dash laser.

Strobes have come down in price with the wide spread use of LED's. A new strobe in blue would be in the $100 to $150 ish range new retail.

And finally LED's. Either red or blue, single color, clear outer dome. $150 and up for them new retail.

As far as what is best, I would say for what you want, a FS Sentry or Firebeam in RED would fit the bill nicely and be the least $$$ since this will have a light duty application.

This is just my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Chris

FS sentry.png

RED FS firebeam.jpg

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
There is someone selling those 911ep 360 Star led beacons in R/B in the for sale section for $75.

They are the perm mount, but you should be able to add a magnet to it.

Link:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f16/its-worth-l@@k-nib-light-emitting-diode-bar-talons-ghost-light-emitting-diode-hide-away-strobess-takedown-lights-wl-24-sirens-more-12708/

I purchased a Whelen Responder R/B mini led lightbar to use on work vehicles & the few times I use my personal vehicle. and I like it.

I purchased it from a website that sells refurbished Whelen items. I think it was $169.00

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
squad511 said:
This will be when I stopped on the side of the road, I will never have this on while in motion...I am not one of those guys who stop cars in my POV....no vollies in our state can have lights in their vehicles....

So vollies can' t have lights on there povs but you as an off duty LEO can? Never heard of that.

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
I am in MN...vollies can have lights on their cars I guess if they are doing what I am going to do with mine and only have them on when parked. They can not run code 3 in POVs...but then neither am I, although we are automatically on-duty when we stop to help...so I believe I am going to be covered.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
squad511 said:
I am in MN...vollies can have lights on their cars I guess if they are doing what I am going to do with mine and only have them on when parked. They can not run code 3 in POVs...but then neither am I, although we are automatically on-duty when we stop to help...so I believe I am going to be covered.

Uh... no. Volunteer firefighters in Minnesota can and do utilize red emergency lighting. Here's your state law:

2011 Minnesota Statutes

169.58 IDENTIFICATION LAMPS.Subd. 2.Red lamp; permit for volunteer emergency responders.

Upon obtaining a permit from the commissioner of public safety, any motor vehicles operated by an active member of a volunteer fire department authorized by or contracting with any city, town, or township in this state, an emergency medical first responder, or an ambulance crew member may be equipped with a lamp emitting a red light to the front of such vehicle. The lens of such lamp shall be not more than three inches in diameter. Such lamp shall be lighted only when the member of the volunteer fire department, ambulance crew member, or emergency medical first responder is responding to an emergency call in connection with duties as a volunteer firefighter, ambulance crew member, or responder. The commissioner of public safety is hereby authorized to issue permits on applications of a member of a volunteer fire department properly certified to by the chief of said volunteer fire department, and on applications for emergency medical first responders or ambulance crew members. The commissioner of public safety must be notified immediately upon the termination of membership in a volunteer fire department or when an ambulance or permitted emergency medical first responder ceases operations.

So not only can they have lights on/in their cars, they can have them while responding to an emergency call - not while parked, as you state.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
hes probably an auxiliary cop, since he has no idea what the laws in his state are... :weird:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
squad511 said:
... only have them on when parked...

Stop the presses!

Since you only intend to utilize your POV in a 'blocking' position
at scene, simply mount a pair of alternating amber LED lights in the rear deck at the outermost edges of the rear window and you're achieving your desired goal- warning approaching traffic from the rear to use caution when passing your scene.

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
MichianaELS said:
Uh... no. Volunteer firefighters in Minnesota can and do utilize red emergency lighting. Here's your state law:

So not only can they have lights on/in their cars, they can have them while responding to an emergency call - not while parked, as you state.

yeah I am aware of that law...I am not an auxillary cop...I know the laws in my state and I know my departments policies...thanks....

squad511

Oct 4, 2010
here
Storm4200 said:
hes probably an auxiliary cop, since he has no idea what the laws in his state are... :weird:

Um you might want to re-read that Portion of MN state law which I am well aware of, and I also know what the definition of a emergency vehicle is in our state...and a single non-flashing red light to the front does not cut it....thats a courtsey light and thats all..it does not give the operator any special premissions to exceed the speed limit, go through controlled intersections or any other previons that are granted to emergency vehicles. Also that part of the statue is pretty out dated as to my knowledge the commissioner of public safety does not grant those premissions any more.

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
squad511 said:
Um you might want to re-read that Portion of MN state law which I am well aware of, and I also know what the definition of a emergency vehicle is in our state...and a single non-flashing red light to the front does not cut it....thats a courtsey light and thats all..it does not give the operator any special premissions to exceed the speed limit, go through controlled intersections or any other previons that are granted to emergency vehicles. Also that part of the statue is pretty out dated as to my knowledge the commissioner of public safety does not grant those premissions any more.

Sounds pretty clear to me .. I hope 2011 isn't to far outdated .. if you know something we dont . teach us . Thats what this site was created for . Learning

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.