TIR/Linear beam pattern pictures?

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I use LED's for various hobbies, and I've been naturally following this forum for a long time. I find the LEO leds tend to have better designs overall, especially with heat dissipation, and mounting options. However I've noticed an interesting pattern amongst LED light head makers to not mention lumens or even candella, which is really odd considering the competitiveness of the industry. It makes finding the "brightest" difficult and extremely subjective.

My headlights do a poor job of illuminating to the side of my car, and I was interested in using some light heads (possibly linz6), to provide more light to the 45-90 degree angles so I can see better while turning. I was thinking of using the 10-75 license plate bracket, and adding 2 white linz6. I've seen a lot of videos and pictures, but no good examples of "beam patterns" illuminated against a wall for example.

Does anyone have wall shots showing the beam patterns of various light heads? IE; http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa/bi ... arg=p46slc Ideally I would like to see the spread, the height, and intensity of the light head if possible.

Thank you!

awww.caranddriver.com_var_ezwebin_site_storage_images_reviews_8073048f33dac7570c603f14166ee071.jpg

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
The problem with LED's is that, while they can be seen from far away, they aren't always that bright from the other end. Depending on optics, the user viewed light dissipates quickly. For example, I have a large Streamlight with a halogen bulb and 3 small LEDs in the reflector. When I am approaching a car, I use halogen because the light has better throw. When I am looking at a DL or writing a ticket, I switch to LED because it is bright enough to see what I am doing but doesn't have bad glare.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Simply put....

at 10 feet shining on a flat wall...

A tir style light will project a round circle of light approx. 8 feet in diameter.

A linear style light will project a beam 2 feet wide by 10 feet long.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
bluestinger90 said:
I use LED's for various hobbies, and I've been naturally following this forum for a long time. I find the LEO leds tend to have better designs overall, especially with heat dissipation, and mounting options. However I've noticed an interesting pattern amongst LED light head makers to not mention lumens or even candella, which is really odd considering the competitiveness of the industry. It makes finding the "brightest" difficult and extremely subjective.

My headlights do a poor job of illuminating to the side of my car, and I was interested in using some light heads (possibly linz6), to provide more light to the 45-90 degree angles so I can see better while turning. I was thinking of using the 10-75 license plate bracket, and adding 2 white linz6. I've seen a lot of videos and pictures, but no good examples of "beam patterns" illuminated against a wall for example.

Does anyone have wall shots showing the beam patterns of various light heads? IE; http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa/bi ... arg=p46slc Ideally I would like to see the spread, the height, and intensity of the light head if possible.

Thank you!

You do realize that you would probably be blinding oncoming drivers with such a setup? I know it wouldn't be legal here. Lighting laws in the US seem a lot more permissive though.

Newer cars accomplish the same by switching on the turnside front fog light, when you make a turn at low speed.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
not to be rude but for the application you want to use them for is a waste of money.it is your cash but adding the cost of the lights,bracket and wiring your looking at $125-$150 or more easy. i would say a pair of driving lights would work just as well and they are close to the same size depending on brand ,and this route would cost half if not less what the linz would cost.

just my .02

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
+1 on the Fog or Driving lights. Clear fog lights would be legal, and could be aimed at a 45 degree offset. You can get several different types at an auto supply store, and they draw less than ten amps. They are great supplemental on-scene lights too.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Dont do the LINZ6s, they are designed to be warning lights and should be used as such. The Mighty Night lights are designed to project a beam and would be way better for the application. However I am not so sure that this wont cause you legal issues with it being blinding to traffic. I would agree with the above statements and go halogen.

S

sargeek

I think what is officially wants is a "cornering light". The left light would come on with the left turn signal, and the right will come on with the right turn signal. These lights were poplar in the 80's on big american cars such as Caddies, Oldsmobile, and Chryslers. On really uptown vehicles, these cornering lights both light up when the vehicle is in reverse. They were usually mounted down low in the front fender infront of the front tire. Some OTR busses still have this feature.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Check out walmart. Believe it or not, they have a decent selection of after market driving/fog lights. Mount them in the front of your car and angle them out a little bit. My set cost me $25 plus an hour of labor. Hope that helps.

If you insist on going the LED route and walmart does not suite you, get a set of sound off ghost rock lights (white). They are steady burn, cost $100 each but are bright! I used them in the same way that you want to. I have my set on a shelf not in used at the moment, PM me if you are interested in them and we can work something out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.