tir style light inside crown vic rear light housing?

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Has anyone tried to mount a tir style light in the empty "pocket" of a newer style crown vic tail light? I've tried strobes back there, but they tend to run hot and aren't very bright since their isn't any reflective material in there.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Are you talking about the bottom, where it was amber in 1998, and red since then? Ft.Worth PD external mounts tir3's there. If your good with a jig saw, you could mount them HAW style. But I would stick a pair of HAW LED's in each side.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
HILO said:
Are you talking about the bottom, where it was amber in 1998, and red since then? Ft.Worth PD external mounts tir3's there. If your good with a jig saw, you could mount them HAW style. But I would stick a pair of HAW LED's in each side.

Yes, that is exactly where I am referring to. The problem I ran into is that without any reflective material inside the housing, a regular hideaway style head doesn't really disperse light well. I figured a lighthead with its own optics would put out better light. I would mount it inside the taillight housing, so as to give it a hideaway look. Just not sure if its worth the effort.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
LAPD uses vertexes there. Their undercover charges have a tir looking lighthead in their taillights.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Were there certain years where the lower red housing had a reflector? I just put strobes in two 2008 models and I swear they had reflectors there, as the strobes were plenty bright and filled the housing.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
My 2005 Ford F-150 has the same unused light area under neath the tail lamp. I had put some chinese hide away LEDs there but due to the shittyness of the lightheads they were not very bright. Im pretty sure some TIR3s would look awesome in there.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Code 3 used to make some LEDX's that would mount inside the tail light housings. They were a pain to mount and had to drill a 1 3/4 hole in the tail light. I have a few sets out there. Most have been retrofitted with vertex's

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
I have the Axixtech TIR LED hide-aways in my 07 F-150 in the bottom of the tail lights and they are nice and bright. I can see them in the day or night.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
acs680 said:
Were there certain years where the lower red housing had a reflector? I just put strobes in two 2008 models and I swear they had reflectors there, as the strobes were plenty bright and filled the housing.

I don't know which years exactly, but some Crown Vics (CVPI and others) had an amber turn signal in that section. Most of them have a red lens and no bulb in that section, though.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
the Police interceptor in 98-99 had the amber lower turn signal. It was a separate circut like the passenger model. That amber turn signal contined into about 2003ish on the street appearance package.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the amber lower sections were on the 99 and 98 models, they how ever didnt make the amber lower section lenses with black trim. I always liked doing haw strobes in the upper red section and the lower amber section and Xing the pattern . IIRC there is reflector material in those sections, I have mounted vertex heads in them and they are pretty bright , I dont think that you would gain any brightness with using the LIN3 style heads

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.