To whack a whacker. (Wanna Be/Imposter ride for sale)

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Skip Goulet said:
You bring up an interesting issue when you say that having a scanner can get you looks. For many, many years, Odessa had an ordinance on the books that disallowed the use of a "police receiver" in a vehicle. Even the news people had to have written permits to have receivers in their mobile news units. And they tried their best to strictly enforce that ordinance to the point that they went well overboard in doing so, which eventually got them in a lot of trouble. They were so paranoid about it, that if they saw a car with an antenna other than the car radio antenna, they were liable to pull someone over to see what they had. With oil companies using their own two-way frequencies, you saw a lot of company cars with whip antennas, and that caught the cops' eyes, since at the time they were still using low band frequencies. But it didn't change much when they went to high band in the early '60s. One time a guy who had a ham radio in his car (for which he was licensed, of course) had stopped at a red light. The receiver on his ham radio could be tuned to hear the old low band police traffic around here. A cop car stopped next to him, and when one of the cops answered his radio, he heard his voice come back over the guy's ham radio. They pulled him over and saw the big radio and had a fit. He showed them that he was licensed to use the radio, but that didn't satisfy them. They let him know that they said who was licensed or not. So they pried the radio out from under the dash, damaging both radio and vehicle, and smashed the radio with a sledge hammer. He was also cited for 'illegal use of a police radio' inside the city limits of Odessa. He filed suit and won easily and also filed a complaint with the FCC, who pounced on them. But that did little good and it was "business as usual". What got them in really not water was when a guy who was a radio technician for the sheriff's office in Levelland, a small town west of Lubbock, made a trip to Odessa. Since he worked for the county, he had a two-way on the common low band frequency in his pick up. His whip antenna was spotted by an Odessa cop and he was pulled over. When they discovered that not only could he hear, he could talk as well, he was arrested and carted off to jail and the pick up impounded. His one phone call went to the sheriff in Levelland, who called the police chief in Odessa and gave him hell. That got the guy out of jail. But he, too, filed an FCC complaint, and it cost the City of Odessa nearly $10,000 in fines, and they finally got rid of that pesky ordinance.

Yeah its a nono here but hams can get away with it with a little grief at times.. heres the State Statute:

843.167 Unlawful use of police communications; enhanced penalties.—

(1) A person may not:

(a) Intercept any police radio communication by use of a scanner or any other means for the purpose of using that communication to assist in committing a crime or to escape from or avoid detection, arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment in connection with the commission of such crime.

( B)  Divulge the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of a police radio communication to any person he or she knows to be a suspect in the commission of a crime with the intent that the suspect may escape from or avoid detention, arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment.

(2) Any person who is charged with a crime and who, during the time such crime was committed, possessed or used a police scanner or similar device capable of receiving police radio transmissions is presumed to have violated paragraph (1)(a).

(3) The penalty for a crime that is committed by a person who violates paragraph (1)(a) shall be enhanced as follows:

(a) A misdemeanor of the second degree shall be punished as if it were a misdemeanor of the first degree.

( B)  A misdemeanor of the first degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the third degree.

© A felony of the third degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the second degree.

(d) A felony of the second degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the first degree.

(e) A felony of the first degree shall be punished as if it were a life felony.

(4) Any person who violates paragraph (1)( B) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CodeMan said:
Yeah its a nono here but hams can get away with it with a little grief at times.. heres the State Statute:
843.167 Unlawful use of police communications; enhanced penalties.—

(1) A person may not:

(a) Intercept any police radio communication by use of a scanner or any other means for the purpose of using that communication to assist in committing a crime or to escape from or avoid detection, arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment in connection with the commission of such crime.

( B)  Divulge the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of a police radio communication to any person he or she knows to be a suspect in the commission of a crime with the intent that the suspect may escape from or avoid detention, arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment.

(2) Any person who is charged with a crime and who, during the time such crime was committed, possessed or used a police scanner or similar device capable of receiving police radio transmissions is presumed to have violated paragraph (1)(a).

(3) The penalty for a crime that is committed by a person who violates paragraph (1)(a) shall be enhanced as follows:

(a) A misdemeanor of the second degree shall be punished as if it were a misdemeanor of the first degree.

( B)  A misdemeanor of the first degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the third degree.

© A felony of the third degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the second degree.

(d) A felony of the second degree shall be punished as if it were a felony of the first degree.

(e) A felony of the first degree shall be punished as if it were a life felony.

(4) Any person who violates paragraph (1)( B) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I'm not sure if it's still in existence or not, but at one time Midland required anyone who used their frequencies: i.e. the private ambulance services years ago, to agree not to divulge anything they heard on the radio. But it didn't go so far as to forbid the use of scanners, etc. It was Odessa's ordinance as I mention at length above, that got into outlawing receivers, and their enforcement of the ordinance.

When Odessa went to their new digital radios a few years ago, they encrypted the ambulance-to-hospital channel, citing "privacy" reasons. Not even the media can hear the ambulance traffic. But the argument here is that "privacy" is not an issue with a patient onboard an ambulance, because they do not give out specific information such as name, etc. They still just say something like a "30 yr. old male with chest pain," etc. Once in the ER and patient therein, then the privacy issues can be raised. The news stations have complained about it, but have gotten nowhere for the moment. Ditto in Abilene, where the police chief had his entire radio system encrypted, where you can't even hear routine traffic. A throwback to the old chief in Odessa....!

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Skip Goulet said:
When Odessa went to their new digital radios a few years ago, they encrypted the ambulance-to-hospital channel, citing "privacy" reasons. Not even the media can hear the ambulance traffic. But the argument here is that "privacy" is not an issue with a patient onboard an ambulance, because they do not give out specific information such as name, etc. They still just say something like a "30 yr. old male with chest pain," etc. Once in the ER and patient therein, then the privacy issues can be raised. The news stations have complained about it, but have gotten nowhere for the moment. Ditto in Abilene, where the police chief had his entire radio system encrypted, where you can't even hear routine traffic. A throwback to the old chief in Odessa....!
We have an encrypted channel that only the receiving facility and the mobiles in the ambulances have. Apparently we're able to give patient info over the radio, but i still prefer not to. :hopeless:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
timlinson said:
We have an encrypted channel that only the receiving facility and the mobiles in the ambulances have. Apparently we're able to give patient info over the radio, but i still prefer not to. :hopeless:

If you don't do your pt. reports over the radio, do you phone them in? You shouldn't be concerned if the channel is encrypted. As I said above, encryption shouldn't apply to pt. reports anyway; it's not a privacy issue if you're not giving specific demographics such as name, address, etc. Telling the ER that you're transporting a 30 yr. old male, etc., does not involve privacy issues.

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Skip Goulet said:
If you don't do your pt. reports over the radio, do you phone them in? You shouldn't be concerned if the channel is encrypted. As I said above, encryption shouldn't apply to pt. reports anyway; it's not a privacy issue if you're not giving specific demographics such as name, address, etc. Telling the ER that you're transporting a 30 yr. old male, etc., does not involve privacy issues.

I give reports via radio, however depending on the ER staff working, they'll request the name, social over the encrypted channel so they can look them up in their system. I usually ignore the request though.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
timlinson said:
I give reports via radio, however depending on the ER staff working, they'll request the name, social over the encrypted channel so they can look them up in their system. I usually ignore the request though.

I don't think I've ever heard an ER request that sort of information from an inbound medic; but since they know that the system is encrypted, I'm not surprised. I used to hear them give out the patient's doctor's name, but I haven't heard that in some time. As I've said, Odessa's traffic for ambulance to ER is encrypted, but Midland's isn't; so I hear their transport traffic all the time.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
New use for the PT Loser/ Cruiser.

PT Ambulance.jpg

Kinda cool for advertising? :undecided:

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
I had a security car behind me on the way home from classes one night here on 93S and they started flashing their light bar at me. I was doing 70 and they were riding my ass. Finally they passed me and I saw it was a private security company my aunt works for in a management position. I heard they had a nice talk for trying to make people pull over on the highway :D :duh:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
CodeMan said:
Im speechless, :eek:

:hahano: Nope, not in my back yard. :hahano:

With 3 felonies, why does Mr. Everett want to drive an ex cop car with cop lights?

Last edited by a moderator:

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
CodeMan said:
Im speechless, :eek:

You can buy kits for underglow, engine compartment, wheel well, and interior lighting that goes with the music or to a set color changing pattern/single color off of amazon for $30-150 depending on the kit.

This guy took trying to show off for the ladies to a whole new level. :crazy: :nono: :weird:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.