Tomar Products?

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
I've never had the opportunity to experience any TOMAR products up close and in person. cajunblitz seems to use a lot of TOMAR products on his installs, and he obviously knows what he is talking about. Does anybody out there have something bad to say about TOMAR or a negative experience they'd like to share?

I've always used Whelen products for any work that I've done. I don't want to be close-minded so I was hoping to explore other brands, maybe somebody could shed some light for me?

Thanks.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
well, the tomar neob bars are usually very bright. i have a tomar 926 bar at home (tomar guts inside a jet style shell) and it will blind you. i worked for a tow truck company and they had all tomar bars on their trucks. stood out very nice on the side of the road.

the only complaint we/they has was we had a couple bars that would eat power supplies. the 1 ber in particular had to have both power supplies changed out in about a 6 month period of time.

other than that i like them.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
TangoDown said:
I've never had the opportunity to experience any TOMAR products up close and in person. cajunblitz seems to use a lot of TOMAR products on his installs, and he obviously knows what he is talking about. Does anybody out there have something bad to say about TOMAR or a negative experience they'd like to share?

I've always used Whelen products for any work that I've done. I don't want to be close-minded so I was hoping to explore other brands, maybe somebody could shed some light for me?

Thanks.

I actually have something bad to say about Tomar.

They don't make enough bracketry for their products, and are slow to engineer what they do make. If they'd make more brackets, I'd sell/use more Tomar products! They need to get on the application stick!

You listening/reading this Rex?

There are some new and exciting Tomar products being developed right now, and I've been given a sneek peek at them, but have been sworn to secrecy. Tomar is upping its game in the vehicle warning light business, just not as fast as we'd like to see it. If they'd keep pace with SoundOff or Whelen in product development and application support, I'd be really happy!

That is all......lol!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Their first "generaton" of the RECT 25's were VERY prone to water damage.. and the boards were NOT encapsulated. (doh!)

BUT- bright as the sun, cannot be drown out regardless of the time of day, and they quickly pushed a small revision to correct the water issue.

Main reason I think Tomar is not overly used (except for large fleets) is its cost prohibitive- but I think with their new product line, that will be a thing of the past. The "common" users of Tomar down here are ambulances- and lots of them.

Their NEOBE strobe power supplies also like to "eat" strobe tubes due to the constant flashing, so I have been told.

Top quality stuff in my mind. No I don't work for them- just really like their stuff.

TangoDown

May 22, 2010
Montana
They do seem to be spendier than some. I priced out a Tomar RECT-25 for 154.00 - at that price you could easily procure three TIR-3s, or a SoundOff Predator II. Is the Tomar that much brighter?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
TangoDown said:
They do seem to be spendier than some. I priced out a Tomar RECT-25 for 154.00 - at that price you could easily procure three TIR-3s, or a SoundOff Predator II. Is the Tomar that much brighter?
Hell yes.

Also sounds like you were going for the high power version, which has 12 (yes twelve) diodes contained within.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
NONE from Canada- expensive as... well.. its Canada.. lol.

Just post a want ad I am sure there are a few Tomar dealers on here. ;)

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
I only have good comments for Tomar. Like it was said above, the LED's just punch very well in any conditions. I've not had the problems with the power supplies that others have been saying. I had one Preempting supply go after 3 years, but they replaced it in under a week and they stand behind the warranty very well.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Used a dual strobe Police Light II as a volly. Loved that light - extremely bright and with the neobe flash pattern the flashback wasnt bad due to the constant strobing. Strange as it sounds it actually made it easier rather than having sudden bursts of light. Really like their products.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
My friend just recieved a new Tomar Scorpion, I will see what I can do about some pics and a video. I sell more Sound Off than tomar because the price difference but Tomars are really nice lights however like cajun said about the brackets and stuff are true, Get CREATIVE TOMAR!

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Tomar seems to have a nice product...(I've only had a few 930N bars & a 925). Only problems I've had with them are a couple of blown power supplies; which they replaced under warranty (10 years is nice!). All it took was a phone call & $8 to ship them the bad part(s).

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I used to be a big Whelen fan until I dicovered Tomar. I liked it so much that I became a tomar Dealer in NY. Tomar are the brightest LED's on the market today. Put a 200S dash light next to a Whelen Avenger or a Rect25 next to a Whelen 500 lin6 you be the judge. I have a high powered tomar Blade and 8 rect 13's in the grille. I still like the Whelen siren. I any one needs Tomar products I can get them for you. Cajunblitz I agree with you they are slow to come out with product. I spoke to them they say they are coming out with a rect 13 or 14 dominator up to 12 heads. Tomar is more expensive but worth the price.

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
I have never had any bad experiences with Tomar... I love the stuff! I wish more departments around here would be into them, as I'm sure I'd sell tons more. But, the depts like to stick with who they've got... no matter what I say, lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.