Toronto EMS Ambulance bus responding

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Thats actually footage of it responding to boulders accident since they needed a bigger unit

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I like how they flash all the red then all he white. I think that makes it look so good. I wonder if they are all on one flasher. They make the 700 and M series 2 wire now.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I think it needs more intersection coverage :dielaugh: :bonk:

Definitely a cool rig. Anyone have any specs on it?

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Amazing what some snyc can do, even with split heads. It seems as though a lot of the Canadian agencies use Tomar products - is that what's on this bus? Neobe can often be picked up on camera, so that was my thought, anyone know better than I do?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The siren on that bus sounds like a Whelen.

I lived in Toronto during the late 1990s, and the ambo service was using early 1980s Orion transit buses. I remember seeing one running code 3, and it had a Federal Twin Sonic light bar mounted where the destination sign would normally be. The bar had clear covers with red and white twin sealed beams on either side. I can't remember the sound of the siren very well, but it did have low-pitched wail and yelp tones.

Strobe Craft

Jul 23, 2011
IL
Alright, so not to be asking a stupid question here, but why would they need that big bus for EMS? like is it for a big big accident or crisis situation? Just wondering here. Thanks

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Strobe Craft said:
Alright, so not to be asking a stupid question here, but why would they need that big bus for EMS? like is it for a big big accident or crisis situation? Just wondering here. Thanks

Because they're Canadian, and they do silly things up there... LoL :dielaugh: :haha:

But seriously, I would assume ot for a "Mass Casualty" type of incident...

NJMedic

Mar 13, 2011
USA, New Jersey
Strobe Craft said:

NJ has 3 right now and adding 4 or 5 more. FDNY EMS has one for each boro which are called MERV's. Metro DC has a bunch too it the post 911 EMS resource. Jersey has used theirs for several nursing home evac's. They only been in service 6 months.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
NJMedic said:
NJ has 3 right now and adding 4 or 5 more. FDNY EMS has one for each boro which are called MERV's. Metro DC has a bunch too it the post 911 EMS resource. Jersey has used theirs for several nursing home evac's. They only been in service 6 months.
Are you talking about the state of NJ or towns within it?

NJMedic

Mar 13, 2011
USA, New Jersey
theroofable said:
Are you talking about the state of NJ or towns within it?

The State EMS Task Force bought them with Federal monies then assign them to local agencies who can use them for local response but when the flag go up and the State of NJ calls they have to send the bus with their manpower. There are also 4 large MCRU's which are large rescue trucks to handle 100 patients and 4 smaller ones for 50 patients around the state. There is a mobile ED on at tractor trailer and a similar set up for an operating room. There are Western Shelters for a 95 bed field hospital. And a half a dozen staging area trailers. Logistical support trailer around the state also.

twisted_metal

Jan 22, 2011
Toronto ON, Canada
right from the TEMS website. Toronto EMS - Our Fleet

"Emergency Support Bus

This Emergency Support Unit is an ambulance based on a bus frame which can respond to all emergency incidents with the potential of multiple casualties. These might include apartment fires, airport or aircraft incidents, and bus or train incidents. It incorporates all regulated safety features required by the Ambulance Act to be classified as an ambulance. It has a capacity of 10 stretcher patients and 10 ambulatory patients. It is designed and equipped for active emergency care. It also features a communications centre, washroom, and an onboard 6 kw generator. Only one of our two ESU buses are staffed on a 24-hour basis, the other is always available to respond to the scene of a large incident."

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i wish those NJ busses would sync their light heads like that toronto bus. that looked really good

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
Detroit, 1968 Gerstenschlager mobile hospital

View attachment 20600

They had 3 medical doctors on staff and one of them would respond to all extra alarm fires with this unit. Injured FFs could be treated on scene up to and including some surgery.

It had two Strat-O-Rays on the roof and a series of surface mounted flashers around the sides and rear.

Later converted to a command post, I think they replaced the clear domes with green ones.

savn-u

Jun 1, 2012
Wisconsin USA
The company that makes the buses they are using is called Crestline Coach. They are a Canadian ambulance manufacturer out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan. Toronto has a few of them on hand. The giant "A" you see is also on their ambulances and stands for Ambulance....not Asshole.

Toronto is the largest EMS system in Canada. I myself am origianlly from the province of Ontario. The red white flash patterns you see was a government standard much like the KKK standard that started in the 1990's and still goes to this day. They used to alternate the red and scene lights on the rigs i used to work on.

Crestline | MPERV

Crestline | MPERV

Also Toronto is running GMC ambulances from the same company that have the same style light setup and paint scheme.

Crestline | New Era

Hope this helps.

Savn-u

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Here are FDNYs Rigs... Both sides of the Current Set-Up and a pic of one of the little older rigs, lol.

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_FDNYMERV5.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_FDNYMERV2.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt272_lafd55_FDNYMERV2_A.jpg

And a response video, notice the pedestrian stopping and directing traffic, haha. Oh yea, FDNY has the worst non-synced lightbars I have ever seen!

Last edited by a moderator:

rlarose

Mar 30, 2011
Toronto/ Canada
Rusted413 said:
Amazing what some snyc can do, even with split heads. It seems as though a lot of the Canadian agencies use Tomar products - is that what's on this bus? Neobe can often be picked up on camera, so that was my thought, anyone know better than I do?

Yes all Toronto EMS are using Tomar lights Rect 79, Rect 37 and 465L LED lightbar

Bullets

Mar 14, 2012
New Jersey
5309 said:
do you need your bus endorsement to drive that? or is it like any other emergency vehicle?
depends on the state. NJ does not require a CDL to operate an emergency vehicle, but you cant cross state lines if you dont have a cdl

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.