TouchMaster Delta to Whelen HHS3200 and 21Button Control Head

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Please bear with me so I can explain everything. I have a 2015 Dodge Charger Pursuit.

Had a touchmaster Delta installed.
I grabbed the two horn wires from behind the glove compartment. Both wires were connected to the back of the touchmaster Delta. One went to the screw marked horn in the other one went to the screw marked ring. When the touchmaster Delta slide switch was to the very left, My factory horn would work. If I put the slide so I can switch in position 3 I would get the siren.

The Dodge Charger also has factory wig wags and flashing tail lights. I had one wire to the back of the touch Master Delta going to a switch and I had the rear flashers going to another switch everything worked.

Today I decided to install my new siren.
Generally speaking the siren works. But I am having a problem with programming and the wires from my factory horn.

I thought I was following the installation instruction from the page and when I made the final connection it made the siren sound without doing anything on the controller
So obviously I hooked up and correctly.

Also I tried hooking up the front wig wags to a wire that was triggered by I believe button nine but it wouldn't flash the lights again I don't know if I have a wiring issue or a programming issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Are all of your connections hooked up to the proper polarity? I don’t know the Charger very well, but if you grabbed horn ring inside the car, it is probably ground activated, and will rest at voltage. So if you hooked it up to the positive input on the hhs, it will trigger the siren constantly. Are the factory wig wags and tail light flash positive or ground activated? That HHS does not have any negative outputs.

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Well I was talking to an upfitter I know and apparently, I forgot to hook up what's called on the wiring diagram relay power J7. So I guess once I connect these red wires to the positive side of the battery my programmed button for my lights should work.

Still need to figure out the horn situation. From what you described, it did trigger the siren constantly. So I guess that's something I still have to work on.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Do you know if your horn ring wires are negative or positive? Horn side should be wired to J5 pin 10(wht/blu) switch side should be wired to J5 pin 11(wht) and J5 pin 12(wht/blk) should be wired to J8 pin 9(blk/wht) for negative or J8 pin 4(wht/blk) for positive.

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Do you know if your horn ring wires are negative or positive? Horn side should be wired to J5 pin 10(wht/blu) switch side should be wired to J5 pin 11(wht) and J5 pin 12(wht/blk) should be wired to J8 pin 9(blk/wht) for negative or J8 pin 4(wht/blk) for positive.
So if you look at this picture I grabbed the wire I cut it and then I connected two extensions. For the TouchMaster one wire went to horn screw in the other one went to ring screw and that completed the circuit.

Also from the diagram it looks like it's positive which I completely forgot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213_224315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213_224315_Chrome.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 4

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So if you look at this picture I grabbed the wire I cut it and then I connected two extensions. For the TouchMaster one wire went to horn screw in the other one went to ring screw and that completed the circuit.

Also from the diagram it looks like it's positive which I completely forgot.
So the wire that went to the horn screw should now go to J5 pin 10. The wire that went to ring screw should go to J5 pin 11. (I think, Im not that familiar with the touchmaster, so it’s possible that those wires should be reversed.)
Then, connect J5 pin 12 to J8 pin 4. Its very possible that you have that wired correctly, but forgot one final step. You need to move a fuse to a different position. This changes those connections from a standard output to a dry contact relay.
There is another way to wire up the horn ring, but it would require an additional installer supplied relay.

Attachments

• 0E35E8CE-B540-4897-ACCB-6F5657417B27.jpeg
    0E35E8CE-B540-4897-ACCB-6F5657417B27.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Okay that makes sense I did disconnect the wires for the horn so I would have to start from scratch. With that being said.

I guess the first thing I'll do is move the fuse. Then I'll start with the connections as you listed it and see if it works and then if it doesn't reverse those two wires.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
If you have a meter, figure out which wire puts out 12v when the horn is pressed, that wire should go to pin11(wht). When looking at Whelen instructions, always double check the pinout position of the wire. Ive come across a few plugs from the factory that had the wrong colored wires.

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
I want to thank you for your help so far by swapping the spot with the fuse and following your instructions My factory horn works. What I'm unable to figure out, is how to get the press of the horn button on the steering wheel to activate anything on the siren but in reality the only thing I want to activate by pressing the horn ring on the steering wheel is the air horn if you could help me with that that would be fantastic.

Gary

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I want to thank you for your help so far by swapping the spot with the fuse and following your instructions My factory horn works. What I'm unable to figure out, is how to get the press of the horn button on the steering wheel to activate anything on the siren but in reality the only thing I want to activate by pressing the horn ring on the steering wheel is the air horn if you could help me with that that would be fantastic.

Gary
In your programming, you need to turn on the horn relay in whatever situation you want it to work. As far as making it activate the airhorn, that can be tricky. What control head are you using? Depending on the control head presets, the horn ring is already programmed to do airhorn or siren depending on what mode the controller is set in.
So, if you dont want the horn press to do anything except airhorn, the easiest way would be to delete all of the hands free siren presets, or start a new program without those presets. Then just add the airhorn tone to the horn ring input in programming.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Doh, now reading the title of this thread, I see that its a 21 button control head. I think if your horn relay is on, and no tone is selected, and the control is not in hands free or manual, the airhorn will sound when the horn ring is activated. Im not positive on that though.

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Dumb question? Is relay power J7 supposed to be hooked up, I'm going to hook it up tomorrow so I can work my lights but is that relay stuff also needed for the horn

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I’ve never not hooked it up, so Im not sure. But if your horn relay is activated, and nothing is happening, thats either programming, or your horn wires are backwards.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Doh, now reading the title of this thread, I see that its a 21 button control head. I think if your horn relay is on, and no tone is selected, and the control is not in hands free or manual, the airhorn will sound when the horn ring is activated. Im not positive on that though.
Im looking through the programming on the 3200 right now. For what you want, de-select the “hands free and manual” preset. Then in programming make an event for the horn ring to activate airhorn.

Gary599

Nov 29, 2022
Florida
Im looking through the programming on the 3200 right now. For what you want, de-select the “hands free and manual” preset. Then in programming make an event for the horn ring to activate airhorn.
Can you make a preset for me save it attach it and then I'll load that and see if it works.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.