Towing

EMSRL188

Feb 11, 2014
NY
1) Anyone know of good, not too expensive tow rope?

2) where to anchor the rope on a 2013 Honda Pilot (without a hitch)

EMSRL188

Feb 11, 2014
NY
OVERKILL said:
are you wanting a recovery point just in case you get stuck or are you looking to use your vehicle to help others get unstuck

use my vehicle to help others get unstuck.

Not on a regular basis, but the need arises every once in a while

OVERKILL

Jan 27, 2012
hamilton ontario canada
you can add a pair of recovery hooks to your vehicle. In my opinion add a hitch its probably the safest way to do this with out damaging your vehicle. I have a suburban and I have class 4 hitch on both front and back I also have a 5000 lb winch that goes into the receiver and connects with some Anderson connectors. I am kinda old school and don't like the ropes I always use chain. If you are concerned about breakage you can take some rope and weave it through the chain links from end to end as a retention device in case of breakage

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
OVERKILL said:
you can add a pair of recovery hooks to your vehicle. In my opinion add a hitch its probably the safest way to do this with out damaging your vehicle. I have a suburban and I have class 4 hitch on both front and back I also have a 5000 lb winch that goes into the receiver and connects with some Anderson connectors. I am kinda old school and don't like the ropes I always use chain. If you are concerned about breakage you can take some rope and weave it through the chain links from end to end as a retention device in case of breakage

I searched the great google for aftermarket/OEM tow hooks for his vehicle- could not find a single result. Kinda weird.

+1 on the rear hitch suggestion. Don't bother trying to get something for the front of the vehicle, its a unibody and I wouldn't want to add any undue stress to the front if it was me.... (says the guy driving a unibody jeep about to add a front winch.. mind you its built to take it- heh)

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
If you had a pickup or something similer, I could understand, but a unibody Honda Pilot? Not a good idea friend. I recover vehicles professionally, and can assure you that your vehicle is not suitable for that task. The safest route, if you environment demands it, it to have a Class 4+ hitch installed by the dealer...and use a muti-mount electric winch. This will at least prevent you from shock-loading your chassis by trying to unstuck someone with "running-start pull" method. However....you'll have a hard time "Anchoring" that Pilot to be able to pull anyone with the winch. Vehicle is just too light, and you can't anchor the front of the pilot while pulling from the rear with the winch because it will bend the unibody/chassis just as it bends a frame....totaling your Honda in the process. Use good judgment, and when in doubt....call a professional.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
wrecker44 said:
If you had a pickup or something similer, I could understand, but a unibody Honda Pilot? Not a good idea friend. I recover vehicles professionally, and can assure you that your vehicle is not suitable for that task. The safest route, if you environment demands it, it to have a Class 4+ hitch installed by the dealer...and use a muti-mount electric winch. This will at least prevent you from shock-loading your chassis by trying to unstuck someone with "running-start pull" method. However....you'll have a hard time "Anchoring" that Pilot to be able to pull anyone with the winch. Vehicle is just too light, and you can't anchor the front of the pilot while pulling from the rear with the winch because it will bend the unibody/chassis just as it bends a frame....totaling your Honda in the process. Use good judgment, and when in doubt....call a professional.

Everything he said.

If you had a truck I could see doing it but, not a good idea with a Honda Pilot.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
This is what I mean by "Shock-Loading" your unibody. If the strap doesn't break....the attatchment point might. A winch uses "Applied-Loading" to move mass, hence a lot safer and less violent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8UMsv7cY8c

Don't be this guy.

Most modern vehicle do not have recovery points. Those slots and small loops you see under the car are securement/tie-down points for the vehicle during transport....Period. They are not intended for recovery. Ask any mfg.

Like I said....you can be helpful with getting people unstuck, but use good judgment and common sense. Pulling a car off an icy spot in a parking lot or driveway is ALOT different than pulling vehicles from the mud or out of ditches.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The Honda Pilot is a great SUV, add the real time AWD and it makes a great ranch/dirt road vehicle. They are built on a modified Accord platform. For any kind of pulling or towing, get a tow bar/receiver hitch. Honda designed the Pilot (and Ridgeline) to tow smaller travel trailers, utility trailers, and boats. If you have AWD, and a receiver hitch, you will be ok with a tow strap every now and then. I pulled my 4300lb Pontiac Bonneville with my 4400lb GVW 2009 Mercury Mariner FWD 4 cylinder, and did just fine. My Merc has a towing rating of 1500lbs, the FWD Pilot is 200lbs, the AWD Pilot is 4500lbs.

There are push bumpers and brush guards for Pilots, and you can put a winch on one.

Off topic....

With the exception of a Grand Cherokee, I'd run a AWD Pilot against a unibody Jeep any day. Trail rated is just a stick on badge! :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
dmathieu said:
What if you wreck your vehicle AND their vehicle!?

Liability is always a can of worms. 20 years ago...if you stopped to help someone out and something minor went wrong (scratched something or damaged something in the process) most folks wouldn't make any issue out of it and still be thankful that you stopped and tried to help them out of your good nature. Fast forward to today.....everyone has a lawyer and wants a million bucks. Not worth the risk anymore.

I have to carry a stack of damage waivers for my customers because of people with tow straps that tried to help them before I got called to come out.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
NPS Ranger said:
Once you rate her tail, where do you stick on the badge?

Yeah I know it's sexist, he started it.

I've been known to give a nice pearl necklace as a badge of honor for a good tail.

:yes:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Automotive journalist pulls UPS truck in snow with a Subaru hybrid and tow strap.

Yahoo!

:thumbsup:

So there you go OP, get a decent tow strap, and a trailer hitch, and you are set. Anymore questions?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
HILO said:
Automotive journalist pulls UPS truck in snow with a Subaru hybrid and tow strap.

Yahoo!

:thumbsup:

So there you go OP, get a decent tow strap, and a trailer hitch, and you are set. Anymore questions?

That guy is a flipping idiot- he was using the RECOVERY BOLT, not a trailer hitch... Oh I won't even continue now...

Oh and it would of went allot smoother if he had a decent set of rubber on that... thing.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
I love the part when he hooks the grab-hook to the edge of the bumper on that P-700 UPS truck LOL. Makes me wonder how he "Hooked-up" the other cars.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Another unibody pulling a heavier car....

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
If you do not know the Working Load Limit's of your gear and attatchment points....as well as how to calculate resistance properly, you have no business pulling on anything. Period.

No different than installing emergency lighting. If you don't know how to calculate the amps, you have no business installing anything electrical. Period.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
wrecker44 said:
.....Another Unibody strap job :)

Where is the unibody? I see a frame on F150 not doing a good job pulling a frame on Jeep Cherokee.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Look I'm as big of fan as there is of pulling stuff out of the mud but, I use my F250 and I won't pull much of anything that's not another truck, for fear of causing more damage. All it takes is hooking a chain around something you aren't supposed to and your vehicle will wind up like that Jeep. Or worse you hook to someone else's car wrong and that guy you were just helping will want you to buy him a car.

They make these for a reason. Use your head and know when to call one

international wrecker.jpg

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Alot of problems too is people snatched with ropes and chains that have no give. That's where ropes like bubbarope and snatchrope come into play they stretch instead of sending a shock to both vehicles.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
HILO said:
Where is the unibody? I see a frame on F150 not doing a good job pulling a frame on Jeep Cherokee.

That's a diesel engine pick-up pulling on that Jeep. No F-150 was ever offered in a diesel, so I'm assuming that's at least an F250/F350. All jeep Cherokees after 1984 (post-wagoneer) are unibody construction. No frame under there boss. I do agree that they where doing a horrible job though.....lol.

Like I said before, people do this sort of thing all the time. Sometimes It works, sometimes it doesn't. Use common sense and understand the risks and dangers involved. I'm all for people helping each other out, so do what you are comfortable with. If you get in over your head....call a professional before getting hurt or doing $5000 worth of damage to a vehicle. People get killed and maimed often by airborne hitch-balls, winch-cables, and broken chains. Just be careful folks.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I tow a ton with my Chevy 2500 dmax, I don't recover anyone other than my dad's truck at the farm. No liability that way.

I must be the only one to drive past a pi unless it's mass pandemonium, fires and people in ditches. If its not my call or I'm not in a marked vic I just keep on keeping on

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.