Training guide?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Does anyone have a good training guide I can model for our FD? The area FD's call them "Probie Packets," which show what you know and what you need to improve upon. I can PM you my email address if you want to send me your packets.

Reason I am asking is because our FD does not have one, and its starting to piss me off some. Every time I go there, nobody, officers included, know what I know and some feel the need to just start over. I have been there for nearly a year (come November) Some don't even know I am authorized to drive apparatus with the crew. Within my year, (9 months so far), so far I have volunteered 328.83 hours (weekly training meetings or responding to station for runs not included since those are logged differently), or an average of 36.5 hours per month of my own time. I posed a question to the Chief recently about me responding a truck (like our grassfighter, nothing fancy) to assist for manpower and if need be, cancel me enroute and I will return to quarters. I was told I need to be "checked off" on our 15 pieces of apparatus before I could respond alone. I was kinda blown away since I have been driving for a while (except for 3 of those trucks, 2 engines and a tanker which nobody is showing me how or letting me drive). So for all the hours I have put in, only a handful of people have formally shown me anything about the trucks. Just seems like I am just expected to just be out in the bays at all times and do chores because I am probationary while everyone else sits in the day room and hop on a truck when the tones drop when I am on station. I dont mind doing the probie stuff but I feel that I should be further ahead of where I am by now but most people dont want to take the time and if they did, how can they prove it?? I am just getting discouraged. I think they are trying to make an engineer out of everyone. I can tell you that some guys who have been there for years still couldnt operate the pumps. Sorry for the rant and thanks for the help.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
"For most problems the Marine is issued a solution. If ill, go to sickbay. If wounded, call a Corpsman. If dead, report to graves registration. If losing his mind, however, no standard solution exists."

"they have the internet on computers now...."

http://tkolb.net/TempPosting/2014Temp/ProbieManuals.html

Reactions: FireEMSPolice

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I don't have a probie book to share, but I can definitely comiserate. I think the lack of solid and meaningful orientation/training plans is one of the biggest issues for volunteer retention facing fire departments across the country.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.