trauma shears alternative? TRECK from Talon Rescue

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Anybody used these yet? Saw them on facebook a week or so ago. I've had the same pair of shears for almost 2 years (gotta love inter-facility work) so I don't need them, but my brothers is interested. He mentioned that he killed a new pair of shears on one patient after cutting through winter clothing, zippers, wire-reinforced bra, etc. Couldn't even cut a hospital wristband after that call.

I'm going to pick up one or two of these at JEMS' EMS Today convention in Baltimore next weekend, just wondering if anybody else has used them. Looks like a cool product, safety tip so you can use it quickly without injuring the patient, serrated edge for a fast cut, etc.

link for info: http://talonrescue.com/

whatevah said:
Anybody used these yet? Saw them on facebook a week or so ago. I've had the same pair of shears for almost 2 years (gotta love inter-facility work) so I don't need them, but my brothers is interested. He mentioned that he killed a new pair of shears on one patient after cutting through winter clothing, zippers, wire-reinforced bra, etc. Couldn't even cut a hospital wristband after that call.

I'm going to pick up one or two of these at JEMS' EMS Today convention in Baltimore next weekend, just wondering if anybody else has used them. Looks like a cool product, safety tip so you can use it quickly without injuring the patient, serrated edge for a fast cut, etc.

link for info: http://talonrescue.com/

Looks interesting..... FYI I have had the same pair of $4 trauma shears for the last 3 years and use them all the time. I have cut zippers, heavy coats etc w/o any damage or loss of usability.

When you buy yours let me know...I did a number on my shears cutting through a work boot a few weeks ago. Using my backup set currently. If you can get a work boot in there (don't actually cut it, just see if it fits into the gap for the blade) i might want to purchase a set for myself.

Can you swap the razor blades out yourself or are you required to buy another after it stops working so well? Depending on how long the blades last I might stick to shears anyway... it seems better to just stick to buying 3 sets of shears at ~$12 instead of just one of those. Besides, shears are easy to carry in pants, that looks big enough to be uncomfortable... In theory this thing looks good, just not so much practically...just tossing ideas out there.

They are intended to be disposable, so you toss them after the blade dulls. I'm sure they'll be cheaper in bulk and once the retailers start carrying them. The specs say 1/2" wide, so double the thickness of the usual shears? Overall dimensions appx. 8” x 2.5” x 1/2” Given that, I think you could get them into work boots.

I'll ask at the expo what they expected the blade life to be. A replaceable blade would be a nice option, but I don't know anywhere to buy a serrated razor blade.

It looks like an Oversized Seatbelt cutter.. i use my 2$ shears and my 1.00 seatbelt cutter every shift.. i can run my seatbelt cuter through 3 normal t-shirts without a problem...

I dont know, that doesnt even look like id want to use it. The userability of shears is great because theyre just tough scissors, like it was said above that looks like a seatbelt cutter. At least with shears you get the ability to reintroduce force as you scissor through stuff apposed to having to just grab and tug on a "heavy duty" seatbelt cutter. Let me know how they work tho it might not be a bad thing to carry in my bunker gear seeing how its hard to use shears with a firefighting glove on.

Does'nt look very appealing to me. I got my first pair of shears last January and started cutting pennies to see if it would do it and it did, but it definantly messes them up. Either way, I'll stick with trauma shears. Oh, and how are you supposed to carry those things? Hope they come with a holster or something cause that would be uncomfortable in your pocket all day!

Caleb

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Does'nt look very appealing to me. I got my first pair of shears last January and started cutting pennies to see if it would do it and it did, but it definantly messes them up. Either way, I'll stick with trauma shears. Oh, and how are you supposed to carry those things? Hope they come with a holster or something cause that would be uncomfortable in your pocket all day!
Caleb

not that bad at all. im full time and carry them all day, you forget they are on you. and you can get a holster but i dont use one.

for those interested... they put up 2 videos clips on youtube today. http://www.youtube.com/user/TalonRescue one tells you how they recommend using it, and the other is a demo of them cutting from head to toe through a light jacket, sweatshirt, tshirt and jeans (one leg) in 16 seconds.

whatevah said:
for those interested... they put up 2 videos clips on youtube today. http://www.youtube.com/user/TalonRescue one tells you how they recommend using it, and the other is a demo of them cutting from head to toe through a light jacket, sweatshirt, tshirt and jeans (one leg) in 16 seconds.

That ain't too bad. But like it said in the video, you need to practice before you use it. How many people do you know that are gonna let you cut through their clothes? It still looks good though, but would use some practice to get used to it, IMO.

Caleb

everybody has some old clothes that they haven't worn in 5 years for one reason or another. I just took 3 large bags to a local goodwill-type place full of stuff. Gonna use some of the stuff I haven't bagged up yet to practice on. :)

I stopped by their booth at the JEMS EMS Today expo yesterday and picked up one. My brother bought 3 and my friend bought 2 (they both do EMS in the city here). Saw the guy demonstrate the starter cut and quickly slice through a jean pant leg. Very cool. He'd been doing it for 3 days.

whatevah said:
everybody has some old clothes that they haven't worn in 5 years for one reason or another. I just took 3 large bags to a local goodwill-type place full of stuff. Gonna use some of the stuff I haven't bagged up yet to practice on. :)

I stopped by their booth at the JEMS EMS Today expo yesterday and picked up one. My brother bought 3 and my friend bought 2 (they both do EMS in the city here). Saw the guy demonstrate the starter cut and quickly slice through a jean pant leg. Very cool. He'd been doing it for 3 days.

Hmmm:undecided: I did'nt think about using old clothes. Not to bad. How was the expo? Never been to one, although I have'nt been in the business long either.

nice concept ,but it is about the same thing as the gerber ez-zip,at least with the gerber the blade is field replaceable and it comes with a holster

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Hmmm:undecided: I did'nt think about using old clothes. Not to bad. How was the expo? Never been to one, although I have'nt been in the business long either.
the expo portion was just a big exhibit hall packed with EMS vendors. Ambulance companies showing off some of their latest builds, training companies, gadget companies, etc. The bigger exhibits were from Styker and Zoll (who had a cool CPR test setup). At the Phillips booth they had a free class around every hour for CEU credit. They also had classes and stuff going up upstairs that you had to register (and pay) for. www.emstoday.com

TCO, I just looked at the Gerber cutter, pretty neat but doesn't have a serrated blade so it won't cut as well. Also looks like you could jab the edge into a patients skin.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381