Triple K EMS Standards

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Link didn't work for me. Here is what I think you're referring to:Block Island Rescue 2 2023.jpg
And yes, definitely is interesting with the interior lightbar and no lightbar

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The KKK spec never called for a lightbar. However, I'm not sure that windshield-mounted warning lights meet the current spec for upper-level warning devices:

3.8.2.2.1 Upper-Level Optical Warning Devices.
The upper-level optical warning devices shall be mounted as high as practicable, but not
over 102 in , at the optical center.
To define the clearance lines of the ambulance, the optical center of the upper-level
optical warning devices shall be mounted as high and as close to the corner points of the
ambulance as is practicable.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Is triple K required or only recommended for ambulances?
At least in MA they are required. I've had an ambulance inspector take a tape measure to the 110v outlet to check that it's far enough away from the O2 regulator.

ELECTRICAL 115 VOLT AC RECEPTACLES.​
The patient compartment shall be furnished with a pair of 2 wire plus ground duplex 115 volt AC receptacles. Receptacles shall be near flush, vertically mounted. One outlet shall be located on the primary patient action wall and the other shall located in the right front cabinet / storage area. Both outlets shall be at least 31 cm (12 in.) from any oxygen outlet.​

Last edited:
Reactions: cabunty and LED

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
In 1989 I spec'd out our next ambulance (NYS). At that time our ambulance dealer (also NYS) allowed me to configure the lighting as I wanted telling me it wasn't necessary to conform with KKK.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
IIRC after the 1966 "EMS White Paper" was published the government passed the EMS Act of 1973 which included grants for vehicles and equipment. The KKK standards were established to set requirements for ambulances purchased under those grants.

It's not surprising some states would take a standard like that and make it mandatory even for vehicles that weren't purchase under the program that they were created for.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Is triple K required or only recommended for ambulances?
It is not required. It was set up for federal funding...so people couldn't get money for an ambulance and buy a fire truck.

That being said, as above, many states then decided it is required in their state as there were few standards. As Zoe said above, I lived one state south of MA in CT and the woman who used to do inspections was an ABSOLUTE tool about it. Her big issue was the lights. She actually made places move the mounting location on a mod if they wanted more than one amber in the rear. She said they could not be in line with the red high-mounted box lights. Silly nonsense like that was her calling card and everyone dreaded inspections. Another thing was if you didn't have a waiver for the stripe to be anything but Omaha Orange, you failed. etc... It's not like this anymore though I don't think as she is gone...and we have some crazy configurations now throughout the state...

She was the worst...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.