Trippe Light (pre beacon era?) 1940's-1950's

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Anyone know anything more specific about these? I do know they were later offered (around 1953) with an all red plastic lense top cover, allowing the light to radiate 360 degrees. I suspect this could be the earlier version, since it has the solid metal chrome top. It is 6 volt and it operates with a parabolic reflector that moves around a pretty powerful 6 volt bulb (50-100 CP). I will get more internal pics. Motor and shaft are very unique in design and the way it operates. From an early ad copy it appears they didnt have a model# assigned. Im guessing pre beacon era for sure. They are very large, about 13" long and about 6" high in the front. 100_5551.JPG

I also know this same design and style was offered in a clear lense spot light version. Mounted on the roof the beam could be adjusted from inside the car.

The version you have has the motor toward the rear of the unit with a speedometer cable with the worm gear on the end, running forward to the rotator gear. This kept it's height lower to put the motor and such behind the rotator. I don't think the transparent top units offered a helluva lotta light to the rear with all that crap behind the rotator, INHO. I mean something, but I can't say much...

I agree, performance wise in either version would of been a joke compared to the later beacons that came out. But still a very unique early style light. Im sure these were out before anyone thought much about how "non effective" they would be compared to the later stuff. Back in the day these were probably considered state of art and much better then nothing.

It's a cool light that's a nice addition to any collection. It comes from the era when emergency lights were not very advanced, cars had fins, and streamlined was the latest thing. :)

Reactions: StEaLtH2
It's a cool light that's a nice addition to any collection. It comes from the era when emergency lights were not very advanced, cars had fins, and streamlined was the latest thing. :)

Absolutely! This light is art deco at its best, and stylish as hell! A great piece!

Frankly, lens with an e on the end (lense) bugs me, just like then instead of than and a space between a word and an exclamation point, but two of the three have some acceptance in usage. Nonetheless, the substance of the post is what I'm interested in. So, these lights are really cool, whether the lens is just at the front or if the whole top is a lense!

Just my take. lol

I've never seen one of these in person or a video of one in operation. Does the reflector oscillate back and forth in a wide arc to provide side to side lighting, just wobble about a bit to draw attention mostly in one direction or rotate a full 360?

IMG_0264.JPG
The same components were used to create a roof-mount spot light...this on a 1946 Diamond T prototype station wagon.

I remember the rotators used on the corners of a roof on an old ambulance in rural KY, with a 175 in the middle of the roof....

Here's a couple of videos I've found on YouTube with these beacons. I also threw in one vid of the High Ball beacon that replaced this one later on for comparison of the two.

High Ball from Tsquale's collection

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmoyer1