Trying to 3D print a new Aero gear! Help

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
So I pick up this Boston and Main (B&M) RR Police Aero from a guy in CT. Great condition internally minus a portion of the motor gear being stripped (figures). Anyone know the trick to get the pin out?

I am going to try to 3D print a new gear. But I can’t do it until I remove old one and don’t want to damage it for measuring purposes
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0FD82672-C738-401C-BE65-E7FAFF687C39.jpeg
    0FD82672-C738-401C-BE65-E7FAFF687C39.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BBA5C4A2-68C8-4C60-8A99-D2D69E566B39.jpeg
    BBA5C4A2-68C8-4C60-8A99-D2D69E566B39.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 17
Jun 18, 2013
PA
as @ex416 mentioned you will need to use a punch to remove the roll pin.
I personally have tried 3D printing the "clutch" gear as this is called and have had mixed results. There is a member on here who sells reproductions gears if you need them. @ryan

Wear on this gear is accelerated usually due to binding or insufficient grease on the rotators and idler gears on theses bars. I would recommend going over each post and making sure they all spin freely and grease as appropriate.

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
Correct about using the punch, but are you interested in buying one if I find one in my parts?

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
Do you want to just swap assemblies - remove yours, install this? $45 + shipping and send your old one to me. Please email your zip code for shipping cost to jackramz@att.net. Thanks.

gear assembly.jpg

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
Do you want to just swap assemblies - remove yours, install this? $45 + shipping and send your old one to me. Please email your zip code for shipping cost to jackramz@att.net. Thanks.

View attachment 226775

Thank you for the offer but I just need the gear. I finally removed the old one and there are new ones for sale on eBay for $50.

It’s just hard to justify paying that much for a little plastic gear that I may be able to 3D print. If anyone is selling the gear by itself at a reasonable price, I am certainly open to that, otherwise I am going to try to print ones and if that fails I guess I will just buy a new one off eBay. :-/

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Im the seller of the gears on ebay. If you purchased one this week it ships out tomorrow.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
If it is being shipped via the postal service, plan on a very long wait. USPS is moving packages at a pace that makes snails look like speed demons.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
If it is being shipped via the postal service, plan on a very long wait. USPS is moving packages at a pace that makes snails look like speed demons.
It is Christmas so they might be a little bit busier, lol. I have seen some pretty big delays in sending and receiving this holiday season. One thing out of the norm is that tracking is hit or miss, like they forget to update the system. Have had 3 that went from two states away to the mailbox in the same day. I get sitting waiting for sorting so it's not updating but tracking is off a lot too.

It is not uncommon for 2 day Priority mail to take a week rite now (and longer with First Class).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.