Trying to find a certian dash light, need help with maker and name

Status
Not open for further replies.

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I am looking for a certian dash light. I remember it from the mid to late 80's, but cant remember who made it or what it was called. I would like to find one, but this may be a long shot.

It looked like a Whelen Hot Shot II, and if I remember it was called a Vortex strobe. It had a round strobe tube mounted on a funnel shaped reflector under the dome. I remember seeing it in a Galls catalog (I think), but I dont know if it was a Galls branded item or a 'name brand'. I havent found anything on the 'net about it yet, hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out!

cook2890 said:
I am looking for a certian dash light. I remember it from the mid to late 80's, but cant remember who made it or what it was called. I would like to find one, but this may be a long shot.

It looked like a Whelen Hot Shot II, and if I remember it was called a Vortex strobe. It had a round strobe tube mounted on a funnel shaped reflector under the dome. I remember seeing it in a Galls catalog (I think), but I dont know if it was a Galls branded item or a 'name brand'. I havent found anything on the 'net about it yet, hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out!

I think that was an SVP light (a strobe lamp in the hotshot housing, also I think SVP made the Hotshot because they were always having heating issues with the halogen bulbs, something about the porcilen holder falling apart). I seem to remember them, but I do not think there were very popular.

Yes it's called a Vortex. It was made SVP back when they were Southern Vehicle Products. It used the same base and dome as the Hot Shot. I never got to see one in real life. So, if you find more then one, let me know. I always wanted one, even if it's only for my collection.

This site claims to still have them for sale. Although this site doesn't look like it's been updated in a LONG time!

http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/p/lps01/svppri.htm

So does this one:

http://www.rinto.com/southern/strobes.htm

If they do, and you are able to buy one, let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Newberry13 said:
Yes it's called a Vortex. It was made SVP back when they were Southern Vehicle Products. It used the same base and dome as the Hot Shot. I never got to see one in real life. So, if you find more then one, let me know. I always wanted one, even if it's only for my collection.

This site claims to still have them for sale. Although this site doesn't look like it's been updated in a LONG time!

http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/p/lps01/svppri.htm

So does this one:

http://www.rinto.com/southern/strobes.htm

If they do, and you are able to buy one, let me know!

I just talked with Bob @ www.rinto.com, they have not made that light in 10+ years. Something about too many problems with both models, the Hotshot I and Vortex. They were Southern Vehical Supply, they are now Star Vehical Supply, or simply Star Headlight

I'v known Bob for along time too. Helped him build his house here.

I thought at one time SVP merged with Star Headlight. I clearly remember when they shut down the factory here in Clearwater about 12-13 years ago. I believe that is when they discontinued most of their products.

I called it SVS...wrong, they are still SVP but called Signal Vehical Products not Southern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, SVP is now owned by Star Headlight. They're based in Avon, NY now.

Thanks guys! I would love to find one for the collection, and have started 'beating the bushes' here locally to try to find one. I thought Vortex was the name, but couldnt remember the maker. If I find ANY I will let everyone know!

I used to work with a man that was a SVP dealer, but he passed away a few years ago and his family has none of that stuff left. I got a large batch of stuff from him one time, and still have a bunch of the SVP rotators, reflectors, etc... Stuff was very cheap and had lots of problems, but he wouldnt use anything but SVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381