Trying to find info on my 4 head dashmiser from factory

fdbuff21

Apr 12, 2024
New york
ok so I have a 4 head dashmiser with 2 strobe 2 halogen heads it was removed from a chiefs truck. I basically wanna know if it's rare is there a market for it and maybe some history or info. It needs an external strobe pack and halogen flasher. I posted a video on YouTube but got no answers yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411-170803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411-170803_Gallery.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 13

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I am no expert but I will say that was a custom order. So fairly rare. Price point, I couldn’t tell you for sure what market value would be. But my gut would be $125-175 as a starting point. It sure what it has for mounts and overall condition. I would think that if it had internal strobe power supply and an internal halogen flasher (it’s big enough to hold both) that it would fetch a higher amount.
Let’s see what others have to say about it.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Personally, I think it is more likely that this was an end user customization. Does it have a label on it anywhere? That would help determine if it was. If not, lets see the wiring for it. If it is an end user made item, value is only what someone will pay for it. If it has a Whelen label indicating it is from the factory I would agree with firebuff, but again I am skeptical.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
These showed up on a lot of Odyssey command vehicle push bumpers from that era. Odyssey is an East Coast company and seller is from NY.

Unknown to me whether Odyssey did the customization or had Whelen make it. My bet is they commissioned Whelen to make them as they went on a fair amount of their vehicle installs.

The below is the lin6 era version.

Seth

Attachments

• IMG_5247.jpeg
    IMG_5247.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 15

fdbuff21

Apr 12, 2024
New york
Just for a little bit more information no this was not and end user customization this was most definitely from the factory like this it was taken off of a chief vehicle it was mounted in the grill it is powered by an external strobe Supply and an external halogen flasher it does have room for internal ones but I don't think it was built for that it does have a sticker on it but being that it was mounted externally on a vehicle it's basically worn off all the useful information

These showed up on a lot of Odyssey command vehicle push bumpers from that era. Odyssey is an East Coast company and seller is from NY.

Unknown to me whether Odyssey did the customization or had Whelen make it. My bet is they commissioned Whelen to make them as they went on a fair amount of their vehicle installs.

The below is the lin6 era version.

Seth
I believe you are correct because this was definitely from the factory as it has the whale and sticker on it but because it was bumper-mounted it is extremely worn and can't read anything on it

Personally, I think it is more likely that this was an end user customization. Does it have a label on it anywhere? That would help determine if it was. If not, lets see the wiring for it. If it is an end user made item, value is only what someone will pay for it. If it has a Whelen label indicating it is from the factory I would agree with firebuff, but again I am skeptical.

Yes it does have a label but it's extremely worn as it was mounted in the grill so between time and weather there is nothing to read but you can tell that there was the wheel and sticker there I will try to post more pictures of the wiring and everything and you can tell it was not made by somebody as the cuts on the metal are extremely clean

fdbuff21

Apr 12, 2024
New york
ok so I have a 4 head dashmiser with 2 strobe 2 halogen heads it was removed from a chiefs truck. I basically wanna know if it's rare is there a market for it and maybe some history or info. It needs an external strobe pack and halogen flasher. I posted a video on YouTube but got no answers yet.

Here's a few more photos I forgot to also tell you guys the housing is metal it's not plastic the side pieces aren't in the best of condition but I have replacements for them so I'm not worried about that as you can see it's got a wire for a strobe pack and wires for the halogen lights and you can see where the stickers were but from being mounted where they were they're pretty much worn away there's nothing left

Attachments

• 20240414_192219.jpg
    20240414_192219.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240414_192224.jpg
    20240414_192224.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240414_192227.jpg
    20240414_192227.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240414_192235.jpg
    20240414_192235.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240414_192240.jpg
    20240414_192240.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240414_192252.jpg
    20240414_192252.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240414_192256.jpg
    20240414_192256.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240414_192308.jpg
    20240414_192308.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I'm still going to argue that this was not factory and was done (nicely) by the upfitter. Looks like they cut one of these in half... Your photos clearly show one of the original cable holes next to the endcap. The hole your wires are coming out of does not appear original.

1713145752179.png

fdbuff21

Apr 12, 2024
New york
I'm still going to argue that this was not factory and was done (nicely) by the upfitter. Looks like they cut one of these in half... Your photos clearly show one of the original cable holes next to the endcap. The hole your wires are coming out of does not appear original.

View attachment 250704
The holes on the end caps are where they are broken I haven't put new end caps on yet the only main hole is the one that is in the center of the light and I believe you may be correct when I say original I mean if it's not from Whelen it was done by an upfitter I just mean it wasn't done by some Joe Schmo in his garage with a hacksaw thats what I mean when I say from the factory but I appreciate all your help and insight. I think its an awesome piece you don't see too many of.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Just for point of reference guys get your old Whelen catalogs out you'll find they made the dash miser 2 dash miser 3 and a dash miser 4.
The standard dash miser came in halogen or strobe for reference the TV series Nash Bridges if you forget what it looks like, The dash miser 3 came as halogen or strobe and the center was a steady takedown light, The dash miser 4 was halogen or strobe the two center lights alternated in halogen or steady burn as a takedown. If I can find my catalog that shows these old lights I'll try and take a picture of it and show it to you and yes they used to be internal lights not external that's the only thing that I can figure has been changed because they used to sit on the dash using the suction cups and it was kind of bulky up front but I can tell you I still have my dash miser too sitting in my crown Vic right now.

Attachments

• IMG20240415144929.jpg
    IMG20240415144929.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 3

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Just for point of reference guys get your old Whelen catalogs out you'll find they made the dash miser 2 dash miser 3 and a dash miser 4.
The standard dash miser came in halogen or strobe for reference the TV series Nash Bridges if you forget what it looks like, The dash miser 3 came as halogen or strobe and the center was a steady takedown light, The dash miser 4 was halogen or strobe the two center lights alternated in halogen or steady burn as a takedown. If I can find my catalog that shows these old lights I'll try and take a picture of it and show it to you and yes they used to be internal lights not external that's the only thing that I can figure has been changed because they used to sit on the dash using the suction cups and it was kind of bulky up front but I can tell you I still have my dash miser too sitting in my crown Vic right now.
Weren't the DM's plastic housings, as compared to the metal ones like the TA836's, since they were meant to be mounted inside?

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I don't believe they were all entirely plastic I know mine are but I think the bigger ones were cut from metal because too much heat would cause them to warp a bit I believe they were made of the same stuff that TA-836 is at 3 and 4 lights in the housing but as I said when I find the Whelen catalog that they're in I'll be able to better comment.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
17137332368128820356569419872340.jpg
I'm going to rescind my previous statement because I believe unless I find another catalog that you're dash miser plus four doesn't exist It may have been a cut up traffic director that's why it has no internal power supply but as I said I will keep looking This is the catalog from 2000 the catalog is blue 1000 I also have the pricing for that from the dealer pricing number PL01.1WL which I believe may be the wholesale cost originally the DMP3 dual linear strobe lamp comet flash with steady center snap in halogen went for $362. But as I said I'll keep looking.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.