Turn of siren when engine off

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
I just switched from a HHS to a Smart siren. I used to keep both connected to power all the time so I can have lights on when engine off but I think SS2000 is draining my battery. What's the easiest way to make SS turn off when engine off? I have a 2009 Corolla. Any suggestions would be nice.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
You can put a relay or solenoid in the main power wire & have that switched on by a small wire going to anything requiring the key to be turned or to a fuse such as the radio fuse.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
The easiest would be to put a switch somewhere between the siren and the power source that way you can turn the switch on for when you need to use the siren, if you do this it will also prevent you from accidentally turning it on or anything else if you hit one of the buttons.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I am surprised the HHS is draining your battery. I will leave my Mobile Radio, Scanner and my HHS on and still wouldn't drain my battery. Wake up in the morning and the batter will have 11.7 left on the battery.

iceman4122

May 25, 2010
New York
HHS didn't drain it. Worked perfectly. I switched to a Smart Siren. I started to unplug the control head when not using car for long periods of time but still didn't help. I thought they both used same amps when on standby. Is it my battery maybe?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Gotcha, I missed the smart siren part. I also did the same move, I switched from a HHS to a smart siren and still no problems. It might be a battery issue. Just unplugging the remote head doesn't shut off the siren, it is still in standby mode. The only way to really shut it off is to add a relay like others mentioned. Fairly easy if you know what you are doing.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
The red wire on the SS2000 connector needs to be hooked to a switch. I hooked mine to the battery, fused and ran the switch around the floorboard area so it is somewhat hidden when I have my truck serviced and joe mechanic wants to see what the switch panel does.

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
I put a 3 way switch, SPDT

Up is hot for the few times I want the lights to run with the engine off,

Center is off (when I have passengers with sticky fingers who like to touch everything),

Down is ignition what I have it set to most of the time.

The small red wire in the 12 pin connector (#6) has to be ignitioned because the Siren Amp has a constant draw and will drain your battery in 24 - 48 hours or less sometimes.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
rescue52 said:
I put a 3 way switch, SPDT
Up is hot for the few times I want the lights to run with the engine off,

Center is off (when I have passengers with sticky fingers who like to touch everything),

Down is ignition what I have it set to most of the time.

The small red wire in the 12 pin connector (#6) has to be ignitioned because the Siren Amp has a constant draw and will drain your battery in 24 - 48 hours or less sometimes.

Agreed. That's how I had mine when I had one in the Yukon. It's also how I installed the SS in my bro's Exploder.

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
I have a picture on my home computer I'll post it later

May 22, 2010
New York City
i noticed, after a year or so, every ss2000 i had would kill a battery.... every time i got a new vehicle, i would install a new ss2000 and same thing, 1 year later...boom dead battery.. now im going with a hhs2200 !!!

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
Here is a diagram

Sorry about the size click on picture to enlarge

Switch.png[/attachment:188pc9af]

Switch.png

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Smart Sirens aren't designed to drain the battery. What else have you got connected to your electrical system and how healthy is your battery as well as your connections?

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
EVModules said:
Smart Sirens aren't designed to drain the battery. What else have you got connected to your electrical system and how healthy is your battery as well as your connections?

The brain stays on at 0.050 amp putting your car over the 1 miliamp and will drain your battery.

The manual clearly says you have to ignition the #6 red wire in the 12 pin connector

The brain has a built in relay from that wire and pull power from the 10g main hot source.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I should say, unnecessary drain. 0.2 amps combined is usually the threshold to keep certain components "awake".

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
I agree with the others whom are dubious about the siren being the cause of the battery drain. It is not usually a common problem when the siren is not in use.

However, to comment on the various switching schemes that were discussed, I actually have 4 different key operated switches wired into my console so that I can actually take the keys out and prevent people from turning on the master switches. One switch controls my lighting control boxes, another switch controls the siren, another switch controls my radios/scanner while the last switch is currently unused. On each switch there are 3 positions, off, on with accessory power and on constant. This allows me much the same functionality that can be had from the person talking about the double throw switch while adding that extra feature of being able to remove the keys and electrically lock out all of your equipment. Very handy if you ever have to bring your car to a shop or god-forbid loan it to a friend.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I had a healthy, brand new battery in my 07 explorer and the SS2000 was killing my factory battery until I put a switch on it. I didnt feel like messing with the fuse box or ignition wires to do it that way so I just did a switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.