Twinsonic CTS valuation?

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
IMG_9021.jpg IMG_9020.jpg IMG_9019.jpg Ive been looking for market value on the Twinsonic CTS and can't seem to find any current values outside of eBay auctions.

I'm looking at a lightbar and believe it's a good deal but I wanted to educate myself more before pulling the trigger on it. What is the going rate for these now?; low and high? Average? It's a CTS1 series A3. The amber insert has a crack running down the middle of it.

If I end up with it my intention would be to make it a red/blue bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: southpaw
Jun 18, 2013
PA
How does the interior look?
Does the bar work 100%?

Minus the crack the rest of it can be cleaned up with some TLC..
I'm not a CTS pricing expert.. say $200?

Reactions: southpaw and H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
It's fully functional, can't say for certain about how clean it is inside.

From what I could find I've seen pricing between ranging from $150 for those lucky finds to prices exceeding $500 for cleaned up originals... and the MCSO for even more.

A twinsonic is really iconic and a bar I'd like to have in the collection, just needs to be affordable

Jun 18, 2013
PA
It's fully functional, can't say for certain about how clean it is inside.

From what I could find I've seen pricing between ranging from $150 for those lucky finds to prices exceeding $500 for cleaned up originals... and the MCSO for even more.

A twinsonic is really iconic and a bar I'd like to have in the collection, just needs to be affordable

I can't see this light pulling in anywhere near $500.
I'd probably shoot low and see where it takes you from there...

just my .02

Rob

Reactions: H20 and southpaw

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Well I made the trip this morning and brought this CTS home. It's all there and complete/original. I think I paid a little more than I should have considering the condition of the domes, but it is what it is. The domes aren't quite as nice as I had expected and hoped for but, it's a starting point. The cut-out dome is solid expect for a small crack in the amber insert where the bulb is touching it. I'm not sure why that's happening; it looks like the mount is correct and the bulb is where it should be in the mount, I'll know better once I get the dome off.

The other dome has a couple cracks along the outer corners which the seller didn't disclose. Unfortunately he didn't show up for the sale, his wife did; so I didn't feel like putting her on the spot to negotiate it as she had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, I powered it up and everything works; the rotators need to be timed as they're not quite in sync and the amber bulb stays solid when powered; I'm not sure if it's been messed with and the flasher was removed.

I won't have time to take it apart and look at it's guts until vacation next week. But it looks like solid restoration project.

I'm going to try wet sanding to see how clear I can get the domes.

What are you guys seeing solid used domes selling for? Non-CTS domes, red, blue?

Attachments

• IMG_9108.JPG
    IMG_9108.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9108.JPG
    IMG_9108.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Then you did very well. It's possible the wrong bulb might be installed in the rear par holder. The correct rear bulb is a GE 4478. The front is a 4001.

That would make sense; curious what bulb it is now.

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
I feel better now about what I paid; initially I was second guessing my decision to pay asking price after I saw the cracked dome... I'm entering new territory with the Twinsonic being my first old bar, thanks for the encouragement, I'm excited to get it cleaned up and restored.

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Take photos as you take it apart so you understand how they got back together when the time comes. Especially the slightly unique wiring for the CTS.. Plus we like to see them!! Good job and best of luck on your restoration!!

Reactions: Maxim2Eng and H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
IMG_9150.JPG IMG_9151.JPG image.jpg IMG_9152.JPG Ok CTS guys, I started looking into this deeper and I have a question about factory wiring. Is the forward facing steady burn supposed to come on with the rotators? The rear flasher on mine has its own circuit/wire but the forward facing bulb comes on with the rotators, for some reason I was under the impression the rotators, forward red, and amber flashed were all wired separately??

The rear bulb is a 4478, so that appears to be correct... I still don't know why it was touching the amber insert, which has cracked from the heat.

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Properly, First position, flashing amber only, second position, flashing amber and steady red, position three all rotators, flashing amber, steady red. Most CA agencies set them up in this fashion.

Reactions: H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Does this look normal for spacing against the dome?? Everything inside appears to be correct and tight, the bulb is tight against the mount. But it's still really close, not like the front bulb which has a lot of room.

IMG_9157.JPG IMG_9154.JPG IMG_9155.JPG

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
It is hard to tell from the pictures but the spacing looks right, at least compared to the bars I have. The cracking or scratching on the amber section was common. As emergency vehicles bounced down the roads, Twinsonic bar internals would routinely rub or bang against the inside of the lenses. Many Twinsonic 12x lenses have scratches on the inside rear from the X mirrors chafing against them.

The photo below is from one of my CTS bars. Note the crack on the amber section.

IMG_8625.JPG

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Yes!
Here is a picture of the terminal block from my CTS
View attachment 209608
Yes and no.. In California, the steady red would light be set up to light by itself ( with the rear amber flashing) AND with the rotators on, (also with the rear amber flashing) In the TwinSonic days when i worked, we used a Unitro 800 for lights and siren, hence the #1, #2 and #3 positions for light controls... Hope this makes sense...

Reactions: H20 and denko3

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
The power red also has the rotator power wire as seen in the photo.
I aggre.twin CTS have #1 position just amber flasher "on" and second #2 position was rotators with steady CA front red and amber flasher stays on.
for example aerodynic bars had in california mostly LAPD,LASD,CHP and maybe some others position #1 amber flashers on rear, #2 position front CA steadies and #3 position rotators with all previous functions.
in 70" and early 80" rear amber were sometimes steadies(with no flasher inside the bar) not flashing or simulative not alternative flashing.

Reactions: southpaw and H20

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
Thanks to crownvic97 I now have blue dome and I'll be able convert my CTS into a Red/Blue bar.

I'll post up more when I get the time to work on the bar.

Attachments

• IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
Jun 18, 2013
PA
awesome.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Lookin' forward to those photos, H20 ;)

Richard Austin

Jan 27, 2018
california
Well I made the trip this morning and brought this CTS home. It's all there and complete/original. I think I paid a little more than I should have considering the condition of the domes, but it is what it is. The domes aren't quite as nice as I had expected and hoped for but, it's a starting point. The cut-out dome is solid expect for a small crack in the amber insert where the bulb is touching it. I'm not sure why that's happening; it looks like the mount is correct and the bulb is where it should be in the mount, I'll know better once I get the dome off.

The other dome has a couple cracks along the outer corners which the seller didn't disclose. Unfortunately he didn't show up for the sale, his wife did; so I didn't feel like putting her on the spot to negotiate it as she had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, I powered it up and everything works; the rotators need to be timed as they're not quite in sync and the amber bulb stays solid when powered; I'm not sure if it's been messed with and the flasher was removed.

I won't have time to take it apart and look at it's guts until vacation next week. But it looks like solid restoration project.

I'm going to try wet sanding to see how clear I can get the domes.

What are you guys seeing solid used domes selling for? Non-CTS domes, red, blue?

Richard Austin

Jan 27, 2018
california
If you haven't done so yet, don't wet sand the lenes. Start with the plastic scratch cleaner, at local auto parts store. After that, use the 7 stage headlight cleaner which uses a very fine sand paper but the cream is made to clear and clean. Works well. Used it on my depts 74 coronet with twins nice bar. Pull long beach police 1774 dodge coronet. Probably a photo from Ripon car show. Good luck

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Welcome to the forum, Richard.
For your information:
You can edit your previous posts instead of writing a new one.
It will be easier to read that way, in my opinion.

Michael

CAPTAIN 58

Feb 10, 2017
Drexel hill pa
Thanks to crownvic97 I now have blue dome and I'll be able convert my CTS into a Red/Blue bar.

I'll post up more when I get the time to work on the bar.
Lol that's my old blue lense I traded for clear ones I'm glad to see it has a home

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@Thomas1234 What you have is a 12EF.. an economy twinsonic with the newer "Aerodynic" style par 36 flashers.

Domes look to be in pretty good shape.. good find.

The CTS.. uses an offset PAR 46 lamp..
so no not a CTS bar.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Technically you have a 12EVF since it has V mirrors.. maybe they were added post factory?
I may be 2nd only to Ryan here on the number of Twins I have worked on over the years.. but I have seen my fair share of 12EFs. While not anywhere near as common as the 12 and 12X variants they were not terribly rare either I still have several in various of stages of assembly. I even have one of these with Metal Par36 holders..

Rob

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Far as I can tell that's the version the NYPD used, clear domes of course, circa 1980, between the Signal Stat DuoComm(?) and the Aearotwinsonic

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.