Two and a half hours of Sandy responses (Vision SLR ITT)

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MESDA6 said:
Out of all that - the driver who backed the ladder truck in that bay at 2:16:44 get my vote for being a "Real Driver."

Didn't see much sense in the use of the lights in 90% of the video.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I see no aerial device at the time marker you quoted, only an Engine Company backing in.... :weird: :duh:

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Zapp Brannigan said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I see no aerial device at the time marker you quoted, only an Engine Company backing in.... :weird: :duh:

Sorry - quoted the wrong time but it's all in the video shot at the same station- it was immediately after that in the 2:18:xx range. Ladder 12 - looked like he's done that about half a million times in his sleep.

V

Volunteer

Out of all that - the driver who backed the ladder truck in that bay at 2:16:44 get my vote for being a "Real Driver."

Didn't see much sense in the use of the lights in 90% of the video.

The reasoning for lights was for easy identification, I know pd units were told by dispatch constantly to have their lights on.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Volunteer said:
The reasoning for lights was for easy identification, I know pd units were told by dispatch constantly to have their lights on.

Wouldn't having a cruise mode or steady burn on the bars be sufficient in accomplishing that task? I honestly would not know who to pull over for especially if they're just creeping with the lights on. :ugh:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
coopers said:
Wouldn't having a cruise mode or steady burn on the bars be sufficient in accomplishing that task? I honestly would not know who to pull over for especially if they're just creeping with the lights on. :ugh:
I'm guessing it was specifically for the time immediately before, during, and immediately after the storm - sort of a "this is an emergency situation, I don't know where I'm going yet but wherever it is, there's an emergency there" kinda thing.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
unlisted said:
lol @ the taillight of the PD vehicle at 1.21.. (min.sec)
What is that one anyway? Maybe Amtrak police?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
nerdly_dood said:
What is that one anyway? Maybe Amtrak police?
Amtrak Police, but with the older graphics. I think they switched to a "swoosh" type graphic on newer cars. Probably would have been better to just remove the light before it fly's off when taking a turn and nails someone, lol.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Volunteer said:

where ever anyone on my FD went we went with lights on during the hurricane, we were in a state of emergency so noone else shoulda been on the roadways anyway.

those visions are so nice. saw a few when i was in the city in november, real eye catchers.

what's up with the NYSP dump truck looking thing with the 2 suburbans at the 40 minute mark? interesting light mounts too, looks like theyre just swinging around haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
MESDA6 said:
Sorry - quoted the wrong time but it's all in the video shot at the same station- it was immediately after that in the 2:18:xx range. Ladder 12 - looked like he's done that about half a million times in his sleep.

Haha no worries, thought maybe I had missed something!!

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Quentin said:
Wish I could see what the vision SLR cruise lights look like.

Bright.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
like i had nothing to do for 2.5 hours...

14-1

Sep 13, 2012
Lebanon A
THanks for posting this. I had an interest in the topic as I was part of the Pa Strike Team Task Force from PA (medical) SCTF. We went to NJ and I served in Toms River, Brick based out of Egg Harbor. I did find that after this I still find LED only rigs boring, they just flash.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Amanda said:
what's up with the NYSP dump truck looking thing with the 2 suburbans at the 40 minute mark? interesting light mounts too, looks like theyre just swinging around haha

My DPW has the same type of mounts on their dump trucks, it keeps the light level and visible 360 when the bed is raised.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Amanda said:
That's so when the dump is lifted, that the lights will stay level as the dump raises. I think PENNDOT has a similar setup, I think.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lafd55 said:
That's so when the dump is lifted, that the lights will stay level as the dump raises.
Almost every single dump truck around here with a warning light has that kind of mount with an amber tin-can strobe beacon on it. There are about two that have the beacon just mounted on the front of the dump bed.

It'd be useful to see a mount like that for a full-size lightbar so that flatbed tow trucks wouldn't lose their warning with the back lifted...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.