Ugh.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
So, My LT has made a stetment that in all of our newer lighting, the amber lights will be omitted. He states that "orange and yellow" is for wreckers and DOT. I about lost my mind hearing that nonsense.

Out lighting had traditionally been blue with two amber modules in the rear of the bar. I have always used the amber separate from the rest of the lights when marking my location or when performing a task that doesn't require emergency colors. I have found some materials on the interwebz, but I am also venting and want some opinios from you guys as well. If you have any resources, post them up.

Thanks.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Not sure what kind of lights you have but member wilsonbr90 can change out LEDs in quite a few different models, if you wanted to change them from amber to blue for example. He does great work.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
It sounds as if your Lt doesn't know the first thing about it. Obviously there are a multitude of reasons amber should be used to the rear of most any emergency vehicle, starting with the fact that LEDs appear different colors because of wavelength variation, rendering different colors better for different times of day/night and weather conditions, etc...as the tip of the iceberg.

But seriously I would compile some information on why having amber is important and present it to whomever you need to.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
plus one on the amber. It's essential with an all blue set up. It's a warm color and a contrasting cool color.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
You didn't mention How long and how much experience this Lt. has. Is this a vol. dept.

Is he just coming up the ranks?

Also does he have the authorization from the Chief to make these changes?

Get it in writing that he wants you to change the lights and when it comes around has to why it was changed without ( authorization ) it you got your 6 covered.

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
chief1565 said:
You didn't mention How long and how much experience this Lt. has. Is this a vol. dept.
If he's just coming up the ranks?

Also does he have the authorization for the Chief to make these changes?

Get it in writing that he wants you to change the lights and when it comes around has to why it was changed without it you got your 6 covered.

Well said Chief!, CYOA.. :thumbsup:

IMHO : Typically most depts that runthe NEW LED's use the various emergency colors all blue, blue/red, all red, and they may have 2 ,3 or 4 well spaced heads in red or amber, to the rear. Amber is twice as bright than blue or red & can swallow up the the other colors if too many are used on the bar to the rear. Since everyone associates amber/yellow as caution, many depts use this. Some depts that have blue/red you may see them having a single amber for one of the rear heads again adds a Brighter light color and breakes up the bar. On rotator bars there typically is 2-4 dedicated flasher reflectors and they may have optional filters.

The Lt is correct in the fact that Wreckers run ALL amber or red/amber, but they are wreackers and your lightbars are not red/amber to the fron, their Blue...

I did a study years ago for my dept. concering the solid amber lightbars, and how the public did not pay much attaention to them and people were having near misses. The conclusion of the study showed 2-3 rear facing light heads added the color needed and drivers slowed down and moved over.

Same could be said of Security vehicles, they too were all amber, now they are 50% green & 50% amber, and with the color combo people dont see them as a construction vehicle and more of a emergency vehicle (I cant believe i just said that) and they move over when they are stopeed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
if yall check his info.. he is in Georgia. red is for fire he said all blue (police) and his proffesion is military (MP?)

so if that deduction is correct LT would be a jr. officer (either 1st or 2nd LT) and has only been in the real military no more than 3 years...

hope that helps... oh and mps where I was stationed ran red white and blue or red blue... no amber

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Jarred J. said:
if yall check his info.. he is in Georgia. red is for fire he said all blue (police) and his proffesion is military (MP?)

so if that deduction is correct LT would be a jr. officer (either 1st or 2nd LT) and has only been in the real military no more than 3 years...

hope that helps... oh and mps where I was stationed ran red white and blue or red blue... no amber

Fascinating with what little information he gave us I figured he was if the fire or ems service.

Helps when just a little bit of info like "Lt." gives little to his real occupation.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.