Unitrol 80K questions

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I searched and couldn't find an answer:

I know the 80K is very versitile and can be hooked up to independent switches on the control side My question is, if I want to use dual amps, do I have to use a factory amp to amp cable like with the Omega amp or can I just splice wires together out of the 12 pin connectors?

I think I have a 480K control head that I can use - if I can find it......

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the 80k dosent have anywhere to plug in a "second amp" so you will just have to splice into it, they have a diagram printed on the front of the unit next to the plug. its easy money

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Shawn L said:
the 80k dosent have anywhere to plug in a "second amp" so you will just have to splice into it, they have a diagram printed on the front of the unit next to the plug. its easy money

Thanks Shawn. That's what I thought, but FedSig sells 2 cables, UMCO29T that is says is an 80K amp to amp cable and UMCO30K that they say is needed to connect 2 amps to a control head.

I just thought maybe there was something I was missing on the amp or the installation instructions.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
ERT1111 said:
This might help...

That is actually where the confusion came in. That is the document that shows the factory required cables that are not needed.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I've installed/used a couple 80K amps at various times and I've never used the factor cables, always made my own.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Black Hoe said:
FYI... Forum member EV Modules manufacturers high quality Unitrol siren interconnect cables at any length you require.

Okay, thanks for the info.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
So I have an 80 installed with the amp hidden behind the center console. It is currently wired so the amp is hot whenever the vehicle running, which I am already considering changing to either only being hot when the lights are activated or on its own "master" switch. Regardless, the entire amp itself seems to get hotter than it should. Do 80K amps typically run hot? You can toucj it, but the entire exterior of the amp is ho to the touch. Everything operates normally. Just curious, just doesn't seem right, but no fuses are blowing and everything works.

ERT1111

Dec 26, 2011
California, USA
The Unitrol 80K does not use any power unless the siren is on making noise.

I wire the red wire from the 3-pin plug to a fuse block that is on a timer and the turn on wires for the functions to a switch panel for the various audio choices. Are you using the siren for long periods of time and its getting hot from that or is it getting hot during stand-by?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
ERT1111 said:
The Unitrol 80K does not use any power unless the siren is on making noise.

I wire the red wire from the 3-pin plug to a fuse block that is on a timer and the turn on wires for the functions to a switch panel for the various audio choices. Are you using the siren for long periods of time and its getting hot from that or is it getting hot during stand-by?

Hot on stand by.

ERT1111

Dec 26, 2011
California, USA
How do you have it hooked up?

This is one way to make it work with out a control-head:

80K.jpg

Do you only have the main red wire from the 3-pin plug connected to hot all the time or another one from the 12-pin plug?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Both the main 12v wire (red out of the 3 prong plug) and the 12v trigger wire (white with red stripe in the 12 pin plug) are hot all the time - the amp always receives power when the vehicle is running.

I am going to put the 12v trigger wire (12 pin) on a switch so it is only hot when I want to use it. It just has me perplexed why everything is working fine, but getting the entire amp so warm. I have several 80K amps, so if there is a problem with this one I can swap it out, I just don't want to go through the hassle if it is common to 80K amps to be overly warm to the touch.

ERT1111

Dec 26, 2011
California, USA
"I am going to put the 12v trigger wire (12 pin) on a switch so it is only hot when I want to use"

You got it. That trigger wire turns on the amp reading it for a siren noise.

Do you want one of the switches that is shown in the example? If you use the basic switch, like what a undercover car would use it will turn on the amp and then you can select a siren tone.

If you want a switch I will give you one just pay the shipping.

Carl

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
ERT1111 said:
"I am going to put the 12v trigger wire (12 pin) on a switch so it is only hot when I want to use"

You got it. That trigger wire turns on the amp reading it for a siren noise.

Do you want one of the switches that is shown in the example? If you use the basic switch, like what a undercover car would use it will turn on the amp and then you can select a siren tone.

If you want a switch I will give you one just pay the shipping.

Carl

That would be great! Send me a pm with the cost of shipping.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.