Unmarked install

bigmike0285

Jan 18, 2015
Sacramento california
hello all,
I want your idea's on lighting for the new "update". most of the cars are crown vic's, there are roughly 8 expeditions and about 10 tahoe's but the main focus is on the crown vic's. so right now the set up is basically a RED/Blue dual talon or avenger with RED/Blue grill with various blue / Amber rear deck lights. I think that there should be more lights than that ie: headlight flashers tail light flashers another deck light etc. please help with suggestions remember this is california so any forward options have to have a RED steady burn and the rear has to have blue / Amber somewhere in the mix of lights. please any and all ideas will be much appreciated thank you.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
IMHO a HLF should be mandatory, you will notice that before anything else. Add a couple of grill lights, Whelen 500 series for the Vic's and 700 series for SUV's or equivalant of your favorite mfg, or more likely, what purchasing will let you buy. Corner strobes are highly recommended. We still install them on our SUV's and sedans. Strobe has a pop that can't be duplicated by LED's IMHO, and the LED's that will fit in the turn/backup light lens are so small, I don't think there as effective.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
hello all,
I want your idea's on lighting for the new "update". most of the cars are crown vic's, there are roughly 8 expeditions and about 10 tahoe's but the main focus is on the crown vic's. so right now the set up is basically a RED/Blue dual talon or avenger with RED/Blue grill with various blue / Amber rear deck lights. I think that there should be more lights than that ie: headlight flashers tail light flashers another deck light etc. please help with suggestions remember this is california so any forward options have to have a RED steady burn and the rear has to have blue / Amber somewhere in the mix of lights. please any and all ideas will be much appreciated thank you.

What's their use?
What's the rough budget for them?

My standard recommendation for every CVPI (bare minimum): HLF, clear front corner strobe HAWs, 4 strobe HAWs to rear.
Beyond that, I like TIR6 behind the grill (I think smaller lightheads like TIR3 in the grill are too small to be effective). A dual avenger/talon on the dash works well, but whatever you do beyond that is all based on budget and ranges from a fullsize ILB with TDs ($$$) the 3 lamp inner edge from CVPIs, or a dual avenger/talon on the passenger side headliner ($).

For the rear, it's the same question...budget! A full size rear deck ILB would be great, but you can also do a dual avenger/viper on each side of the brake light, or a CHMSL light (whelen, FedSig, etc). If you have the money, something like linz6 or ion duos on a LP bracket would look nice as long as they're not split patterns

bigmike0285

Jan 18, 2015
Sacramento california
What's their use?

My standard recommendation for every CVPI (bare minimum): HLF, clear front corner strobe HAWs, 4 strobe HAWs to rear.
Beyond that, I like TIR6 behind the grill (I think smaller lightheads like TIR3 in the grill are too small to be effective). A dual avenger/talon on the dash works well, but whatever you do beyond that is all based on budget and ranges from a fullsize ILB with TDs ($$$) the 3 lamp inner edge from CVPIs, or a dual avenger/talon on the passenger side headliner ($).

For the rear, it's the same question...budget! A full size rear deck ILB would be great, but you can also do a dual avenger/viper on each side of the brake light, or a CHMSL light (whelen, FedSig, etc). If you have the money, something like linz6 or ion duos on a LP bracket would look nice as long as they're not split patterns
Mainly stings or undercover assignments on occasion even though rare a uniform will take one out to catch texting drivers etc.

bigmike0285

Jan 18, 2015
Sacramento california
What's their use?

As for budget we want to stay to roughly $300-$500 for lighting.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
For the purpose they serve, it sounds like they have okay lighting already. I would add a HLF to everything and a 6-pack strobe HAW system in the front markers and the tail lights and reverse lights of the CVPIs. I feel the strobes are more effective in the large light housings than LAWs and are cheaper.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
As for budget we want to stay to roughly $300-$500 for lighting.

Do u know what type of rear lighting you currently have (i.e. Dual avenger blue/Amber on driver side rear deck)? Whatever you have on the driver side, I would replicate on the passenger side rear deck, but maybe do red/blue on that side.

Since you already have grill lights & a dash light up front, there isn't really much more to add for an undercover/sting vehicle, aside from the HLF and corner HAWs that I mentioned above. Keeping that budget in mind, I would definitely look into the 3 lamp inner edge that I recommended above....it was specifically made for the crown Vic and to fit directly above the RVM (and is less noticeable than a dual light on the lower dash). Another option is putting a tir6 slimlighter on a bail mount on the passenger side windshield; it'll def stay out of sight when off, but (when in use) it'll punch through tint and supplement the dual avenger/talon nicely

Just remember, though, that no vehicle can truly be 100% undercover when it's something like a crown vic, so don't worry if some lights can be seen on the rear deck or what not (one thing that I like about my city's street crimes unit is that they use everything but typical LEO vehicles for unmarked units....they use grand Cherokees, Camrys, Nissan pickups, etc with front/rear HAWs and a dual dash light)

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Our unmarked Crown Vic "admin specials" have the following and I like the simplicity and effectiveness.

Front:
(1) Dual Avenger above RVM
(2) dual level 400 series super LEDs behind grill (flashing solid not split)
(2) HAWs installed in front head lamp corners
Rear:
(2) Single Avengers opposite side of third brake light on deck
(4) HAWs installed in reverse lights and brake lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.