Unmarked Security CVPI

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
11b101abn said:
Money, huh?

Do what ya gotta do. If you were doing it for money,then it's a good thing you got out so someone that actually gave a fuck could pick up your slack.

Enjoy your propane route, Hank.

That was totally uncalled for. Who said he didnt care?

Whoever says they dont do a job for the money, IMO, is a liar. Got bills? Takes money to pay them. Got a family? Takes money to support them. Public Safety likely wont make you rich, but if you can get a good paying job why not? The economy sucks so good money will get you by. My wife is an RN with a 4 year degree in a hospital. She cares about and loves her job. I dont think she or her coworkers would want the responsiblility of what she does for much less then what she makes now. They run around all day long.

Also, its a fact that the less you pay someone, the less they will likely care and perform. Would you do your job for $10.00/HR? Look at companies like Securitas or US Security Associates. They hire people for $9.00/HR. They look sloppy and lazy and have high turnover. They will hire anyone with a pulse. My company hires all LEO's or well trained people. We get paid more, look sharp and do our jobs.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I've worked security for several different hospitals through the years, several of them in inter city areas (Inglewood California & Columbus, Ohio). Our goal was to be very visible and we wanted it to be obvious who we were. Almost everywhere we had SUVs, P/U trucks, or in one case a full sized panel van. All had the hospital's name or logo very visible and high profile lighting. Police type sedans just didn't give us the ability to see what was going on several rows away in the parking lots. We had high profile lighting to: A) make use of alley & take down lights that could light up entire areas, B) give us an "official" profile (and the lights had amber domes), and C) provide safety when directing traffic (one hospital had a state highway going through the campus and since we were commissioned, we directed traffic during rush hour). I never had a need for 5 million lights & a push-bar and it was always obvious who I represented by the vehicle's marking. That car violates the basic principles of what a security patrol is suppose to do...

Jhart911er

Apr 11, 2011
North east pennsylvania
11b101abn said:
Money, huh?

Do what ya gotta do. If you were doing it for money,then it's a good thing you got out so someone that actually gave a fuck could pick up your slack.

Enjoy your propane route, Hank.

Who said I didn't give a Fuck?? I loved the Job and the work but i have bills to pay pal, and like you quoted I did what I had to do for my family and kids and I would hope that someone like yourself who is obviously held at a higher standard and gives more of a fuck than the rest of us would have done the same.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
5309 said:
why not a thin green line instead?

I agree, I'm all for supporting the troops and showing it!

However, if one is dressing their vehicle to look like a LE vehicle, then it is a must to have any and all items on the vehicle represent LE. To do otherwise might make someone think the vehicle is actually what it is, not a LE vehicle!

Aside from the Thin Blue Line, these listed below are the other thin line series.

Thin Orange Line - Bounty Hunters - Non Sworn, Private Citizens.

Thin Red Line - Fire Fighters

Thin Silver Line - Corrections Officers/Jailers

Thin Yellow Line - Security guards - Non Sworn, Private Citizens.

Thin Green Line - Military/Federal

Thin White Line - EMS

I'm suprised there are not thin line stickers for tow truck operators, or Pilot Car operators.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
tbone745 said:
They wouldn't be driving anything that looked like a police car then.... unless they wanted to play detective of course ;)

Without going into details, while working security at a property. myself and my partner ran into two private investigator leg men...backed into a parking space in full view of everyone, ducked down in the front seat with a vidoe camera pointed over the dashboard, a yellow fireball-type light on the dash (next to camera) and a "Security Enforcement Officer" badge pined to the sunvisor and then stuck out the window.

When we got tired of laughing at them and making nasty jokes about them involving inbreeding, etc. I made the approach and challenged these two "professsionals" . They tried to start their POS and it wouldn't start! So they called their boss, who arrived in short orrder in suit and tie, driving an old Houston Police blue and white with the decals painted over with black krylon, body damage, leaning to one side, and the wiring from the long gone Whelen bar still sticking out like a ponytail from the roof. Not to mention the vehicle had the siren driver on the push bumper and had a siren installed inside.

I explained to my client what the deal was and that this was an example of some of the people you find working in the PI biz that shouldn't be working in it.

I mention this strictly for the stupidity factor involved when somebody "plays dectective, but wants everyone to think they're a cop"

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
TheLightFromMars said:
Without going into details, while working security at a property. myself and my partner ran into two private investigator leg men...backed into a parking space in full view of everyone, ducked down in the front seat with a vidoe camera pointed over the dashboard, a yellow fireball-type light on the dash (next to camera) and a "Security Enforcement Officer" badge pined to the sunvisor and then stuck out the window.

When we got tired of laughing at them and making nasty jokes about them involving inbreeding, etc. I made the approach and challenged these two "professsionals" . They tried to start their POS and it wouldn't start! So they called their boss, who arrived in short orrder in suit and tie, driving an old Houston Police blue and white with the decals painted over with black krylon, body damage, leaning to one side, and the wiring from the long gone Whelen bar still sticking out like a ponytail from the roof. Not to mention the vehicle had the siren driver on the push bumper and had a siren installed inside.

I explained to my client what the deal was and that this was an example of some of the people you find working in the PI biz that shouldn't be working in it.

I mention this strictly for the stupidity factor involved when somebody "plays dectective, but wants everyone to think they're a cop"

Wait, private security guards making fun of private investigators? That's the funny story! For others info, in Texas both security guards and private investigators are licensed through the State, and are not Law Enforcement in any way. Both can be armed, but where security guards have to be in uniform, carry their weapon in a open way, and cannot wear their weapon off post in public, while PI's wear plain clothes and can carry concealed where ever allowed. Neither have powers of arrest beyond everyone's power of citizens arrest. There are no legal plain clothed security guards, or uniformed PI's in Texas. There is a bit more training involved in being a PI's.

That being said, PI's in an LE look alike vehicle is about as wanna be as a security guard in an ex cop car re dressed to look like a LE car.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
HILO said:
I agree, I'm all for supporting the troops and showing it!

However, if one is dressing their vehicle to look like a LE vehicle, then it is a must to have any and all items on the vehicle represent LE. To do otherwise might make someone think the vehicle is actually what it is, not a LE vehicle!

Aside from the Thin Blue Line, these listed below are the other thin line series.

Thin Orange Line - Bounty Hunters - Non Sworn, Private Citizens.

Thin Red Line - Fire Fighters

Thin Silver Line - Corrections Officers/Jailers

Thin Yellow Line - Security guards - Non Sworn, Private Citizens.

Thin Green Line - Military/Federal

Thin White Line - EMS

I'm suprised there are not thin line stickers for tow truck operators, or Pilot Car operators.

Or pizza delivery boys?

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
HILO said:
Wait, private security guards making fun of private investigators? That's the funny story! For others info, in Texas both security guards and private investigators are licensed through the State, and are not Law Enforcement in any way. Both can be armed, but where security guards have to be in uniform, carry their weapon in a open way, and cannot wear their weapon off post in public, while PI's wear plain clothes and can carry concealed where ever allowed. Neither have powers of arrest beyond everyone's power of citizens arrest. There are no legal plain clothed security guards, or uniformed PI's in Texas. There is a bit more training involved in being a PI's.

That being said, PI's in an LE look alike vehicle is about as wanna be as a security guard in an ex cop car re dressed to look like a LE car.

Like I said, I didn't give ALL the details...just the "reader's digest" version. If you'd had been there, you'd have laughed, too. Think "Three Stooges Detective Agency"

It was a hoot!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
TheLightFromMars said:
Like I said, I didn't give ALL the details...just the "reader's digest" version. If you'd had been there, you'd have laughed, too. Think "Three Stooges Detective Agency"

It was a hoot!

I bet! I can honestly say in my 17 years as a volunteer in Dallas, and as an attorney's investigator (no licence needed), I have never ran across a PI. I've meet a few, but never seen one working, or being obvious. The clowns you found sound like trouble.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
I've met more than a few over the years and on occassion worked with some (learned a lot about the biz that way)...but only a few professionals. Most of my contact were with the "leg men", most of whom had the tactical ability like a battleship in a bathtub. Most of these "leg men" were given a few bucks to go out and video someone by a PI and didn't have ANY certification or training. At many of my sites, the guards used to make a game out of spotting them (such as one who had a camera in his ball cap....with the lense sticking out the front through a hole cut in it...or the guy who flashed a "Licensed Concealed Handgun Permit Holder" badge to me, three of my officers, and a deputy sheriff while we all laughed at him)

I came to the conclusion that, at least in some markets, private investigation was no different than contract security in many ways.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
FireMedic129 said:
Dear Texas Retard,
if you want to go back and read the words i wrote (sound out the big ones) i never said that it wasn't a crime.

I am going to call bullshit on just having a light mounted being PC for a stop. While i know i could be wrong as i have no idea about texas law, i know for fact that in my state there is nothing about having lights that is illegal, only using them while driving on a public road. If a LEO stopped me my for having the lights on my car that i do without using them i would have a field day with him in court. I want to repeat that i may be wrong about the way the law is written in texas.

I also want to state that i verified this with several LEO's in my area, including a post commander for Kentucky State Police

I just posted the laws from Kentucky, including the KRS numbers pertaining to the correct color and use of lights. It is in the States Laws thread. Yes, some state it is illegal to just be in possession of a light, much less have it mounted on a vehicle and to turn it on. In Kentucky, you can mount lights on your vehicle, as long as you don't turn them on if you are not authorized to and don't pretend to play a cop or fire fighter .

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Would there be a way for a dept. to trademark or copyright the design for their cars to possibly keep things like the above from the streets? Or would that just be too much work actually enforcing it? Just thinking out loud.

richie5335

Feb 10, 2012
US/Texas
Hoff said:
Would there be a way for a dept. to trademark or copyright the design for their cars to possibly keep things like the above from the streets? Or would that just be too much work actually enforcing it? Just thinking out loud.

I don't know but I do know if I was on patrol I would gig them in a heartbeat, On a side note the guard driving was very persistent in establishing that the area where his vehicle was parked was a no parking area an that cars where to park in front of the building

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Mrlunchbox said:
Shot guns and assault rifles?! Where do I sign up! hahahahaha ;)

wherever you want your back-up sweeping across your back with a shotgun... but don't sweat it.. if he shoots you, you will still look cool with that white cowboy hat on :bonk:

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
MEVS06 said:
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

If some one from out of state, which is me, would see them in action, I would think they were the actual police. In KY blue lights are strictly reserved for LE, no one else can use them. And why would a security company need chase cars? The only exception I can think to the blue light rule in KY is the private security that patrols around a US Army base near by. I seen those security with guns and blue lights but they never patrol on the public right of way. The only time I saw them on the right of way on duty is when a car slid off the public highway that parrallels the base and crashed through the fence marking the base property line. The security officer was there with the driver, which was clearly shaken up, both of which was waiting for the local police and EMS to arrive. Even then, the security officer did not have his blue light on.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
With all the Deputy Sheriffs, Deputy Constables, ISD Police, Transit Police, Hospital Police, and State Troopers that are in the Houston/Harris County area, I'm surprised illegalally equipped vehicles like those and the ones that look like HPD get zero attention. The county commissioners and city council must be very well compensated by private security guard companies.

Gonna have to look a little harder into the area I'm moving to. Not sure I want a bunch of lookalike wanna bes near my family. They are in the mindset go to a LEO if they have a problem. I can't start to think what might happen if my wife is being followed by some scumbag and flags down what she thinks is a Sheriffs Deputy, only to be passed by a posed security guard in a look alike car.

I looked at 12 houses, in 7 neighborhoods, and there was at least one real LE take home vehicle parked in a driveway. Very impressed with the amount of take home cars.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
It is exactly this type of behavior by contract guard services that give them the reputation they do. Even professionals in it are "branded" because of such things as this. I examined this particular company's website...WHY does a contract guard service need a SWAT team, carry weapons that could be considered offensive in nature (the AR-15's), advertise a fugitive recovery service and has an "air support division" that consists of a small, single engined airplane.

Someone commented about "accidental discharges"...well, what happens if one of these people shoots someone with that AR-15? You know lawyers are gonna get their hands on the YouTube video...on the website itself, and they are going to feast like buzzards on road kill. Having Harris County Sheriff Garcia on your webpage isn't going to help one bit when the newsmedia also latch on to such an event.

The clients who use them won't be left out of such a lawsuit, either.

I do not care what property you guard...how dangerous it is...there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for this kind of activity unless the guard service is guarding a DoD or a Nuclear site. Patrollling in vehicles that only identify them as "security" in very small lettering on the back fender might hang this in the "whacker" column...but more like "impersonation of a peace officer" and I would be curious to see what some of the Texas peace officers on this board think.

I work in private security....I am a professional...I know my job and my limits, what I can do and what I can't. This scares me . But what scares me even worse is it is more the rule rather than the exception these days.

Sorry, but I had to get this off my chest. End of rant.

richie5335

Feb 10, 2012
US/Texas
TheLightFromMars said:
It is exactly this type of behavior by contract guard services that give them the reputation they do. Even professionals in it are "branded" because of such things as this. I examined this particular company's website...WHY does a contract guard service need a SWAT team, carry weapons that could be considered offensive in nature (the AR-15's), advertise a fugitive recovery service and has an "air support division" that consists of a small, single engined airplane.
Someone commented about "accidental discharges"...well, what happens if one of these people shoots someone with that AR-15? You know lawyers are gonna get their hands on the YouTube video...on the website itself, and they are going to feast like buzzards on road kill. Having Harris County Sheriff Garcia on your webpage isn't going to help one bit when the newsmedia also latch on to such an event.

The clients who use them won't be left out of such a lawsuit, either.

I do not care what property you guard...how dangerous it is...there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for this kind of activity unless the guard service is guarding a DoD or a Nuclear site. Patrollling in vehicles that only identify them as "security" in very small lettering on the back fender might hang this in the "whacker" column...but more like "impersonation of a peace officer" and I would be curious to see what some of the Texas peace officers on this board think.

I work in private security....I am a professional...I know my job and my limits, what I can do and what I can't. This scares me . But what scares me even worse is it is more the rule rather than the exception these days.

Sorry, but I had to get this off my chest. End of rant.

I understand how you feel bro before getting into law enforcement I too worked security and to see these same types of people that go stir crazy about trying to look and feel like they are leo's and companies that make them feel like its ok to break the law or give a false look to deceive the public, those where the companies that I stayed away from for the short time that I worked security while in the academy, but especially here in the Houston area there are more bad then good companies. When I got off work the uniform shirt came off cause I no longer was working and didnt want to associate myself with anything to do with security lol. If any of those cars where in my juristiction that I worked I would stop them in a heartbeat and get dps involved too! To many have the mentality that there big and bad especially in the picture I posted of the harris county look a like car. The guard that was driving got out and started to show a cop like persona ie (I'm the s%$) mentality I could help but laugh

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
I went to college and recieved my degree in Corrections and Juvenile Services from Eastern Kentucky Univeristy. Since that time I worked as an in house security officer at the local hospital. When it came to uniforms, yes they were the classic blue shirt and black pants design. We wore real badges, but it said security on it. We had arm patches, but it said security on it. When we patroled the hospital campus and buildings, we drove state surplus vehicles, mainly all white Ford Rangers with 14 inch tires on them. The maintinance department drove them as well. Nothing flashy, no decals, no lights other than what Ford built them with. All we caried was a radio and flashlight. Granted, I could talk to 911 dispatch on the radio if I had to, but I usually used my cell phone. I caught severel drunk drivers but I always called the police after I observed them being drunk. I never approached a drunk before calling the police. I new I couldn't put my hands on someone unless they grabbed me or came after me. However, there were doctors and nurses that constantly called me because they thought I was their private police. They were not happy with me when they found out I wouldn't do the dirty work they would get the untrained fresh out of high school officers to do.

Looking back at my experience, there would be some changes in how security would be presented to the employees and public at the hospital. I would not use police uniforms or even allow the officers to wear badges, even if they only said security. I would not want security to look like police officers an any way. But, I would want them to look seperate from John Q. Public as well. Wear Polos with security printed across the back and front laple of the shirt. Allow then to carry radios even with the 911 channels for immediate help if the need arises. And drive vehicles that are plain looking. Also, have institution issued photo IDs in place of badges, which I wore as well as the badge. Security only scratches the surface of the law enforcement business. Anything deeper and then you need real law enforment officers. Not someone dressing up like a cop and driving chase cars.

richie5335

Feb 10, 2012
US/Texas
ejwa said:
I went to college and recieved my degree in Corrections and Juvenile Services from Eastern Kentucky Univeristy. Since that time I worked as an in house security officer at the local hospital. When it came to uniforms, yes they were the classic blue shirt and black pants design. We wore real badges, but it said security on it. We had arm patches, but it said security on it. When we patroled the hospital campus and buildings, we drove state surplus vehicles, mainly all white Ford Rangers with 14 inch tires on them. The maintinance department drove them as well. Nothing flashy, no decals, no lights other than what Ford built them with. All we caried was a radio and flashlight. Granted, I could talk to 911 dispatch on the radio if I had to, but I usually used my cell phone. I caught severel drunk drivers but I always called the police after I observed them being drunk. I never approached a drunk before calling the police. I new I couldn't put my hands on someone unless they grabbed me or came after me. However, there were doctors and nurses that constantly called me because they thought I was their private police. They were not happy with me when they found out I wouldn't do the dirty work they would get the untrained fresh out of high school officers to do.

Looking back at my experience, there would be some changes in how security would be presented to the employees and public at the hospital. I would not use police uniforms or even allow the officers to wear badges, even if they only said security. I would not want security to look like police officers an any way. But, I would want them to look seperate from John Q. Public as well. Wear Polos with security printed across the back and front laple of the shirt. Allow then to carry radios even with the 911 channels for immediate help if the need arises. And drive vehicles that are plain looking. Also, have institution issued photo IDs in place of badges, which I wore as well as the badge. Security only scratches the surface of the law enforcement business. Anything deeper and then you need real law enforment officers. Not someone dressing up like a cop and driving chase cars.

Well ejwa your one of the good proffesional ones that others need to emulate from! :thumbsup: :hail:

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
FireEMSPolice said:
That was totally uncalled for. Who said he didnt care?

Whoever says they dont do a job for the money, IMO, is a liar. Got bills? Takes money to pay them. Got a family? Takes money to support them. Public Safety likely wont make you rich, but if you can get a good paying job why not? The economy sucks so good money will get you by. My wife is an RN with a 4 year degree in a hospital. She cares about and loves her job. I dont think she or her coworkers would want the responsiblility of what she does for much less then what she makes now. They run around all day long.

Also, its a fact that the less you pay someone, the less they will likely care and perform. Would you do your job for $10.00/HR? Look at companies like Securitas or US Security Associates. They hire people for $9.00/HR. They look sloppy and lazy and have high turnover. They will hire anyone with a pulse. My company hires all LEO's or well trained people. We get paid more, look sharp and do our jobs.

Hell, you're right. I know it too.

Still peeves me to hear shit like that, But i get it.

Sorry for the full-on dick mode.

VF-Wrangler06

May 16, 2012
United States, Georgia
Before I go too deep into this one, I'd like a little more information maybe from a Texas LEO, because I'm not in anyway a lawyer in Texas, nor familiar with the details, and the website for RPG Tactical sounds like these guys loosely interpreted some of Texas State Law regarding "citizens arrest" and "TASERS".

First the video, are these security guards carrying shotguns, handguns, and assault rifles while they are "on duty"? I assume that the video is for promotional purposes only, although the U2 soundtrack might throw you as to how tough they "appear" to be :confused: But I would assume that carrying weapons other than pepper spray would be illegal, unless you are trained to be a "guard" such as for armored transport services? I know that security officers are (and please, I am trying to be respectful of those employed as security officers) really not protected enough to be put in harms way confronting perps. I wouldn't want to be a security guard that looks so much like a cop that some perp opens fire and have pepper spray, no body armor, and no backup in my defense. The CVPI shooting was hinted on in a thread about ex-LEO vehicles that get sold at auction, but I'd rather not get into the grandpa's CV and CVPI Ex-LEO debate.

What I do know is, I too looked at their website and I would agree fully with TheLightFromMars. The website scares the hell out of me. They openly state they want to look like marked PD units to appear that actual PD is guarding or rather patrolling the property, and then one line later state that a LEO won't deter those that are "felons and career criminals" and neither will security officers. I am also wondering what "tactical training" they claim teach. If they dealt in self-defense tactics, hand-to-hand, and taught classes to both Law Enforcement and Security, I could understand, but mixing SWAT Tactics and Security to appear to be PD sounds extremely risky.

My $0.02

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Here in MA, if anyone but a LEO tried to run blues, they would be immediately arrested for impersonating a LEO and their vehicle would be impounded! These security companies are unreal!!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
22Engine said:

dad gummit you beat me to it. i watched the video above and though of this exact same thing.... great minds think alike

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
I was on the 408 the other day and saw awhite crown vic with white reflective decals but bright red K9 Officer on the back and sides. As I went to pass him I saw it was a security car with fully hidden lights. I guess he just wanted people to see the K9 and guess at who he was lol :crazy:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Besides the cop lookalike stuff, (deeply troubling from my point of view, as I live in a country where barely driving a vehicle or wearing a uniform that can create misinterpretation by the general public is itself AN OFFENSE !) I frankly wonder how these guys do finance that kinda gear...

I mean, this is a business that has to generate a profit, so why would one entrepreneur raise his costs so much as to show off with Chargers and "anti-crime" units, heavy weapons and air support, when the same result could be achieved with a decent uniform and a Toyota pickup ?

Who the heck makes their customer base ?

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
TheGatekeeper said:
Besides the cop lookalike stuff, (deeply troubling from my point of view, as I live in a country where barely driving a vehicle or wearing a uniform that can create misinterpretation by the general public is itself AN OFFENSE !) I frankly wonder how these guys do finance that kinda gear...
I mean, this is a business that has to generate a profit, so why would one entrepreneur raise his costs so much as to show off with Chargers and "anti-crime" units, heavy weapons and air support, when the same result could be achieved with a decent uniform and a Toyota pickup ?

Who the heck makes their customer base ?

That is a very good question. I travel all over this city and in a four county area. I have had associates that have ran into these guys driving around in their "patrol" cars and one that ran into one "guarding a ('motel') in a very dangerous part of southwest Houston"

During my travels, I have ran into major and minor guard companies guarding their clients...I have never ran into a single one of their officers at any property and for a company that advertises what they do, it raises not only questions, but red flags.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.