UPDATE: Ambulance is 'booted' while treating a patient.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
From EMS1;

Ambulance gets 'booted' while medics tend to emergency

NEW ORLEANS — An ambulance was booted Friday while medics were tending to a man with chest pains inside a convenience store.

New Orleans EMS spokesman Jeb Tate told WWL-TV the paramedics only realized the restrictive parking boot had been placed on their ambulance when they tried to transport the patient.

Now, I thought I had seen it all. When I first read the article I thought it was a "You can't park here so please leave" 'booted'. But no, I couldn't fathom the amount of stupidity when I realized it was a PARKING BOOT!!

What sucks is that now the ambulance is damaged as a result because the EMT attempted to drive... not knowing the boot was there of course... the patient who was having a heart attack to the hospital.

I have heard of people booting people (private citizens) which is all well in good if you do it... oh yea, with common sense! This, to say, is an all time low with the gene pool selection (to the store owners/workers).

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Wow, that has to be the stupidest person in the world that booted that emergency vehicle. That has to be the dumbest thing I have every heard of anyone doing in all my years around emergency services as a FF/EMT and freelance news videographer/photographer. I am sure there is no specific law on emergency vehicles on where they can park, but they are exempt from any parking restrictions that are in a state law book when there for an emergency. Now if they were just getting food or something I can maybe understand, but the freaking lights were on and they had to know it was a medical call going on.

No matter the outcome of the patient and I do hope they will pull through, the family & city should sue the store employee that did that to make a point of their stupidity. Does not need to be allot of money, just so that fool learns you do not mess with emergency vehicles that are there in an emergency. The city should not have to pay for the tire and damage, thus a small claims case filed by the city attorney for damages. Send it to Judy Judy so she can tear the person apart for being stupid.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Someone made a good comment that it was a crime to boot that ambulance as that is technically interfering with the duties of a public servant. Makes sense to me and that person should have been arrested by the police for doing that.

What is the law here in Texas for the LEOs reading this and also New Orleans for those LEOs?

Jeffrey .... · Top Commenter · Haledon, New Jersey

Interfering with EMT or paramedic while in performance of their duties is a felony. Disabling and emergency vehicle during an emergency is also a felony. Why wasn't the employee arrested?

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Personally, I think that whoever booted the ambulance, is responsible for the boot policy, and/or the store should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law not only from a criminal standpoint but a civil standpoint as well by the patient that was being taken care of.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I found a law in that state where it is a crime to what the person did by booting the ambulance as that directly interfered with the ability for the EMTs to perform their official duties. The person that put the boot on hindered the ability of the EMT to leave with the patient and greatly delayed needed advanced medical care from a ER.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78426

§327. Obstructing a fireman

A.(1) It shall be unlawful for any person intentionally to obstruct any fireman while in the performance of his official duties. Obstructing a fireman is hereby defined as intentionally hindering, delaying, hampering, interfering with, or impeding the progress of any regularly employed member of a fire department of any municipality, parish, or fire protection district of the state of Louisiana, or any volunteer fireman of the state of Louisiana while in the performance of his official duties; or cursing, reviling, or using any opprobrious language directed at any such fireman while in the performance of his official duties.

(2) For the purposes of this Section, "fireman" shall include certified first responders as defined in R.S. 40:1231(9), certified emergency medical technicians as defined in R.S. 40:1231(5), and any firefighter regularly employed by a fire department of any municipality, parish, or fire protection district of the state of Louisiana, or any volunteer fireman of the state of Louisiana.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Now the question is, will anyone be held accountable for this? I hope so. I hope that charges are brought up against the person who booted the ambulance. After looking through the video again to show someone the idiocy that happened, I see that vehicles are booted by a company, not necessarily the store or it's employees.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
There's clearly some education missing from the booter and/or the person who wrote the policy to boot vehicles. In addition to the NOFD going after the company responsible for the booting, I wouldn't be surprised to see the patient and/or the family moving forward with some sort of legal action against that person and/or company, too.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer...nor am I playing one on eLB. :)

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Some comments state the belief that someone from the store did it. It wouldn't surprise me if someone from the CITY did it. The Meter Nazis even ticket marked patrol cars in New Orleans, and one friend who is a detective had his city unmarked cruiser towed by parking enforcement. I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
Simple solution would have been, if the driver noticed the boot before pulling away, to have called in a Truck or Squad Co. and used the Jaws of Life to take the boot off, and take it off in such a way that it could no longer be used.

Welcome to Quickies! Home of the Boot, Please drive through..... Not! :p

APU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
crescentstar69 said:
Believe me, their gene pool is not only shallow and stagnant, but there is no lifeguard on duty!

In some cases that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

Darwinism at it's best. :boxin: :explode:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
crescentstar69 said:
Some comments state the belief that someone from the store did it. It wouldn't surprise me if someone from the CITY did it. The Meter Nazis even ticket marked patrol cars in New Orleans, and one friend who is a detective had his city unmarked cruiser towed by parking enforcement. I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

I've heard of situations like this in other places as well. It's totally obnoxious. If you're a municipal employee charged with parking enforcement, a quick call in to run a vehicle's plates should be in order before ANY vehicle is ticketed, towed, booted, or otherwise interfered with. Also, with the exception of truely specilized unmarked units (narcotics units come to mind) how hard is it to pick out a black CVPI with dash/deck lights. They really don't hide all that well when you think about it.

Note: I know not all unmarked units look like this but it seems even these get "harassed" by parking: View attachment 44585

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Y'all are seeing this wrong. That ambulance was taking up more than 1 parking space. They need all of those spaces so law-abiding citizens can come in and buy lotto tickets. How else are they going to get the money to rebuild this great city?

:suicide:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
foxtrot5 said:
Note: I know not all unmarked units look like this but it seems even these get "harassed" by parking: View attachment 44585

This is a great point. From first glance, when I saw them, These looked like a detective car or administration cars. But are these legit department cars... Or are they retired units, sold at auction, and someone who bought them is just some Joe Citizen driving it around. Or maybe a Volly Fire/EMS car? I would appreciate THESE vehicles being harassed and questioned and even ticketed if there is doubt to legitimacy. You can re-cant a ticket if it turns out to be someone on official duties.

But to stray off topic a smidgen, There are multiple agencies throughout the land that use vehicles like this, that are used by officers as take home vehicles, that use it to skirt around paying for parking while not on official business. I know no one is ever 100% "Off Duty" but there comes a time that the use of power to "do as you please" has to be checked. To use your take home detective car to park in a spot to get out of paying however much in parking when you meet someone for a bite to eat is ludicrous.

But I digress. As that is probably going to open up a whole new can of worms and probably end in the ring... :-x :eek:fftopic:

Back on topic. Again, I would rather have totally unmarked vehicles, with normal plates, or no other special markings or stickers (CURRENT & department issued) be questioned. This was just plain ignorant. You either 1) Have to be 100% mentally challenged or 2) Have a grudge against the New Orleans EMS service.

My guess is #2

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Fluffy126577 said:
This is a great point. From first glance, when I saw them, These looked like a detective car or administration cars. But are these legit department cars... Or are they retired units, sold at auction, and someone who bought them is just some Joe Citizen driving it around. Or maybe a Volly Fire/EMS car? I would appreciate THESE vehicles being harassed and questioned and even ticketed if there is doubt to legitimacy. You can re-cant a ticket if it turns out to be someone on official duties.

But to stray off topic a smidgen, There are multiple agencies throughout the land that use vehicles like this, that are used by officers as take home vehicles, that use it to skirt around paying for parking while not on official business. I know no one is ever 100% "Off Duty" but there comes a time that the use of power to "do as you please" has to be checked. To use your take home detective car to park in a spot to get out of paying however much in parking when you meet someone for a bite to eat is ludicrous.

But I digress. As that is probably going to open up a whole new can of worms and probably end in the ring... :-x :eek:fftopic:

Back on topic. Again, I would rather have totally unmarked vehicles, with normal plates, or no other special markings or stickers (CURRENT & department issued) be questioned. This was just plain ignorant. You either 1) Have to be 100% mentally challenged or 2) Have a grudge against the New Orleans EMS service.

My guess is #2

I have no idea what these particular vehicles are. I simple googled unmarked police car or something close to that then clicked on the first black CV I saw. As far as ticketing these vehicles, why not simply run the plates first? I know for a fact that an agency can flag a plate even if it doesn't come back registered to XYZ Police.

I agree that parking a takehome unit for free while simply eating dinner with the family or friends is wrong.

To really go back on topic, special vehicles like an ambulance, SWAT truck, and/or firetruck should NEVER be booted because in all reality, who has a take home ambulance or whatever?

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
foxtrot5 said:
I have no idea what these particular vehicles are. I simple googled unmarked police car or something close to that then clicked on the first black CV I saw. As far as ticketing these vehicles, why not simply run the plates first? I know for a fact that an agency can flag a plate even if it doesn't come back registered to XYZ Police.

I agree that parking a takehome unit for free while simply eating dinner with the family or friends is wrong.

To really go back on topic, special vehicles like an ambulance, SWAT truck, and/or firetruck should NEVER be booted because in all reality, who has a take home ambulance or whatever?

My questions were just general ones. :) Not really directed at anyone. :) Running the plate would fall under the "questioning" part of my statement. Maybe investigate would be a better choice of words.

I agree, no one should boot a firetruck or ambulance because, as you stated, no one has a take home unit with those vehicles.

But I do seem to remember a few people taking certain apparatus out on "joy rides" while intoxicated... Would that be a good reason for a boot? :dielaugh:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
From EMS1;

Man who 'booted' ambulance fired, cited

NEW ORLEANS — A convenience store worker who booted an ambulance while crews were inside the store tending to a patient has been cited and fired... Ahmed Sidi Aleywa was issued a citation by New Orleans police for simple criminal damage and was terminated from his job at Mr. Quicky's... A police report said that Side Alewya didn't realize that he had booted an ambulance and added that he doesn't speak English.

Really???? Really!!??? The freaking flashing lights and markings didn't give it away... :crazy: :crazy: :bonk: :bonk: :uhno: :uhno:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Fluffy126577 said:
From EMS1;
Man who 'booted' ambulance fired, cited

Really???? Really!!??? The freaking flashing lights and markings didn't give it away... :crazy: :crazy: :bonk: :bonk: :uhno: :uhno:

Not even Michael Bay could make that story up, even with explosions... :duh:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You do not have to speak English to know what an Ambulance is by the appearance that has already been noted. That person is just freaking stupid moron and should be in jail not fined. I can be in any county in the world and know what an Ambulance without having to read a word to tell me.

I am glad that something was done, but more need to be done in a civil matter now.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Nothing boils my blood more than "No english". Don't want to learn it, GTFO!!!!

speakenglish.gif

English_Mother_Fucker.jpeg

635141-english_motherfucker_shakespeare_english_motherfucker_do_you_demotivational_poster_125691.jpg

speak-english.gif

speakorgetout.gif

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
UPDATE:

NEW ORLEANS — The Mid-City convenience store employee who last week put a parking boot on an in-service ambulance was arrested late Tuesday for violating federal immigration law.

Ahmed Maloum Sidi Aleywa, a 33-year-old Mauritanian national, was taken into custody last night by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, according to ICE spokesman Bryan Cox. Aleywa entered the United States February through Miami, according to Cox. He had a tourist visa, which allows for a six-month stay. Aleywa was authorized to be in the country only through August and is not allowed to work or be employed here, Cox noted.

Aleywa was cited by New Orleans police for simple criminal damage to property after he put a restrictive parking boot on an ambulance, amid a emergency service call Friday. Aleywa was working for Quicky’s convenience store at the corner of Tulane and Broad in Mid-City. A worker at the store said Monday that Aleywa had been fired.

Source: Man who 'booted' ambulance arrested

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
timlinson said:
UPDATE:

NEW ORLEANS — The Mid-City convenience store employee who last week put a parking boot on an in-service ambulance was arrested late Tuesday for violating federal immigration law.

Ahmed Maloum Sidi Aleywa, a 33-year-old Mauritanian national, was taken into custody last night by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, according to ICE spokesman Bryan Cox. Aleywa entered the United States February through Miami, according to Cox. He had a tourist visa, which allows for a six-month stay. Aleywa was authorized to be in the country only through August and is not allowed to work or be employed here, Cox noted.

Aleywa was cited by New Orleans police for simple criminal damage to property after he put a restrictive parking boot on an ambulance, amid a emergency service call Friday. Aleywa was working for Quicky’s convenience store at the corner of Tulane and Broad in Mid-City. A worker at the store said Monday that Aleywa had been fired.

Justice served, probably allot of pressure from the Fire Department and public to get this done.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Probably get moved to CA, released, get a DL, welfare, and a new Lexus...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
timlinson said:
UPDATE:

Deport his ass, fine the store owner for violating the law.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.