Upfitting a Nissan NV2500

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I'm installing ambers for a utility contractor who has one of these god awful ugly MFers as a fiber optic splicing vehicle. Drives nice though I'll give it that but it BARELY fits into the install bay it's so damn tall (it's the high roof version).

Here's the equipment as it stands. Please don't bother suggesting anything else, this is set in stone.

- All Whelen equipment

- 1 x L10 beacon on custom bracket on front slope roof

- 2 x TIR3 on front grille

- 1 x Ion surface mount on each side just above top of door line

- 2 x TIR3 on rear doors about waist level

- TANF85 Traffic Advisor on roof

Everything will be synced and set to alternating ComAlert 75 except the L10 which doesn't have sync. Not sure what pattern I'll leave that on.

Has anyone ever upfitted one of these behemoths? I need to get power, sync, and activation in from the engine compartment so I'll run an 18ga 4 conductor strobe type cable, I just need to know where to go through the firewall (or elsewhere).

The L10 is going to be interesting because there is NO way to get to that sloped roof without using some sort of scaffold. The good news is they've been running this truck for years with no lighting at all so anything right now is a bonus. I got all the TIR3s and Ions mounted, tested, and roughed in today and that was a good six hours.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Solvarex said:
The L10 is going to be interesting because there is NO way to get to that sloped roof without using some sort of scaffold.

Do you have I beams in the ceiling of your shop, a harness and ladder? If so..

Superman that L10!!!!

2UZE6_AS01.JPG

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=DBI2103143

Whatever you do, we need photos.. more of the install process for the L10. :thumbsup:

real suggestion, two ladders rated for temp scaffolding (normally those multi position ladders are rated for this) on either side of the vehicle, and some 2x12 boards stacked on one another between the two said ladders around the height you need to work at Oh, still use above mentioned harness tied off to a sturdy part of the ceiling.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
I had to put a radio in one of these one time, the only way I could get power is run a wire through the boot in the drivers door. I tried an "L" bracket on the fender, but the hood hit too much. I ended up drilling a hole in the panel that runs between the hood and the windshield.

For that many wires you may just have to drill a small hole through the floorboard. Sorry I'm not much help, but they aren't as easy as other foreign vehicles.

The Ford Transit is not much better though, FYI.

Jordan,TCFD

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Well I buttoned most of it up today. It actually wasn't bad to work on, just a bit tricky. The overhead console is a pain in the ass to remove and mount, definitely a two person job.

I got power though the firewall by pulling the grommet around the hood release cable which opened up a nice sized hole. It had looked like someone tried going through there once before (brake controller installer most likely) but found it was too tight. Worked perfectly for an 18/4 cable with 1/4" loom.

The L10 bracket wasn't ready today but they needed the van back for tomorrow. Right now there's some 14" of 18/3 sticking unceremoniously out the middle of the roof and taped down onto it because I was NOT pulling that console and headliner out again! Bracket's ready tomorrow so I'll throw the beacon on later.

I actually found it wasn't difficult to put a ladder against the roof beside the driver's door and lean over to work on it.

That TANF85, holy crap. I wrote a note to the crews instructing them NOT to use high power anytime at night.

Pics and video later.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.