Upgrading Harley Patrol

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Brand spanking new, except the leasing company threw an old box on with old strobes... Looking for feedback in regards to my super LED idea.

All this bike has is 2 front par 36 strobes, 4 rear 500 series strobes, and 2 side 6e series strobes..

Here is what i'm looking to do:

-Replace 4 rear 500 strobes with 500 super LED.

-Replace 2 side 6E with 600 series super LED.

-Replace front par36 with super LED.

Now I understand that the screw patterns are the same for the super LED's, but the super LEDS arnt deep like the strobes, so I'll have to somehow cover the holes with plastic and epoxy on the inside to keep this weather proof correct?

Its a really bad set-up. If you click the rear switch, one 4 outlet supply powers 2 rear and the 2 side, and the front switch does the other 2 rear and the 2 front.

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i301_StreetDodge_IMG_9017.jpg

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i301_StreetDodge_IMG_7936.jpg

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i301_StreetDodge_IMG_7352.jpg

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i301_StreetDodge_IMG_9687.jpg

Also, can anyone give tips on installing a windshield mount Whelen LINZ6 Array? Depending on budgets I might order one.

needforspeed

May 23, 2010
Massachusetts
I just did exactly what you want to do.

For the rear I used 4 liberty modules with a flasher. All the same mounting, no glue, no nothing. No water issues.

Sides...pop out strobe, pop in LED....

Front....same thing.

I kept all the wiring and used AMP connectors where appropriate....I also added LinZ6 on the fork with harley vertical mount and wired into Par36 harness.

All done in about 3 Hours.......Now the cost was not much as we scrounged from around the shop. Did have to buy Harley Brackets <$30.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Is everything remaining blue? Any possibility of mixing in at least one amber and maybe one clear? Would be nice to have that amber to the rear.

If your budget permits, the extra third light up front would be sweet. Hell, even if you have to stay cheap, even a used surface mount LED bought from the for sale section on here would be nice on an L bracket.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Needforspeed, your the man thanks! Actually the LT just approved a Whelen LINZ6 Lightbar for the windshield. I rescued some LED modules from a smashed lightbar, just going to add a flasher and find some cheap GEN 1 600's and I'll be good to go. The LED's will be two upper blues, one lower blue and left lower amber just like our cruisers to mix it up a little bit. Thanks for the input!

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
Just re-did UMASS Amherst's Harley Davidson fleet all LEDs and added 2 more 600 series Super LEDs to the sides of the radio boxes and added TIR6 on the front fenders along with TIR3s on a 45* angle with the under turn signal brackets. If you need any help feel free to contact me for more info or assistance.

Jeff @ EVS

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
LED said:
Needforspeed, your the man thanks! Actually the LT just approved a Whelen LINZ6 Lightbar for the windshield. I rescued some LED modules from a smashed lightbar, just going to add a flasher and find some cheap GEN 1 600's and I'll be good to go. The LED's will be two upper blues, one lower blue and left lower amber just like our cruisers to mix it up a little bit. Thanks for the input!

if you can afford to, i would avoid buying some cheap gen 1 LEDs for the side. ideally, i'd look at the m-series as a first choice, but if not, there are many large genIII surface mounts that will give you brighter side warning.

i look forward to seeing the finished product!

also, for the modules that u rescued, are they all blue. for the rear modules, to make a large footprint, i would sync all 4 of them so that the top right and bottom right modules flash together, and then the top left and bottom left modules flash together. i think it'd look way better than and x-pattern

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
EmerVehSolutions said:
Just re-did UMASS Amherst's Harley Davidson fleet all LEDs and added 2 more 600 series Super LEDs to the sides of the radio boxes and added TIR6 on the front fenders along with TIR3s on a 45* angle with the under turn signal brackets. If you need any help feel free to contact me for more info or assistance.

Jeff @ EVS
Obviously you signed on and posted today, please check your F/S thread(s), and PM's, and get back to me.

suprtpr

May 21, 2010
Alabama
If you have the crash bars that wrap around the side bags, then you might want to look into adding some lights there, it is a really good places to add some aditional lighting.

I have some LED modules that attach between the double tube style crash bars that protect the bags. They in addition to the top box mounted LEDs really help with side visibility. With a bike you can't have too much rear or side lighting.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
After a week or so got a budget approved. Not what I wanted but its not bad. Front PAR 36's to be replaced with 2 extended super LED Blue/Blue. Rear 500's on box upgraded to GEN 1 LED out of smashed LFL, new flasher. Windshield LINZ6 lightbar blue, 1 red/blue ION on rear box. The 2 side 600's to remain strobe unless I can get someone to trade me the phantom I have for 2 gen 1 600's. A good selling point was that we had the bike off for maybe 2 minutes with the strobes going and it died in the middle of the memorial day parade. Now my final plan is to either find cheap 600's or keep the strobes and get a mini nova 2 outlet supply to run them.

V

VTfireftr

Now the most important upgrade, trade the harley for a Victory Police Pak Cross Country. (I wish I ahd a direct link, but I don't sorry).

More power, torque, lower center of gravity. Not too mention higher American made content!

Could resist.

Marc

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.