UPRR loco's about to fall into river

microman

May 20, 2010
KC Metro
NEAR BURLINGTON, KAN. - A bridge near Wellington, Kan. is starting to collapse after a train got stalled. Sheriff's deputies as well as Union Pacific officials are reporting the bridge is buckling under the train. It's possible the train is carrying hazardous materials.

Everyone has been evacuated from the train, but crews are worried that the bridge will collapse into the Chickaski River. It's unknown why the train had to stop. KSNW contributed to this report.

This area has 6 inches of rain in about two hours yesterday. Apparantly the engineer saw that the bridge was mis-aligned but couldn't get it stopped in time. Not a good situation.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.fox4kc.com/media/photo/2010-06/54339842.jpg

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Just throw it in 4low and off they go, right? That looks like one hell of a mess to figure out.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Hey steve.... Yes bob.....Pull over when we get on this bridge... I want to pee off of it. Ok..... And another stupid train engineer looses his job.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
how about unhook the cars, get them pulled out of there... then hook to the engines and yank them back? Doesn't look like rocket science, and if the cars aren't hooked to it, you're only out an engine if the bridge collapses and no hazmat spill.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ohh its so hardto figure out how to fix it?

how bout connect engines to the other side and pull it?

(we posted ideas at the same time)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
:D

yes, we did.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
Two nice SD70s (the front one SD70M, the rear looks like a SD70ACe) at a few million a pop, even if they get the train cars pulled off that's an expensive mess if the bridge keeps going. They might be able to get the rear engine off easily, but that front one really looks precarious.

That and the mess that losing a bridge does to a railroad. Yes, I'm a train geek too.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
This never happened to the Dukes of Hazzard.

I wonder if railroad cops have to write crash reports?

"Wanted" was on HBO the other night, maybe they were acting out the train chase scene.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Train Pulled Off Collapsing Bridge
Officials Feared Hazardous Cargo Plunging Into River

POSTED: 1:32 pm CDT June 15, 2010

UPDATED: 9:11 pm CDT June 15, 2010

[email: Train Pulled Off Collapsing Bridge] Email [PRINT: Train Pulled Off Collapsing Bridge] Print

[COMMENTS: Train Pulled Off Collapsing Bridge] Comments

(2)

Bookmark and Share

WELLINGTON, Kan. -- A Union Pacific train stalled on a buckled bridge over the Chickaski bridge and officials had feared cars carrying hazardous materials will plunge into the river.

The Wellington Daily News reported that the train stopped southwest of Wellington Tuesday morning. The newspaper said everyone is off the train safely.

The train, which has 66 cars, was safely towed off the bridge late Tuesday. Nothing is believed to have collapsed into the floodwaters below.

The bridge remains closed until repairs are made.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/23907421/detail.html

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
good thing it got towed off, however what i would have done is ditched the front engines, they can fall in the river. The important part is to get the hazmat out of the river with out spilling whatever they are carrying.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
kinnelonfire75 said:
good thing it got towed off, however what i would have done is ditched the front engines, they can fall in the river. The important part is to get the hazmat out of the river with out spilling whatever they are carrying.

How much fuel do you think is in those to locomotives? Some how I don't think UP was thinking it would be OK for them to fall in the river.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2,000 gallons of diesel per engine. thats safe to drink :shock:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Jarred J. said:
2,000 gallons of diesel per engine. thats safe to drink :shock:

Nothing a Brita Water filter can't fix... :lol: :lol: :lol:

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
ryan said:
Hey steve.... Yes bob.....Pull over when we get on this bridge... I want to pee off of it. Ok..... And another stupid train engineer looses his job.

honestly most RR engineers are not stupid and i take offense to this. i have been around trains my whole life

there could be any number of reasons it stalled

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.