US Coast Guard on the Detroit River

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
US Coast Guard Response Boat—Medium 45626 headed upriver, perhaps back to its base at the Belle Isle Coast Guard Station, on the Detroit River. Taken from the Detroit Riverwalk, Windsor ON (Canada) is on the far (southern) bank. Note the US flag on the Canadian house in the second shot.

P1240835t.jpg

P1240863t.jpg

Reactions: tsquale

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Fast looking boat

Wikipedia says 42.5 knots (78.7 km/h; 48.9 mph) max.

When I first saw this boat, it appeared to be closer to the Canadian shore and the fact it says "Police" on it led me to believe it was a Windsor PD boat. After I saw it's a Coast Guard boat, I checked Google images but could not find any other examples of USCG RB-Ms marked "Police" like this one.

dpd4703

May 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
I believe that STA Belle Isle's 45 MLB has the "POLICE" decals because it participates in the Shiprider Program where RCMP Constables are embarked upon USCG platforms to conduct joint US-Canadian LE Ops.  Probably added the decals since the Canadian CG is non-LE and  the average Canuck might not yield to a USCG vessel trying to board them except in INTL or US waters.  The Shiprider Program allows for USCG vessels to operate in Canadian waters while RCMP is embarked upon them.

You won't find POLICE on USCG platforms at your typical SAR stations.

Reactions: jph2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.