Use non-CDM Mic with CDM

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hello ELB-

We are looking to add a handset to our CDM1250 radio, but do not want to use the plastic-y [Broken External Image]:http://www.motorolasolutions.com/we...Static Files/HMN4098_Telephone_Handset_LG.jpg style, but rather the "Older" style. [Broken External Image]:http://www.motorolasolutions.com/we...HLN1457A/_IMAGES/_StaticFiles/HLN1457A_LG.jpg. Is there any way to make either an adapter, or re-pin the handset, whether the XTL version of the mic, or the Spectra version so it will work with the CDM?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'm going to say yes but it's going to be fun to figure out the pinouts.

Batlabs would be the best place to ask this question.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
If you can determine the Motorola model number for either handset, you most likely will find a schematic online with a little internet searching.

The mic connector and the accessory connector pinouts for the CDM's are both well documented on batlabs.

Once you have documentation for both, it is an easy matter to do the rewiring.

A word of caution: the mic connector on the CDM's is a 10 pin RJ-50. At first glance, it looks just like the much more common 8 pin RJ-45. You may have difficulty finding the RJ-50's. I have them and the proper crimping tool. If you decide to go through the mic connector, let me know and we can work out something.

If you decide to connect the handset through the accessory connector, you will need the right pins and possibly the connector itself. There is a seller on Ebay called mre1032 who has all that stuff ready for use. He's a retired cop and has an excellent reputation in the radio world.

If you use the accessory connector, you may have to make some minor programming changes depending on which pins you use. The programmable ones are documented in the chart on batlabs.

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Steve- I have the model numbers and pinouts, and figured using the mic port would be easier than the acc'y port. Asked the question on Batlabs with no response. Would it be easier to just cut the RJ-50 end of the mic cord off a normal palm mic, and splice the wires in the middle of the wire? JM

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Steve- I have the model numbers and pinouts, and figured using the mic port would be easier than the acc'y port. Asked the question on Batlabs with no response. Would it be easier to just cut the RJ-50 end of the mic cord off a normal palm mic, and splice the wires in the middle of the wire? JM
If you want both a hand mic and a remote handset, you'd have to use the accessory connector for the handset.

Splicing microphone cable wiring is OK, I guess, unless there is a shielded line or lines in there. It's not my preferred method of doing something like this. You can use a regular RJ-45 (8 pin), but only if you do not need DTMF capability through the mic jack. It may be easier to find the connector and correct crimping die.

Personally, I'd use the accessory connector. While I was at it, I'd add ignition sense and maybe a remote loudspeaker as well. You might want to study the 20 pin accessory connector chart and see if there are other functions you might want.

CmdrWill

Sep 16, 2012
Calif.
I know this is a little late. If you trim away the side ears in the RJ45 plugs it should clear the two extra pins in the radio. The newer RJ45 plugs have clearance for the two extra pins in the later 10 pin radios.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.