USGI teflon, or Magpul?

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
NPS Ranger said:
In 5.56. Like the title says. Anyone have an opinion?

I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I've used both the firearms instructor swears only USGI, the LES swears Magpul because people have dented the metal ones dropping them during range time.

Personally I use Magpul @ home, USGI @ work because that's what they give me.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I love my Magpuls. Have to use steel at work because it's not my ammo. Check out the unofficial torture tests of PMAGs on the web. I like the one where dude shot a mag with an AK, trimmed the exposed spring, stretched it out and continued to run rounds through the mag.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Magpul will definitely stand up to abuse better, and I've had zero feeding issues with them. Lancer brand polymer mags also seem to be getting a good rep, and since they have metal lips I don't believe you need to keep them capped like you do the Magpuls if stored loaded.

I can't speak to the reliability of USGI mags since all the ones I own have CS springs and Magpul followers in 'em which makes them work just as good. You may have slightly more to worry about when you drop them during training, since the feed lips are more fragile than the poly mags. Personally, I use a Magpul in the rifle and have USGI mags in the go bag, since I don't want to have to remove the storage covers in a hurry. If I was required to use USGI mags, I'd swap the stock springs and followers for what I said above and be perfectly happy.

On a related topic, when I get my uniform allowance in April I'm gonna purchase a 60-round Surefire AR mag to keep in the gun. That ought to buy me a few minutes time to resolve any problems I come across. ;)

Drewstang

May 25, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have a mixture of mags I use, but I prefer my Pmags. I like that you can leave them loaded forever with the cap on, and not have to worry about the feed lips getting weak and they are extremely durable. I just bought an off brand Beta Mag, and I'm going to range test it in the next few weeks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.