Using LED Driving Lamps With a Sho-Me Headlight Flasher

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
I have a friend that currently has a set of halogen driving lights on the front of his truck and he wants to convert over to LED. It also has a Sho-Me multi pattern headlight flasher so that he can choose either flashing patterns or steady burn with the high beam override activated. I know that chances are the LEDs won't work without some sort of resistor being placed in line in order to be compatible with the regular flasher. Has anyone ever done this or can point me in the right direction as to what I need and, if it is a resistor, what size? Thanks in advance.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
PC Comms said:
I have a friend that currently has a set of halogen driving lights on the front of his truck and he wants to convert over to LED. It also has a Sho-Me multi pattern headlight flasher so that he can choose either flashing patterns or steady burn with the high beam override activated. I know that chances are the LEDs won't work without some sort of resistor being placed in line in order to be compatible with the regular flasher. Has anyone ever done this or can point me in the right direction as to what I need and, if it is a resistor, what size? Thanks in advance.
Is the flasher already controlling the headlights? If so, then adding LED's should not require a resistor. The current draw and resistance of the headlights should be more than sufficient to allow the flasher to operate properly.

If the flasher is one of the newer electronic-mechanical ones, it may not need resistors either even for just the LED's without the headlights..

If the flasher is solid state, but designed for halogens and incandescents, it should still work because it does not depend on sufficient current draw to activate the on/off. The downside is you will have slower flash patterns designed for halogens and incandescents.

The need for resistors alongside an LED is two-fold. If it's an old thermal electro-mechanical, it needs sufficient current draw to heat up the bi-metal switch. If it is a newer car with some type of computer control over the lights, it wants sufficient current draw to know that there is a halogen or incandescent bulb there. Not enough current draw with the flash activated creates a "bulb out" condition and thus the fast flash.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Hi Steve

It is definitely a solid state flasher. (I believe it is either a 03.W3125 or am 03.W3126) The flasher will be exclusively for the driving lights (it isn't hooked into the regular headlights or any other source of draw) We tried hooking it up a few minutes ago and it flashes, but not the way it should. The patterns are all haywire. Kind of at a loss on this one.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Steve0625 said:
The downside is you will have slower flash patterns designed for halogens and incandescents.

There is no downside to having a slower flash pattern!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
PC Comms said:
Hi Steve

It is definitely a solid state flasher. (I believe it is either a 03.W3125 or am 03.W3126) The flasher will be exclusively for the driving lights (it isn't hooked into the regular headlights or any other source of draw) We tried hooking it up a few minutes ago and it flashes, but not the way it should. The patterns are all haywire. Kind of at a loss on this one.

How do you have it wired?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
HILO said:
There is no downside to having a slower flash pattern!
I generally agree with your position, but for the purposes of this particular thread, I was more pointing out that the faster "strobe" type LED patterns would not be available from a headlight flasher.

I'm a huge fan of the old, slow "Boom! Boom!" patterns.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.