Vacuum-Mount Beacons?

supraphonic

Aug 18, 2018
SoCal
Question for the experts here: Over the course of the COVID stay-at-home orders, I've been doing some local government fieldwork in my POV instead of our usual agency-owned vehicles. I have an older FedSig magnet-mount strobe beacon, but my POV has a full glass roof and won't support magnetic beacons.

I recently picked up a Whelen Avenger II hoping that, for occasional parking along city streets, the visibility while mounted on my rear deck could work, but the suction cups won't work around the defroster elements, and mounting it higher ends up blocking rear-view visibility and really restricting off-axis visibility, so I think I need to be looking back at beacons again.

What's out there that's compatible with non-magnetic surfaces? I like the Whelen catalog but the L32 is ancient, and I'm not a fan of the stock SignalAlert 75 pattern you're stuck with on the accessory plug models. (If there was a way to pick up the R65 version here with its clear dome and 120 fpm double-flash, I'd be all over that.) The only other alternative I've dug up is the Code 3 SB48, but it's more expensive, looks like it's just a rebranded Ecco model, and I haven't heard great things about recent quality.

Anything I'm missing worth looking into?

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Question for the experts here: Over the course of the COVID stay-at-home orders, I've been doing some local government fieldwork in my POV instead of our usual agency-owned vehicles. I have an older FedSig magnet-mount strobe beacon, but my POV has a full glass roof and won't support magnetic beacons.

I recently picked up a Whelen Avenger II hoping that, for occasional parking along city streets, the visibility while mounted on my rear deck could work, but the suction cups won't work around the defroster elements, and mounting it higher ends up blocking rear-view visibility and really restricting off-axis visibility, so I think I need to be looking back at beacons again.

What's out there that's compatible with non-magnetic surfaces? I like the Whelen catalog but the L32 is ancient, and I'm not a fan of the stock SignalAlert 75 pattern you're stuck with on the accessory plug models. (If there was a way to pick up the R65 version here with its clear dome and 120 fpm double-flash, I'd be all over that.) The only other alternative I've dug up is the Code 3 SB48, but it's more expensive, looks like it's just a rebranded Ecco model, and I haven't heard great things about recent quality.

Anything I'm missing worth looking into?

Out of curiosity... why not?
IMO its the best available pattern for a number of reasons.

supraphonic

Aug 18, 2018
SoCal
Out of curiosity... why not?
IMO its the best available pattern for a number of reasons.

Hard to say, I know it's a standard for good reason. Maybe it's from a lot of the ECE-spec models I've been seeing, but to my eye the quint flash feels too busy next to a double flash with a good amount of on time. I like 75 on full bars or with a second beacon where you can pair it, but for a single standalone beacon 75 feels too slow to demonstrate a sense of urgency.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.